Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the new Practice Cake cover working for you? Are you finding more readers? Less?

(I think my fave version was the recent one with the girl and guy kissing on the cover. LOVED that one. Felt so cute and just like a romantic comedy movie poster.)

I clicked inside the book on the product page and positively DROOLED over your chapter headings. They were NOT there when I'd downloaded the book. Gorgeous!

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Dalalala la la lalala lala lala lyaaaaaaa \o/
*dances around barefoot*
*shake shake*

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
You can manage your Kindle account and download new versions of files, so you can always upgrade yours! There's about an extra page of story at the end, too. That's right. I didn't alter anything, but I added to a published story. (Haters begin the hating.)

I AM BAD!

Oh, covers. Um. The books seem to sell about the same no matter what cover I put on them. The free downloads right nowadays are not super huge, I think because I've already given away .5M free copies of this particular book and maybe everybody has it.

The reason behind the current cover change is funny. I'm doing some Print-on-demand copies, and I'm going to have some at the counter of my retail (not books) store. I literally wanted a cover I wouldn't be embarrassed to try to sell people, and I was imagining the actual demographic of shoppers in our neighborhood when I did the new cover. Also, it's vector graphics, so it'll give a nice, sharp print.

My conclusion (based on my numbers) is covers don't matter as much as we like to think they do, as long as they are basically okay. In other words, we have no control, just the illusion. You may as well go with a cover you personally enjoy, even if some people hate it or dislike that you change things. I know it's bad for my career to always change things, and I don't recommend it, but I'm a visual artist, so it's a huge part of the joy of publishing for me to monkey around with the covers.

eta: I used to be a website designer, so it's actually a crime that I haven't put better visual elements into my books (which are bascially html files) until lately.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I remember all of those covers. I really liked the first one, but I still feel like the second one is the most effective...although I can't really tell you why.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
smreine said:
I remember all of those covers. I really liked the first one, but I still feel like the second one is the most effective...although I can't really tell you why.
What she said.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Dalya said:
My conclusion (based on my numbers) is covers don't matter as much as we like to think they do, as long as they are basically okay. In other words, we have no control, just the illusion. You may as well go with a cover you personally enjoy, even if some people hate it or dislike that you change things.
I <3 you for this.

I also <3 the current cover.

·
Registered
299 Posts
(I see we all love Dalya. Where do I to look for the place I can vote for her for prom queen. ;)

You do already have the crown. Well, the halo anyway.)

I like the covers, too. Don't you think anyone of them will get folks to do a longer check of the product description?

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
smreine said:
This. Feel the same way, but not sure why! They are all fun covers.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I picked it up. I really like the current cover the most out of the four, followed by the second cover.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My wife told me I had to pick. I studied them closely. I like the one on the left with the cute things hanging from the tree limb. Seems like to me that there is more 'zen' in that one.

·
Registered
350 Posts
They're all great, but if I didn't have any idea on what the book was about, I'd gravitate toward cover #1, thinking it was a fun romance book. So, I clicked on the image to read the blurb, and it's exactly what I thought it would be, again based on cover #1. So I downloaded it... for FREE! Yay!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I like the first and second one. Second one seems more chick-litty, though.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
98% of the copies went out into the world with the chicklit cover (#2). I only tried the photo/kissing cover for a few months, and it was following the successful KDP promo of another novel, and I matched the font and look of that one, but it did not fool anyone into buying a book that wasn't a sequel with the exact same characters. ;-)

It has been a real struggle for me to deal with the character jealousy. See, I have my favorite authors and I buy their books, which are often stand-alones. I do not think of the characters as being real, but attribute the joy I feel to the author. What publishing has taught me is that is unusual, and that I am a snowflake reader. The golden rule for indies should be Write a Series.

I have mixed feelings about the chick-lit category, and I guess we all have those feelings about genre categories. Snowflakes and all. People picked it up, but many were surprised to find an 18-yr-old protagonist (some of them pleasantly-so).

As for the book in question, it is the 2nd book I ever wrote. I learned some huge lessons from publishing that one. First of all, I stopped using Beta readers (long story). And I learned how awful Other People (not you guys) could be. (My first novel did not bring out the ugliness in friends and strangers quite like this one seemed to.) I lost two friends. I tell myself it was a great experience, though, and it all had to happen for all the next things to happen. I have not re-read, but sometimes I will quote the book. I will say to someone, "We're going to need a lot more bananas," and it gives me joy.

So, on one hand, it's just a cover change, but on the other hand it's so much more. It's taking ownership of the work. I'm putting it into print, for the first time ever. I can't pretend it didn't happen.

And things are really good right now. I feel excited about "making great art." (Neil Gaiman speech reference)

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Well, I'll be doing the true test of cover importance soon. I loved my cover of Stella and Dane (still in my siggy) and got emotionally attached to it and even rewrote the ending to match it (so she would be in a wedding dress.) I had it designed by two different artists to make sure I had done the best that it could be.

But after a BookBub ad flopped in October, and now, yesterday, a huge promo involving ENT, KND, KFD and most of the rest of the alphabet, netted a whopping 27 sales at 99 cents (I didn't know it was possible to do so badly), I know the cover is a factor. It was the only romance on the page and at least SOME of the romance readers SHOULD have snapped it up, but didn't. They never even clicked over to the reviews or blurbs. I just know it. The cover didn't send them over.

I can't change the title easily, even though I know I should. I had reasons for the title (tie to sequel) and now I've got ISBNs and Library of Congress data and all that jazz.

But the cover is gone as soon as all the publishing goes through on all the sites. I bought a premade from Melody that has a couple on the cover and I'm just not going to look back at the hundreds I spent on the first one. I still have over a grand of expenses on the book that isn't covered, and that's not normal for my books. I work very hard to get them blogger reviews, and customer reviews, and zero typos. I've never had a book not earn out until this one.

I really think the cover will do it and I'll run a promo (if anyone will let me; I used them all) later this year to test my theory.

I've been super stressed out about covers all day and just threw out all the ones on my upcoming romantic comedies. I'm second guessing everything, most of all my ability to judge covers.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Starfire said:
I find the bird intriguing and lovely, but I still lovelovelove the first cover (WHAT is that plant? I love those flowers!)
I found it on Flickr creative commons: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aussiegall/465898486

TexasGirl said:
I really think the cover will do it and I'll run a promo (if anyone will let me; I used them all) later this year to test my theory.

I've been super stressed out about covers all day and just threw out all the ones on my upcoming romantic comedies. I'm second guessing everything, most of all my ability to judge covers.
I swear, sometimes they just get a bad-luck ASIN and that's that. ;-) Even with a bunch of titles under a few names now, it's still a guessing game for me.

Your cover was probably perfect for a reader just like you. So now you have confirmation that you are a snowflake! :) Definitely put up a sample of the new cover ... if you can take the beating. :) Let's see if we can groupthink a better result for that investment of time and money.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I think the first cover is darling.  Don't like #3, and #4 is kind of ho-hum, but that's just my take.

I agree that you should go with one you like yourself.  Everyone at Kindleboard seemed to hate my cover for Deadly Memories.  Now it's selling well.  It's so much fun when you find the perfect picture and then start playing with it to make it unique.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts