Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
None of the Kindle covers available had exactly what I was looking for, so I took my cue from other Kindle 2 owners and decided to make my own. I really like those stunning Oberon covers, but I am sold on the hinge system. I hate Velcro and dislike corners. The Amazon cover is adequate, but it is cheaply made and I really wanted something that securely closes shut. The M-Edge covers are my favorites (I like the idea of a built-in reading light), but even their Prodigy design includes corner holders that would leave behind unseemly marks if cut off. Also, none of the available covers had quite enough padding to satisfy my overprotective streak. For some reason, the M-Edge Prodigy has more padding for the back of the Kindle 2 than for the front. So, in the end, I cannibalized my Amazon cover for the hinge system and created my own unique Kindle 2 cover. You can see the results here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157615781209051/

I'd like to see more Kindlers designing and creating their own unique covers. It's not as hard as you might think. Below are additional links to some of the other custom covers that I have seen creative Kindle 2 users make:

http://www.kboards.com/blog/2009/03/do-it-yourself-custom-cover/

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43083

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157615217389944/

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,2692.0.html

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Not only are you incredibly talented with making that fabulous cover, you also have wonderful pictures! Thanks for the photo show, Damaetas and welcome to Kindleboards. Glad to have you here!

I know some people are going to want specific details on how you made the cover...be prepared...

L

·
Registered
71 Posts
Love that!  I worked on mine last night.  I took apart the Amazon cover in order to get the whole insert (not just hinge) then inserted into an Oberon cover that was supposed to use the velcro.  I had decided I just couldn't hack putting velcro on my Kindle.

Too bad there's not a source for those Amazon hinges that nice and cheap.

Awesome cover!

·
Registered
172 Posts
That really looks sharp.

I've been using my Kindle2 nekkid. I feel like I need some kind of protection for it, but I haven't decided whether to get a case to carry it in or a cover like you've made.

Hopefully I don't ponder until I break it and drop it.

But you've done some great looking work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome and for all the nice comments!

cincinnatideb says: "I worked on mine last night.  I took apart the Amazon cover in order to get the whole insert (not just hinge) then inserted into an Oberon cover that was supposed to use the velcro.  I had decided I just couldn't hack putting velcro on my Kindle."

I think that's a great idea.  If you are able, post some pictures when you're done.  I'd love to see it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
cincinnatideb said:
Love that! I worked on mine last night. I took apart the Amazon cover in order to get the whole insert (not just hinge) then inserted into an Oberon cover that was supposed to use the velcro. I had decided I just couldn't hack putting velcro on my Kindle.

Too bad there's not a source for those Amazon hinges that nice and cheap.

Awesome cover!
Would you share details of how you did this? How secure is it or did you use something to attach it? Pictures would be great!! Thanks.

·
Registered
9,172 Posts
GeorgeGlass said:
That really looks sharp.

I've been using my Kindle2 nekkid. I feel like I need some kind of protection for it, but I haven't decided whether to get a case to carry it in or a cover like you've made.

Hopefully I don't ponder until I break it and drop it.

But you've done some great looking work.
Keep reading the posts on this forum GeorgeGlass, you will discover that for your peace of mind you NEED a cover AND a case to carry it, plus a skin to keep it clean and add personality! We are waiting to suck you in to the whole accessories possibilities!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Stunningly beautiful.  I have a friend who is a bookbinder.  I may just have to commision something like this!

Meanwhile, Cincinnatideb, I am not overwhelmed with my Amazon cover.  Could you post pics and a how-to on your cannibalization-for-parts?

·
Registered
172 Posts
crebel said:
Keep reading the posts on this forum GeorgeGlass, you will discover that for your peace of mind you NEED a cover AND a case to carry it, plus a skin to keep it clean and add personality! We are waiting to suck you in to the whole accessories possibilities!
I can hear my wallet screaming in my pocket.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Meanwhile, Cincinnatideb, I am not overwhelmed with my Amazon cover. Could you post pics and a how-to on your cannibalization-for-parts?
[/quote]

I'm in and out all day today. I'll do this tomorrow. Cross your fingers for a sunny day...............it's so dreary here in Cincinnati. My camera needs all the natural light it can get. :(

Deb

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Zeronewbury, you might want to check out the Kindle blog, Harvey featured an Amazon cover conversion that really started everyone to try it.  There is also an entire thread here that discusses that transformation in quite a bit of detail.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's awesome! And thanks for those extra links. Amazing stuff people are making. I love the fact that there can be very unique and one of a kind Kindle covers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"wow it's thick!"

Yes, I was going for thick and cushy.  I'm very overprotective of my precious Kindle!  It is approximately double the padding of the Amazon Kindle 2 leather cover. 

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is this hard to do?  I just love these skins.  Boy, do I want one.  What about covers?  I want one that has a clasp on it. Can you get a cover to match?  These are great!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts