Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm new here, but I'm looking forward to getting to know more of you.

My name is Mark Mekkes and I'm the author of the book Acting for Artists.

I'm interested in expanding my book by illustrating what I'm discussing through samples and critiques of other peoples art work. So my first question to the group is, what is the protocol of gathering and reprinting images of other people's work? Obviously I don't have a lot of money to throw at royalties. Is it common to get artists to agree to unpaid usage? It also seems awkward since many of the samples that I want to use would result in demonstrating the negative aspects of their approach. Has anyone dealt with anything similar?

I appreciate any thoughts or insights.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
You're stepping into a very tricky area.  There may be some fair use, or not, it all depends.

I recommend the book The Copyright Handbook.  After you read that cover to cover, talk to a lawyer before you proceed.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I can't imagine too many people being crazy about the idea of you making a profit for making negative comments about their work.

Just out of curiosity, what education do you have that qualifies you to write a book like this? If you're highly qualified in your field that *might* make a difference.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
AndreSanThomas said:
You're stepping into a very tricky area. There may be some fair use, or not, it all depends.

I recommend the book The Copyright Handbook. After you read that cover to cover, talk to a lawyer before you proceed.
I thought fair use only came into play in cases where the author doing the using was doing so for editorial, educational, or non-profit purposes.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Yikes.
It might be safer and less ire-inspiring for you to actually draw or paint your own images, deliberately in such a way as to illustrate what you're trying to point out.
I'm assuming that you are an artist and therefore capable of doing that, if you're going to critique others' work :)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
humblenations said:
I would say if you're talking about acting and saying Christian Bale in American Psycho was hammy at best - homo-erotic at worst. Not that there's anything wrong about being homosexual but if you've read the Bret Easton Ellis book - Bateman was anything but. Then I would say that's complete fair usage. I would say you have no problem. You run into problems after seven lines of copy written text: this is the same for scripts, oh and for song lyrics - which people seem to ask a lot but no one gives the right answer. Laurent Binet makes a really good joke about his in his HHhH book.

And I think people are confusing critique with criticism and even then the word 'criticism' is usually only seen in layman terms as negative. Not in the true sense of the word.

As long as your work as valid points that help people become better actors - go for it my brother.

And welcome.

It's ok here.
It's not actually about acting, despite what the title suggests. It's about making your comics and character illustrations more lifelike and dynamic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shayne said:
Just out of curiosity, what education do you have that qualifies you to write a book like this? If you're highly qualified in your field that *might* make a difference.
I have a BA in Theater with almost 30 years professional experience. I also have a BFA in Illustration and 13 years of doing comic art professionally. While I'm in a relatively unique position to bridge these two disciplines, I'm not sure if there is a level of qualification that would make some one happy to be criticized. :)

Quiss said:
Yikes.
It might be safer and less ire-inspiring for you to actually draw or paint your own images, deliberately in such a way as to illustrate what you're trying to point out.
I'm assuming that you are an artist and therefore capable of doing that, if you're going to critique others' work :)
I have done a lot of that. The down side is that it's not only difficult to remain objective about your own work, but it's also difficult to show diversity.

Shayne said:
It's not actually about acting, despite what the title suggests. It's about making your comics and character illustrations more lifelike and dynamic.
I think humblenations point is still somewhat valid, it is about making your drawings "act". However the issue isn't just about talking about Christian Bale's acting (or Charlie Brown's), but also actually using clips of the acting (or artwork) to demonstrate the negative aspects.

But I do appreciate all of the suggestions. Good points.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts