Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am returning my Kindle. I think the idea of the Kindle is wonderful and I like the idea of ordering books from the Kindle store but itthe realization of this device leaves much to be desired. My overall impression is that it was designed by rank amateurs in the design of electronic end-user products. it seems to be designed for the convenience of the designers rather than that of the end-users. Try to imagine what this product would look like if it were designed by Apple.

To be more specific, here are my salient complaints:

1. The Kindle is awkward to hold. The format and placement of the page controls are awkward to use.

2. I found the positive-negative-positive blinking of the screen during page turning annoying.

3. The search function is user-unfriendly (I’m tempted to use the word awkward again) and is basically unsatisfactory when compared with search functions on other products.

4.  I like the idea of the text-to-speech function but it is of very poor quality compared with, for example, the Apple Macintosh. It seems to mispronounce most words that do not follow the normal rules of English pronunciation.

5. I live in an area where the cell phone coverage is poor and it seems also poor for Whispernet. so I am frequently unable to use the communications function.

6. The first prize for awkwardness goes to the keyboard.

7. The 5-position selector switch makes the moving up and down a page or a menu very awkward.

As you can see, the defining term for the Kindle is “awkward”. I think they should find a competent design team and start from scratch before someone else steals theirß thunder.

Regards, a normally happy Amazon.com customer

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
fric. . . thank you for your opinion and your first post on KindleBoards.  I expect you'll find that there are a few people here who might agree with one or two of your points in part.  But most of the folks who post here regularly don't find the Kindle awkward at all.  I'm sorry you're disappointed.  If you want to sell your unit you might try the Marketplace Forum down below. . . . . .

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I can understand not liking and returning it. Its not for everyone. But signing up for a Kindle related board in order to post your "rejection letter" doesn't make much sense. Does he/she think this is Amazon Customer Service?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Let me get this straight: you went to the trouble of finding this board and taking the steps to register, for the sole purpose of airing your grievances about the Kindle, for which said board is named and the unifying interest of the members of said board.

Why not just return it and move on? What are you hoping to accomplish? Winning some argument or proving a point?

I would say you are just slightly outnumbered around here...

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I didn't feel the need for buying a kindle until they had a one-time discount Oprah promotion late in October '08.  When I first saw it, I thought it was cool but that it was a way for Amazon to get all my book business, since you couldn't buy kindle books anywhere else.  I didn't know about all the freebies of classic literature on other websites.  It was a tough decision, but once I ordered it, I never looked back and love using it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Marine Mom said:
Let me get this straight: you went to the trouble of finding this board and taking the steps to register, for the sole purpose of airing your grievances about the Kindle, for which said board is named and the unifying interest of the members of said board.

Why not just return it and move on? What are you hoping to accomplish? Winning some argument or proving a point?

I would say you are just slightly outnumbered around here...
Yeah what she said!!
Some people just want to rile people up. I am sure there is going to be some people who do like the Kindle or any other e-reader but, I think there are more people that like them and own them that not.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Okay, here's the deal:

It's not for everybody.

If fric doesn't like it, well he doesn't have to eat it. Send it back and get your refund. Thank you for the criticism; it is very much appreciated. No matter how informative or uninformative his critique was, it will in no way dissuade me from getting rid of mine. Was the sole purpose of his criticism at Kindleboards.com to convince people NOT to own one when the majority of the members already have one, or two, or three Kindles in their possession? Or was it more a rant than a criticism?

Now that I've brought that out, here's another deal: despite some of the trouble I have had with my Kindle previously, I LOVE IT! It's convenient; it's portable; and I could store a heck-of-a lot of books, subscriptions, and personal docs into it, which saves me space.

Again, thank you for the complaint, feel free to take your complaint to the "other side", and, if you want to, buy yourself a Sony E-Reader and, by all means, feel free to rant about that one too. :)

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
It is possible fric is not a troll, simply conflicted. . . .he's not happy with the Kindle but he really wants to be.  Maybe he's looking for some folks to explain why they are happy with it so he can determine if those reasons will work for him.

Fric finds holding the Kindle "awkward". . .this is incredibly subjective.  All I can say is that I don't.

The screen blink IS a little weird at first. . . .but I think we all got used to it pretty quickly.  I know I don't even notice it any more.

The search function is rudimentary. . .but I find it more than adequate for what I generally need to search for while I'm reading.  If I need something faster or more thorough I go to my computer.

My Kindle is 1st Gen so I can't comment on text-to-speech except to say that my tom-tom pronounces some things funny too. . .I still know what it means, and usually it just makes me laugh.  I realize if you're 'reading' a serious book that could be annoying rather than amusing.

My WN coverage is fine. . . .I do feel for those who have poor coverage. . . .still an awful lot of folks seem to do just fine transferring books via their computer and USB.  The device is meant to be primarily a reader. . . .the WN instant gratification thing is gravy, but mashed potatoes are still yummy.  :D

Keyboard is no big deal.  Certainly not as good as on a standard or even laptop computer. . .but I don't use it for typing anything too long either.  I would say no worse than my cell phone keyboard. . . . .

Again, I have a 1st Gen that has the scroll wheel.  I think it's pretty cool. . . .but I've played with a Kindle with the 5 way joystick and I think I could get used to it.  Would be willing to try if someone gave me one for my very own!  :D

My defining term for the Kindle is "AWESOME"

·
Registered
63 Posts
Chad Winters (#102) said:
I can understand not liking and returning it. Its not for everyone. But signing up for a Kindle related board in order to post your "rejection letter" doesn't make much sense. Does he/she think this is Amazon Customer Service?
Upon further reflection, I think Chad may have a point. The evidence points to fric being under the misguided impression that Kindleboards somehow represents Amazon CS, including the sign off as "Amazon Customer". It's likely that this will be his/her solitary post here.

I just hope s/he isn't waiting for the mods to issue a return label! ::)

·
Registered
286 Posts
fric said:
As you can see, the defining term for the Kindle is "awkward". I think they should find a competent design team and start from scratch before someone else steals theirß thunder.
After carefully reading that sentence, maybe we should suggest fric get an invisible one.

·
Registered
711 Posts
My rebuttal;

1) Awkward to hold? Well that is simply a matter of opinion. I'm quite comfortable with the Next page buttons  where they are placed. I find that holding the Sony Prs-700 is rather awkward to hold and page through books. This is a matter of personal preference, not a "problem" with the device.

2)  The screen flash between pages is something held in common by ALL e-ink ereaders; at the current point in time, there is nothing that can be done about it. Most Kindle/other ereader users grow accustomed to it after a short time of usage and it doesn't bother them after they get used to it.

3) Exactly how is the search function user-unfriendly compared to other products? Which other products?

4) Again, that is a matter of opinion; I think my Kindle's TTS is better than my Mac's. The option to make in male/female/slow down/speed up the rate of speech shouldn't easily be overlooked, either.

5) As to Sprint's Whispernet service area, it would have been wise to check the coverage map supplied by amazon before purchasing the Kindle; most rural areas of the united states are generally outside the coverage map. Also, the kindle is not a brick if you don't have whispernet; you can still download books by connecting your kindle to the computer and moving the file from your desktop to your kindle, a process that with most other e-readers, is the only option for getting reading material.

6) What is so awkward for the keyboard? I would find a touch screen to be awkward, so again, this is a matter of opinion and not the fault of the device.

7) You do know that there are other words aside from "Awkward" right? Please specify what is so unwieldy about the five way controller, like most of the kindle's other features, there is a slight learning curve until one becomes comfortable with the device.

As you can see, most of your complaints stem from a lack of familiarity with the device. Maybe, just maybe, if you gave the kindle more of a chance, you would find yourself more than happy with your purchase.

·
Registered
34 Posts
fric said:
I am returning my Kindle. I think the idea of the Kindle is wonderful and I like the idea of ordering books from the Kindle store but itthe realization of this device leaves much to be desired. My overall impression is that it was designed by rank amateurs in the design of electronic end-user products. it seems to be designed for the convenience of the designers rather than that of the end-users. Try to imagine what this product would look like if it were designed by Apple.

To be more specific, here are my salient complaints:

1. The Kindle is awkward to hold. The format and placement of the page controls are awkward to use.

I have arthritis in my hands, and I prefer holding the Kindle to holding a five pound hardcover book. I like the fact that if I'm holding it in my right hand the next page is under my thumb, and if I'm reading left handed, the same is true. I do wish their was a previous button on both sides.

2. I found the positive-negative-positive blinking of the screen during page turning annoying.

I like seeing the pages change in this way, it is rather like reading a paper book without having to actually turn the page

3. The search function is user-unfriendly (I'm tempted to use the word awkward again) and is basically unsatisfactory when compared with search functions on other products.

I'm not crazy about the tiny keyboard, but in a pinch, it works. I do most searches on my computer.

4. I like the idea of the text-to-speech function but it is of very poor quality compared with, for example, the Apple Macintosh. It seems to mispronounce most words that do not follow the normal rules of English pronunciation.

5. I live in an area where the cell phone coverage is poor and it seems also poor for Whispernet. so I am frequently unable to use the communications function.

6. The first prize for awkwardness goes to the keyboard.

7. The 5-position selector switch makes the moving up and down a page or a menu very awkward.

As you can see, the defining term for the Kindle is "awkward". I think they should find a competent design team and start from scratch before someone else steals theirß thunder.

Regards, a normally happy Amazon.com customer

If it was designed by Apple, it would cost over a thousand dollars!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts