Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you a fan of cruising? I took a cruise once many years ago and got awfully sick. On the return trip, however, I learned about the "patch" and it was much better. But if you're going to spend the money, would it be better to just go somewhere that doesn't move? ;D

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm doing a cruise for my Honeymoon :) Its best value for money, imho, as the price for 2x on the cruise is the same as the price for 1x anywhere else (if that makes sense).

I do tend to get seasick (got seasick on return trip from cage diving once), so hoping I'll be able to take some tabs or something beforehand. I think most people take the tabs WHEN they feel sick, rather than starting BEFORE you've even boarded. It takes a while to kick in :)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So true, Ann!

Tails, congratulations to you! Have a wonderful honeymoon.  When I took the seasick patch they gave me I was fine.

I'm just looking into "All-inclusive" options, and the first thing that comes to mind generally is a cruise.  Granted, "all-inclusive" is a loose term.  :)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Congrats Tails.  Am happy for you.  Cruising is a great value for the $$.  My husband has an inner ear thing, so cruising is out for us.  We like road trips!  Perhaps we like them a little less since gas is so expensive. 

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I took a river cruise early this spring, down the Rhine River.  Not much boat movement to get seasick on.  It was a wonderful cruise, but since I've never been on a big boat cruise, I can't compare.
Have a great honeymoon!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I don't normally seasick/airsick/carsick & had no problems on a Caribbean cruise (the waters were very calm), but took a cruise a few years ago at Christmastime off the West Coast (LA to Acapulco) & we got into high waves the last 2 days & I was violently ill the final day.  I'll definitely take the patch or one of the wrist bands if/when I do another!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dara England said:
I've never been on a cruise but I think I'd be scared to go. I watched this movie once where I giant sea monster attacked a cruise ship...
Hahahahaha :D That's what would happen if I took too much of the seasick medicine. ::)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I am not one to get motion sickness.  I can read in a moving vehicle, ride backwards in a train, etc and not get sick.  On our honeymoon, DH and I went on a cruise.  I did really well until Thursday.  That was the day we hit 12 ft tall swells.  I spent the entire day laying on the floor sick as a dog.  The motion sickness stuff didn't help.  DH (who only briefly had sea sickness and not as bad as I did) said that some of the crew was even a little green.

All in all, I loved the cruise and if given the chance, I would go on one again w/ DH, but not w/ kids.  Why?  B/c I would like to spend a week w/ DH and not have to worry about the what my DD is doing (or what the unborn trouble maker would do)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alle Meine Entchen said:
That was the day we hit 12 ft tall swells. I spent the entire day laying on the floor sick as a dog. The motion sickness stuff didn't help. DH (who only briefly had sea sickness and not as bad as I did) said that some of the crew was even a little green.
You must have been on this one! ;D

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
I've only been on one cruise: a three-day jaunt from Miami to the Bahamas and back. I found it pretty enjoyable. I normally don't suffer from motion sickness, though one night it got a bit bumpy and I felt a bit queasy, but I think that was at least partly due to too much rich food and drink that evening, which was then exacerbated by the motion of the ship -- which was barely noticeable (the stabilization is quite qood), but just enough to add to the side effects of all that good food and drink that is available.

·
Registered
874 Posts
My friend and I were talking about traveling, and soon began talking about cruises.  She had gotten some stuff in the mail on how cheap it was.  She thought once we were financial able, we should take one...somewhere... as we are both seriously CRAVING a trip somewhere (me more international).  I am fine on the large ferries here in WA, but small boats and ferries make me a bit ill...depending on how choppy the water is.  However it's not the motion sickness that I'm concerned about as much as the feeling of claustrophobia on board.  It's funny and crazy, I know, and I know the ship docks at various places.  I just can't escape the feeling of being tied down on the ship...and to the ship.  I love flying and you could say I would be stuck on the plane for hours depending on the location...but it just doesn't feel the same.  More and more people are taking cruises now, so now I'm being a bit pressured...so perhaps I just MIGHT take a cruise...someday...though it still makes me feel uneasy.

Tris

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I've never been on a cruise but would love to do one sometime! 

I'm not at all concerned about motion sickness.  When I was 16, I crossed the English Channel during a terrible storm.  The ferry was packed but there were only 20 to 30 of us that were able to eat dinner.  Not much keeps me from my food! 

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Tris said:
My friend and I were talking about traveling, and soon began talking about cruises. She had gotten some stuff in the mail on how cheap it was. She thought once we were financial able, we should take one...somewhere... as we are both seriously CRAVING a trip somewhere (me more international). I am fine on the large ferries here in WA, but small boats and ferries make me a bit ill...depending on how choppy the water is. However it's not the motion sickness that I'm concerned about as much as the feeling of claustrophobia on board. It's funny and crazy, I know, and I know the ship docks at various places. I just can't escape the feeling of being tied down on the ship...and to the ship. I love flying and you could say I would be stuck on the plane for hours depending on the location...but it just doesn't feel the same. More and more people are taking cruises now, so now I'm being a bit pressured...so perhaps I just MIGHT take a cruise...someday...though it still makes me feel uneasy.

Tris
You could splurge for an upper cabin with a balcony. :)

The dining rooms and such are large, open spaces, usually with lots of windows, and if the weather is decent there's plenty of activity spaces and lounges on deck, too.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts