Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this sounds weird, but does anyone remember a crime novel author who's main character, a cop, ate rather spectatular sandwiches? The author went into great detail on each sandwich, and often the proper libation (a beer usually) to go with it.

I remember the stories were pretty good but dont remember the author's, or the character's, name.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm guessing it was a Robert B. Parker novel and the detective was Spenser.  My husband and I read a bunch of Parker's books, and Spenser, when he wasn't hunting someone down and generally kicking butt, was in his kitchen making delicious meals, and yes, he was usually drinking a beer--sometimes he used the beer as a sauce.

Could that be it?

Julia

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Julia444 said:
I'm guessing it was a Robert B. Parker novel and the detective was Spenser. My husband and I read a bunch of Parker's books, and Spenser, when he wasn't hunting someone down and generally kicking butt, was in his kitchen making delicious meals, and yes, he was usually drinking a beer--sometimes he used the beer as a sauce.

Could that be it?

Julia
Mmm, it doesnt sound familiar. The setting was NYC, I'm almost sure....and he used to order them at delis. (I think)

But I'll check out that author, thanks!

·
Registered
924 Posts
9MMare said:
Mmm, it doesnt sound familiar. The setting was NYC, I'm almost sure....and he used to order them at delis. (I think)

But I'll check out that author, thanks!
Are you thinking of Lawrence Sanders' Deadly Sins novels? His main character was named Edward X. Delaney and he made his sandwiches at home -- a variety of breads, cheeses, meats -- each was different and paired with a different beer. It definitely makes you hungry to read it, unless you're vegetarian of course. Funny you should mention the sandwiches; I was just thinking about that series... an oldie but goodie. 8)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree with Trophywife007. Lawrence Sanders' Deadly Sins came to mind even before I saw her answers. I recall he used to eat the sandwiches standing over the kitchen sink...

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Score! Yes, thankyou! It is Sanders.....I checked out his books on Amazon and remembered well The First Deadly Sin with the killer using an ice-axe. It was a good book, maybe I'll check out some of his others...I think I did read more than one but it was at least 20 yrs ago.

Any authors here have similar styles? Or characters with specific epicurean interests?  ;)

Thanks!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Okay, Lawrence Sanders it is!  But you'd probably like the Spenser novels.  THE GODWULF MANUSCRIPT is the first one.

Meanwhile, I'll have to check out Lawrence Sanders.  :)

And if you don't mind the more classical style of mystery, the Nero Wolfe series always had some wonderful food in them--Wolfe wasb according to the Nero Wolfe society, "both a gourmet and a gourmand."  Since I am more of the sandwich person you mentioned earlier, I am not sure of the difference between those two, but I know the books always made me hungry.  :0

Julia

·
Registered
876 Posts
Aw, I swear this thread's making me gain weight. Every time I see the title, I'm off to the kitchen in search of sustenance.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Heh heh, thank you everyone. Sorry for making ya'll hungry.

I'm not that into 'food' in my fiction altho I love learning more about lots of things, like wines, for instance, if a character is into them. Dick Francis did a great job of introducing new industries, arts, skills, interests, etc. (the gem trade, being a pilot, being a chef, etc etc,)

But I realized something about 'the sandwiches.' Altho I tend to be all about the evidence and story-oriented details, sometimes in the middle of an intense plot, such brief and unrelated diversions give your brain a rest and maybe, an opportunity to process (without being annoying personal distractions from the characters' lives).

·
Registered
99 Posts
I seem to remember that Spenser was quite the gourmand, but I don't recall him having a particular affinity for sandwiches.

·
Registered
924 Posts
KenIsaacson said:
I recall he used to eat the sandwiches standing over the kitchen sink...
... standing in shoes of "kangaroo leather polished to a high gloss."

The things that stick out in your mind, lol. 8)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this sounds weird, but does anyone remember a crime novel author who's main character, a cop, ate rather spectatular sandwiches? The author went into great detail on each sandwich, and often the proper libation (a beer usually) to go with it.

I remember the stories were pretty good but dont remember the author's, or the character's, name.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Lawrence Sanders

I have told my kids about reading his novels years ago and all about his delicious wet sandwiches!!! 😂

1 - 18 of 18 Posts