Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brendan Carroll had me laughing over the recollection of a time when I sat at a seaside bar in Maine, drinking Allagash beer.  Mind you, I didn't even like the taste, but one of my characters drank Allagash all the time.  So just to sit there and connect with the character 'in the real world' was what I call a "crossover moment".

Has anyone experienced these?  And this is not narrowed down to authors.  Readers experience 'crossover moments' when they do something that's habitual of one of their favorite characters.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
mamiller said:
Has anyone experienced these? And this is not narrowed down to authors. Readers experience 'crossover moments' when they do something that's habitual of one of their favorite characters.
Yesternight's to-the-death sword duel with a truculent Zallan reeking of Sindrite brandy comes immediately to mind.

CK

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I once had a thought of "Oh, man, poor Harry Potter" when my son gave me a jelly bean and it turned out to be a vomit-flavored Bertie Botts jelly bean...if that counts.

You know, it can induce exactly what it tastes like...

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Carolyn Kephart said:
Yesternight's to-the-death sword duel with a truculent Zallan reeking of Sindrite brandy comes immediately to mind.

CK
I don't dare ask what you were doing in real life.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I too am wondering if you engaged a sword duel with someone or you reeked of Sindrite brandy? Or you reeked of Sindrite brandy while dueling someone? or...    Whatever the case may be, it was definitely a 'crossover moment'  :eek:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
mamiller said:
Yes, I too am wondering if you engaged a sword duel with someone or you reeked of Sindrite brandy? Or you reeked of Sindrite brandy while dueling someone? or... Whatever the case may be, it was definitely a 'crossover moment' :eek:
Hm, where's that Grammar Pet Peeves thread when I need it... ;)

Logic (mine, anyway) dictates perfect sobriety when dealing with truculent Zallans.

CK

·
Banned
4,562 Posts
mamiller said:
Brendan Carroll had me laughing over the recollection of a time when I sat at a seaside bar in Maine, drinking Allagash beer. Mind you, I didn't even like the taste, but one of my characters drank Allagash all the time. So just to sit there and connect with the character 'in the real world' was what I call a "crossover moment".

Has anyone experienced these? And this is not narrowed down to authors. Readers experience 'crossover moments' when they do something that's habitual of one of their favorite characters.
OMG! I'm having a cross-over moment right now! Just seeing my name in your post is like "Denny Crane, Denny Crane!" Oh, how wonderful it is to see my name in there... oh, sorry, is that shameless self Cross-Over or is that Crossing Over with John Edwards? I'm sure that some of you wish I would just cross over and get the blankety blank off the boards! LOL :-\ ;D

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
mamiller said:
Brendan Carroll had me laughing over the recollection of a time when I sat at a seaside bar in Maine, drinking Allagash beer. Mind you, I didn't even like the taste, but one of my characters drank Allagash all the time. So just to sit there and connect with the character 'in the real world' was what I call a "crossover moment".

Well, since you say readers can join in.... I must say that since the lead female character in Brendan's books is from Texas and seems to be like me in a parallel universe or something, I don't even know if it is ME or her having the cross-over moment....she has MY personality....my EVERYTHING.....it is so weird, that I decided that I MUST read the entire series to find out how my life will turn out! :D I am currnetly on book X (e-book) and can not wait until they are all on Kindle (much easier than lagging around the laptop) A lot, I stress A LOT of times I am in the same situation, and think OMG! This happened to her in book... WEIRD!!!!! :-\ Even down to a "nick-name" my boss gave me over a year ago... I knew there was a reason I felt strange about it, and recently I found the same name pinned on her in BOOK I as I was checking out the differences in the revised Kindle version and the paperback written around 2000 or something like that! I showed it to my boss and her jaw hit the floor. ;D I liked that. (I don't particularly care for her) ;)

·
Banned
4,562 Posts
mamiller said:
Yes, I too am wondering if you engaged a sword duel with someone or you reeked of Sindrite brandy? Or you reeked of Sindrite brandy while dueling someone? or... Whatever the case may be, it was definitely a 'crossover moment' :eek:
I'm really glad you asked that question, Mamiller, because those things scare me and I think "Am I reading this right?" "Is it me, or is Sindrite brandy?" or "Is it Sinned Right Brandy(which I can certainly identify with after sinning right after drinking heavily of it... the brandy, I mean. :p)?" I'm still trying to figure out if a truculent Vallan is invisible or transparent! LOL. :eek: I have great admiration for authors who can create entire universes and work out of them like Tolkien. Wysard will definitely be on my Must Read book. I gotta know what this here trucelent Vallan is and if you can or cannot kill it with a sword. :D

·
Banned
4,562 Posts
mamiller said:
Brendan, I'll buy you an Allagash when I see you. :) http://www.allagash.com/beer.htm
Oh now you are trying to get to my heart, Miss Miller! Dark beer for dark 'knights' (pardon the pun!) ;) That would be just too, too much. Meeting up on a rocky, stormy coast, late at night, me with my patch over one eye, my feathered swashbuckler's hat pulled low over my good eye, my wooden leg propped on the rough wooden table and you coming in, waving to me, sitting down at the bar and sending over one of those dark brews! Wow! What a thought. You've made my night... whew... I was able to write that without saying 'knight'... oh, but I just did... OMG! I'm awful... just awful. :-[

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Brendan Carroll said:
I have great admiration for authors who can create entire universes and work out of them like Tolkien.
My books were written mainly in rebellion against Tolkien. :p I describe other influences in one of my blog posts ("Love, Honor, And Inspiration").

Wysard will definitely be on my Must Read book. I gotta know what this here trucelent Vallan is and if you can or cannot kill it with a sword. :D
Lol! Thanks, and do let me know when you find out! :D

CK

·
Banned
4,562 Posts
Meredith Sinclair said:
I don't even know if it is ME or her having the cross-over moment....she has MY personality....my EVERYTHING.....it is so weird, that I decided that I MUST read the entire series to find out how my life will turn out! :D WEIRD!!!!! :-\
So there you are, Miss Merry. I have to admit, I did employ one of those soul-harvesting catts from "I can haz cheezburger" to steal your personality while you were sleeping. Sorry. I'll return it when I'm finished with it... ::) You got me.

·
Banned
4,562 Posts
Carolyn Kephart said:
My books were written mainly in rebellion against Tolkien. :p I describe other influences in one of my blog posts ("Love, Honor, And Inspiration").

Lol! Thanks, and do let me know when you find out! :D

CK
Rebellion? Against Tolkien? :eek: I have worshipped the man throughout the ages... errr, I mean for the past two years since I grew up. :-\ Love, Honor and Inspiration? Sounds Romanesque. You know like Maximus Whatsis from Gladiator. Loved that movie. My friend likes to say "Strength and Honor" (usually right before he takes a swing at me over some ill-fated remark about his swaggering boastfulness, which I find totally tasteless and self-promotional... uh, wait...) So, what was that about Tolkien? LOL

1 - 20 of 68 Posts