Kindle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I released my third novel yesterday. I've built a decent (not huge by any means) fan base and so I had pretty high expectations for this book. But now I realize I should've approached this one differently. My first two books were YA paranormal romance in a series. This one is a YA contemporary stand alone. I wrote it back when I had an agent and thought about publishing traditionally. It was done and ready to go and I figured, "why not?" 

Here's the thing, everyone expected me to write a paranormal romance and continue the series. I sent out review copies via my mailing list and netgalley and the number one complaint people had--"This is not what I expected. I expected a paranormal romance."

My takeaway.....

1.  Once you establish a brand readers expect you to remain there. That doesn't mean you can't write outside of that genre but your existing fans might rebel. Especially if you haven't finished your current series.

2. Blurbs are super important to setting expectations. I wanted my blurb to be a bit mysterious and that translated into, "Ooooh, this sounds paranormal." Except it's not. The very first thing I'm going to do today is completely re-write my blurb. (This is what I love about self publishing. I can redo things as often as I need to.)

3. I will not break series again. When I would tell readers about my new book, the first question they would ask is, "That sounds nice but when is the third book in The Thorn Chronicles coming out?" That should've been my first clue, but I didn't want to see the writing on the wall.

Take from this what you will. I'm just sharing my experience.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts