Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Writers sometimes say writing is in their blood -- in my case, I know that to be true! My mother, Andrea Parnell, is the author of ten romance novels and several short stories, which were originally published in paperback during the 1980s and 1990s. The originals are out of print, but I've recently been helping Mom convert her backlist for the Kindle (and other ebook stores). DARK SPLENDOR was her first book, and the first in a then-new line of "sexy Gothic" romances published by NAL/Signet.

Lovely young Silvia Bradstreet comes from London to an isolated estate off the coast of colonial Georgia to be an indentured servant. But a far different fate awaits her. Clothed in finery and pampered like a queen, she finds herself a pawn in the devious schemes of Wilhelm Schlange, master of Serpent Tree Hall, as he manipulates the family members who hope to inherit his vast fortune. Haunted by ghostly dreams and threatened by the island's deadly secrets, Silvia cannot trust her own senses, much less anyone around her. Most of all, she dare not trust her growing passion for Schlange's nephew, handsome sea captain Roman Toller. His lips move like a hot flame over her flesh and draw the very breath from her body. Can Roman offer Silvia an escape from her dark fate--or is he leading her closer to destruction?

Reviews

"An entertaining blend of eerie shadows and romantic interludes. An excellent Gothic romance."
-Publishers Weekly

"A beautifully written, lyrical-almost poetic in the narrative-book! . . . If you appreciate a great story and the true beauty of words that are put together the way they should be, you will love DARK SPLENDOR."
-Rendezvous

"The grand Gothic Romance could never be better represented than in DARK SPLENDOR."
-Affaire de Coeur

"A tantalizing blend of suspense and sensuality, with all the thrills and chills that lovers of the Gothic enjoy."
- Romantic Times Rave Reviews

You can get DARK SPLENDOR for the Kindle at Amazon or Smashwords:

Dark Splendor at Amazon US
Dark Splendor at Amazon UK
Dark Splendor at Smashwords

US price is $2.99. (But 50% off at Smashwords through July 31 as part of their Summer Sale)

Moderators: This post isn't quite author self-promotion, but close enough that you should treat me as the author's proxy -- at least until my mom joins Kindleboards! :) Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
67,458 Posts
Welcome to KindleBoards, Dan, and congratulations to your mom on her book! :)

Please note that KindleBoards is a Readers and Kindle Fan forum. Authors are always welcome to post anywhere but, as you browse the 'boards, please keep in mind that self-promotion, of any sort, is ONLY allowed here in the Book Bazaar.

A brief recap of our rules follows: (Note that this doesn't mean you've done anything wrong; we just want you to have a ready reference. :) )

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information. You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days. Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link. Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows. This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles! Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post. For information on more ways to promote here on KindleBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
Authors: KindleBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum. Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards! Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
Book Bazaar Moderators

·
Registered
790 Posts
Dan! Oh My Goodness!!!

I actually think that we many be on some other boards, forums etc. Your name is familiar. 

So....I had no idea that Andrea Parnell was your Mom!  I still consider her a dear friend I have not seen her in many, many years.  I actually read Dark Splendor when it was only on manuscript paper.  The summer before she was published she attended the Southeastern Writers Convention at Epworth By The Sea.  She and another dear lady took me under their wing as I was the "youngest author" there. I was only two weeks out of high school and the trip was a graduation present.  We had a blast (well, I had a blast  the others looked like they had fun too)... Please tell her I said Hi and that she HAS to get online.

I still remember how thrilled I was when the news came that she was being published!!!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Hello Dan. Thank you for bringing your mother's book to our attention. I LOVE Gothic romance!! 

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, Tammie! Thanks for your message. Wow, I was in high school myself when Dark Splendor was first published and I remember how excited Mom was. I think she is almost as thrilled with publishing Dark Splendor again as an ebook. That conference must have been a lot of fun...thanks for sharing your great memory. Actually Mom is online at AndreaParnell.com and Facebook and Twitter ... just not on Kindleboards yet. I'm sure she'd love to hear from you!

mamiller - Thanks for posting a comment! I hope you'll enjoy Dark Splendor. Mom's second Gothic romance, Whispers at Midnight, is also out now for Kindle. I should probably start a thread for that book too, now that I know someone actually reads my posts! :) She also released a free novella, 'Dark Prelude' which is a prequel to Dark Splendor. It is not in the Kindle store yet, but you can download it for the Kindle at Smashwords.com

·
Registered
790 Posts
Dan McGirt said:
Hi, Tammie! Thanks for your message. Wow, I was in high school myself when Dark Splendor was first published and I remember how excited Mom was. I think she almost as thrilled with publishing Dark Splendor again as an ebook. That conference must have been a lot of fun...thanks for sharing your great memory. Actually Mom is online at AndreaParnell.com and Facebook and Twitter ... just not on Kindleboards yet. I'm sure she'd love to hear from you!

Hi Dan,
So glad you finally got back here! LOL. I can't wait to look Andrea up on her website and the other places she mentioned. Thanks a bunch for your response.
Tammie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts