Kindle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
aren't that flattering.  ;D

too expensive for kindle(183)
waiting for kindle price to go down(147)
overpriced-kind le-version(133)
publisher price ripoff(97)

never at that price(77)
waiting for price to go down(58)
9 99 boycott outrageous price for a kind...(43)
9 99 boycott(37)

agency price fixing(31)
fantasy(15)
Agree with these tags?

I'll probably buy the hardcover anyway, but...  ;D

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Ha, those are funny!  While I wish it was $9.99 the price does not surprise me and, frankly, considering Ken Follet was charging $19.99 for his latest - Martin's book is a bargain!

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I agree with people who say that publishers are publishing overpriced eBooks to discourage eBook sales. I wanted it on my Kindle so I bought it for my Kindle. Overpriced? Yes, but I really wanted it. Sometimes price isn't a big consideration and for a book you've waited this long for, that's my opinion.

Tagging with this kind of tag is just sillly... people who won't buy at that price wouldn't anyway and the ones who do, do. Anyway look at the number of tags--a few hundred. Oh, THAT is a big deal considering Martin's sales. *eye roll*

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Considering Reamde by Neal Stephenson and 11/22/63 are both going to be overpriced at $16.99, the Martin book is priced about right in comparison.  I read the first three books a few years ago and get the fourth in Hardback before Kindle, I'm going to pass for now.  Too much for only a mildly interesting book. 

I'll probably buy IQ84 at $14.99, but for the most part I can wait for price drops.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
The hard cover is going for $18.81 on Amazon while the Kindle book is $14.99.

Sounds like a good deal to me!

It's like a lot of these cheapskates have forgotten that before e-books you had to wait a year for the paperback usually to get a new book for $10 or less.  I don't see why e-books should be any different.

As long as the e-book is the same price or less than the cheapest print edition currently available on Amazon, I'm fine with the price.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
mooshie78 said:
The hard cover is going for $18.81 on Amazon while the Kindle book is $14.99.

Sounds like a good deal to me!

It's like a lot of these cheapskates have forgotten that before e-books you had to wait a year for the paperback usually to get a new book for $10 or less. I don't see why e-books should be any different.

As long as the e-book is the same price or less than the cheapest print edition currently available on Amazon, I'm fine with the price.
People finances differ, so calling anyone "cheapskates" is a bit extreme. As far as paperbacks for $10 - it's the oldest argument about you being able to lend that $10 paperback to every co-worker, while the ebook remains firmly rooted to your own Kindle.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
DYB said:
People finances differ, so calling anyone "cheapskates" is a bit extreme. As far as paperbacks for $10 - it's the oldest argument about you being able to lend that $10 paperback to every co-worker, while the ebook remains firmly rooted to your own Kindle.
Fair points.

I don't care about lending (I seldom lend anything to anyone anyway) so that's moot for me personally.

As for the cheapskate comment, I was just saying that regardless of one's finances books have always been more expensive at release when only a hardcover was available. Thus we've always had to a wait a year or so for a paperback to be out if we wanted a book cheaper. Thus I don't see the big deal about e-books being more than $10 when only the hardcover is out as long as they drop in price when the paperback comes out. In that case it's the same pricing system we've always had.

And as always, libraries are always there for people lacking disposable income.

It just annoys me how many e-book fans got spoiled by the $10 or less Kindle prices initially and now feel entitled to get every book for those prices and bitch endlessly when books come out at more than $10. If you don't like the price wait for a price drop when the paperback is out just like you probably did before e-books, or use the library.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Neekeebee said:
Every Kindle reader makes his or her own decisions about what is a fair price for a Kindle book, and eventually the market will adjust accordingly. There are very few Kindle books I'd be willing to pay over $10 for, and A Dance with Dragons is one of them.

N :)
I agree. This will be only the second book I've purchased for more than $9.99. (The other was the UK edition of "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest" because I didn't want to wait 6 months for the US release.)

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I certainly agree with that. Everyone has their own limits on what they'll pay for anything, ebooks included.

I just don't get the complaining over higher prices at launch of e-books as it's exactly the same as in the past before e-books. Higher prices at launch when it's just a hardcover, cheaper a year or so later when the paperback is out.

So if one's not willing to pay hardback prices (or close) for an e-book, it's just a matter of waiting for the paperback to come out and the e-book to drop in price at that time. Or waiting to get it free from the library. So it's exactly the same as pre-ebooks, so I don't get the gripes. I guess some just got spoiled by the days of nearly every Kindle book being $9.99 or cheaper.

I'm used to media--be it books, movies, cds, video games etc.--costing more at launch and getting cheaper as time goes on, so it doesn't bother me to see the same pricing happen with e-books.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Considering 14.99 is towards the upper limit of ebook prices, calling balkers cheapskates isn't on the mark.  It should cause some pause before buying just in the same way some readers will not pay the higher prices for hardbacks.  What publishers are doing is testing the price point waters.  I'd pay 14.99 for an ebook I really wanted, but 16.99 is a dealbreaker even though I'd never miss the 2.00.  The price is wrong and I react as a customer with a NO SALE sign.  If enough say yes, though, the publishers will push the prices higher.

Now some people might set the upper limit at 12.99 or even (a bit unrealistically at 9.99 or lower), but readers should be vocal with their beefs.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Geemont said:

Considering 14.99 is towards the upper limit of ebook prices, calling balkers cheapskates isn't on the mark. It should cause some pause before buying just in the same way some readers will not pay the higher prices for hardbacks.
What publishers are doing is testing the price point waters.
The bolded is exactly the point I was making.

There's nothing wrong with balking at the price and waiting for a drop. Everyone has their own budgets and priorities, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

I just don't get the complaining over higher initial e-book prices when any serious reader who balks at hardcover prices has likely been waiting a year or so for the paperback to come out their whole lives prior to e-books (or using the library).

It's the same thing here. The e-book costs more while only the hardback is out, and will drop in price in a year or so when the paperback is out. If you want to read a book at release day, you pay a premium. If you want to save money, you wait a while. Same as always.

People have this notion that e-books should be a lot cheaper since there are no printing costs involved. But they fail to realize that printing and shipping costs are negligible on mass produced books like this that will get hundreds of thousands or millions of copies printed. As such, I have no problems with major publisher e-books costing the same (or less) than the cheapest print version currently available. I will never pay more than the print version though! :D

Anyway, that silly sense of entitlement many have that e-books should all be $9.99 or less is where my cheapskates comment was directed. Not at people who simply balk at hardcover prices but don't mind waiting for price drops when the paperback is out. :D

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
mooshie78 said:
The bolded is exactly the point I was making.

There's nothing wrong with balking at the price and waiting for a drop. Everyone has their own budgets and priorities, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

I just don't get the complaining over higher initial e-book prices when any serious reader who balks at hardcover prices has likely been waiting a year or so for the paperback to come out their whole lives prior to e-books (or using the library).

It's the same thing here. The e-book costs more while only the hardback is out, and will drop in price in a year or so when the paperback is out. If you want to read a book at release day, you pay a premium. If you want to save money, you wait a while. Same as always.

People have this notion that e-books should be a lot cheaper since there are no printing costs involved. But they fail to realize that printing and shipping costs are negligible on mass produced books like this that will get hundreds of thousands or millions of copies printed. As such, I have no problems with major publisher e-books costing the same (or less) than the cheapest print version currently available. I will never pay more than the print version though! :D

Anyway, that silly sense of entitlement many have that e-books should all be $9.99 or less is where my cheapskates comment was directed. Not at people who simply balk at hardcover prices but don't mind waiting for price drops when the paperback is out. :D
Printing and (especially) storage and shipping costs are hardly negligible. That is a myth publishers are encouraging to try to overprice (and kill) ebook sales. It won't work.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Its next to nothing for best sellers as everything is much cheaper when you're buying in bulk.  I've seen some break downs on the net that estimated that printing and shipping costs are at most $1 per copy for a hardback of a major release like this.  Obviously it would be higher for smaller releases and books that don't sell well etc.

In this case, the ebook is is nearly $4 less than the hardback's going price on Amazon (and much more than that below the cover price) and there's no way the printing costs etc. per copy are that high, so it seems like a bargain to me!  Again, people who don't like the higher initial price can just wait for a price drop when the paperback is out or use the library just like they probably did prior to ebooks.

For author's like Martin who I truly love their work I always buy at launch as I want to give them the largest possibly royalty to reward them for entertaining me at a high level.  Other stuff I'll wait for a price drop or use the library.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts