Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
She is off on the number of books that can be held with expandable memory. She said a few hundred, that should be a few thousand. And I am sick of the stupid buttons argument. It is easy to hold. You figure it out quickly.

The rest of the report is wonderful. The ease of downloading books, the greatness of carrying thousands of books in something the size of a paper back, carrying libraries, and how great it is to read. They even discuss why it is not backlit, kind of. Instead of getting into the whole eye strain thing they say it feels more natural to read a book with a light on.

Not a bad report and plenty of publicity for the Kindle. Which is a good thing.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I think she's just regurgitating the same rumors that have been going around. I doubt she knows anything for certain. Everyone just assumes that Amazon.com will be releasing the new Kindle on February 9th, although there's been no word from inside of Amazon one way or the other.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks, LKE.  I thought the report was very balanced, and more than anything bias toward the Kindle.  I do find myself bothered by the page turning buttons as well, but I lost my place in DTBs as well, so no big deal.  If the rumors are true about v2.0 I'll probably buy and turn v1.0 to DW.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Vegas_Asian said:
She made a good point about the SkyMall magazine!
I loved that quote. I'm also looking forward to carting it along with me to the bookstore. I love bookstores, but I find that I not so infrequently purchase books I've already read. I hope those days will be rare to non-existent in the Kindle world (except for perhaps the occasional DTB read) as I would search the interesting book I find in the bookstore on Amazon and send a free sample. I'm also hoping that queue can be my to-read list.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
788 Posts
ProfCrash said:
Sony has got to be p*ssed. That makes me smile.
From what I know about Sony and their business practices I find that I smile every time I hear anything about their failure.

I

·
0 Posts
LKE said:
Did you notice she said the Kindle 2.0 will be announced February 9?
Unless she knows something we don't, that was bad journalism.

ProfCrash said:
She is off on the number of books that can be held with expandable memory. She said a few hundred, that should be a few thousand. And I am sick of the stupid buttons argument. It is easy to hold. You figure it out quickly.

The rest of the report is wonderful. The ease of downloading books, the greatness of carrying thousands of books in something the size of a paper back, carrying libraries, and how great it is to read. They even discuss why it is not backlit, kind of. Instead of getting into the whole eye strain thing they say it feels more natural to read a book with a light on.

Not a bad report and plenty of publicity for the Kindle. Which is a good thing.
Like many others, I have a large SD card(16GB in my case) and that translates into thousands of books. More than I'll probably ever read in my remaining life time.

If the only complaint they have about the Kindle is the "Next/Previous buttons then boo hoo. It took me less than an hour to figure that out. You don't grab the Kindle by those edges when its not in sleep mode or off. Simple.

The Keyboard could be better but it works. It's also easy to get used to.

One thing I'd like to see is other bookstore be allowed to sell books in Kindle format. Then you could take your Kindle to your favorite book store and buy what you want from it if you wanted to.

We all know there is nothing better than a Kindle on the ereader market now.

·
Registered
137 Posts
As many others have already said, holding on is no problem. We can grip the keyboard, the inert ledge on the right, or the edge of the folded-back cover on the right. And I think the page turn buttons are actually better as they are than if they were a lot smaller. With the current design, I can turn a page no matter where I'm holding onto the kindle. My finger (or thumb) doesn't have to stretch or go searching for the button. The longer I have the kindle, the more I appreciate the careful, reader-centric work that went into its design. Even if it is kinda funny-lookin'.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
That was a good report.  She was off on the # of books, oh well.  She complained about the page turning, well Bruinboy said a lot "but I lost my place in DTBs as well, so no big deal".  I loved the discussion about the people who feel they have missed something by not holding a DTB in their hands.  Are they nuts or are they snobs????  Whatever it is, it isn't working. . . I like being eco friendly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
  Personally, I find that it compliments DTBs really well. I'm the kind of person who will read a book I like over and over again. I usually try the classics out on kindle, and If I really like them, I buy the paper version, that way I can leaf through and read my favorite spots again when I feel like it...(I know that's no exactly everyone's thing) It is a way for me to read books I normally wouldn't try because they are too expensive. Also, If I really like a paper book, I buy the kindle version so I can read or refer back to it again without carrying twenty books around. You are right about the page turns. You get used to them, even if I hit them accidentally every once and awhile. :D

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
LKE said:
Did you notice she said the Kindle 2.0 will be announced February 9?
I guess we'll see. Only 5 more days to go. :)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
The only things I'd change would be to shorten the page buttons slightly and shift the ports to the right a tad to give room for the corner loops on covers. Until my K1 breaks down, no K2 for me!

I

·
0 Posts
About the only other things I'd change are the power switches and the Keyboard.  They could be better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts