Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I haven't been around long, but I've seen a few threads that mention authors who are selling thousands of ebooks every month (which, btw, is fantastic). I was wondering if people had their own lists of books they fervently believed should be selling up the wazoo but, for some reason, just aren't? Or otherwise seem to be underperforming in relation to their obvious quality? Which books are you rooting for? Excepting your own, of course. :) (Can I do that? I have no idea.)

If there's a more appropriate place for this thread, pls go ahead and move it. I thought it might be helpful to give those books a boost, showcase great writing, and maybe even identify ways to help those books out (or, perhaps more importantly, identify what's inadvertently hurting them), but yeah, like I said, I haven't been around long, so I apologize if this isn't quite kosher in some way...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just realized this thread is an excellent way for me to be distracted all afternoon and then spend a bunch of money on amazon. Go me?

Thanks for the rec :)

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Daniel's other book, Gods of Dream, is also a personal favorite of mine.

Let's see... Cate Rowan's Kismet's Kiss:

L.K. Rigel's romance series - here's the first one:

I'm sure there are lots more, but that's off the top of my head.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I read this recently and really enjoyed it.  It hasn't been out long so maybe it will do well.  If not, it's criminally underrated!

Angelina

·
Registered
632 Posts
Oh, thanks for the recommends!!!  I've had the Daniel Arenson one on my list for a while, but the others I haven't tried yet.

Except for Space Junque.  I second that nomination!

G

·
Ryne Billings said:
Yeah, I have to agree there. The author is actually on KB, though he doesn't seem to post that much.
Really? I've never heard of that book before. It does look like something I'd be interested in from both the cover and the blurb.

G

·
Ryne Billings said:
I was lucky to find out about it.

He's doing a giveaway, so if you want a free copy, you could visit his blog.
I posted on his blog. Hopefully the giveaway helps him.

Now I think I'm going to have to bow out of this thread. I don't know about anybody else, but talking about talented authors who should be doing way better, way better than me even, really hits me. There are about a dozen books that I keep an eye on, and it just makes no sense. It sucks that people aren't getting even a little of what they deserve for their hard work.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Gosh, there are some great looking books here.  Thanks for posting this thread.  Just got my Kindle and looking for some new reads.  :)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
foreverjuly said:
Now I think I'm going to have to bow out of this thread. I don't know about anybody else, but talking about talented authors who should be doing way better, way better than me even, really hits me. There are about a dozen books that I keep an eye on, and it just makes no sense. It sucks that people aren't getting even a little of what they deserve for their hard work.
Oh man, I thought about this when I posted the thread. Danced around a little bit in my head, wondering if this was just too depressing...I mean, I don't know. I didn't expect a whole lot of traction on this thread because it is, in some ways, a depressing topic. And while I haven't published anything yet (so this is only a pain I can look forward to), my sense so far is that there is definitely a critical mass effect to look out for -- lots of ebooks available, lots of diligent, consistent promotion, and, if you're luck isn't the AWESOME with a cherry on top (which, statistically, is most of us), lots and lots of time.

So even though my initially motivation was, "hey, I want more great books to read," I eventually decided it might be better to try to give those authors a leg up? Again, I don't know. Ask me again when I've published my first ebook and have been staring at that lamented beige screen for a few months.

G

·
genevieveaclark said:
Oh man, I thought about this when I posted the thread. Danced around a little bit in my head, wondering if this was just too depressing...I mean, I don't know. I didn't expect a whole lot of traction on this thread because it is, in some ways, a depressing topic. And while I haven't published anything yet (so this is only a pain I can look forward to), my sense so far is that there is definitely a critical mass effect to look out for -- lots of ebooks available, lots of diligent, consistent promotion, and, if you're luck isn't the AWESOME with a cherry on top (which, statistically, is most of us), lots and lots of time.

So even though my initially motivation was, "hey, I want more great books to read," I eventually decided it might be better to try to give those authors a leg up? Again, I don't know. Ask me again when I've published my first ebook and have been staring at that lamented beige screen for a few months.
Oh, you definitely shouldn't feel bad about posting the thread, Genevieve. It's a great topic, and I hope the authors mentioned here do get some extra attention. You're right that it does take a huge amount of promotional work to even get yourself in position to take off, but at some point Amazon takes over to such a degree that many of us who do have a lot of luck really can barely take credit for our success. Again, I hope my post didn't bum anyone out. I'll just have to shake some of the cobwebs out of my wallet and do my part. ;)

·
Registered
758 Posts
Aaron Polson's work, across the board.

His covers are awesome. His writing is very good. His books are extremely affordable. He's in his thirties and yet he's sold over a hundred short stories to magazines and various markets. Let me double emphasize "sold."

And when he posts about his sales for a given month, it throws me into a dark place where I know there is no reason or justice in the world.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I honestly think indie success is equal parts of
* product
* hard work after the product is ready
* luck

Yes, I'm perfectly aware that lots of hard work goes into making the product to begin with ;)

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
He's doing better than me, to be sure, but I'd rank this one at least on par with King's UR, if not slightly better:

1 - 20 of 108 Posts