Kindle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
And I promise, Rachel fans, I am trying to love Jenks, but DWW is just killing me. I keep finding myself yelling "CUT TO THE CHASE!!!!" at my kindle. If I remember correctly, that's how my dtb ended up getting traded in with my last car. I just never felt like the book was going anywhere. At what point can I give up and skip to the second book? But you know how if you eat enough spicy food, or enough food with Tabasco sauce on it, you'll eventually kill your taste buds? I've read all 497 of the Anita Blake books, so maybe I just don't recognize a well-written novel anymore. Maybe I burned out my vampire taste buds, so to speak, before I got to Rachel and Jenks and Ivy. Hmmm.
I love the Hollows series, but I am not a big Jenks fan. I like him, but just in a casual way. I could take him or leave him I think.
I miss Kisten tho. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Vampyre said:
Did you know "Eric's" dad was in Mamma Mia?
So they are related? B/c you know, he was Will Turner's dad from Pirates of the Caribbean too. Gotta love the immortal bad boy (which reminds me: I started reading a series b/c one of the titles in the series was "Sex and the Immortal Bad Boy"....don't bother. Nine thousand pages in, and nuthin'. Nuthin' but a girl whining about what a drag immortality is. It's like chick-lit gone way more horribly wrong than usual.)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I finished Dead until dark last night and really liked it... i'm glad I stuck with it! I already downloaded book number 2 and hope to join in the discussion... although how I'm supposed to restrain myself and only read the first 3 chapters is beyond me!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
lol, if it makes you feel better, panjo, there are no chapter police.  Just be mindful of spoilers during our chats.  ;D

·
Registered
657 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
lol, if it makes you feel better, panjo, there are no chapter police. Just be mindful of spoilers during our chats. ;D
Hence maggie doesn't go to the chats.. Do you know your hands fall asleep if you sit on them for an hour ;)

I gotta new crush Robin, I'm crushing on Dresden the clumsy chicago wizard ;)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Oh yeah?  Hot stuff?  I may have to check those out.  So many people here are reading them, it's like a 5-star recommendation!  lol, at what point in the hour did your hands go to sleep?  And will you be joining us for Living Dead in Dallas?  Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I really enjoy this series. I watched the entire True Blood series on HBO religiously first and then when season 1 was over I thirsted for more and have now read all of the 8 currently available books (all read on my Kindle 1). I can't wait for more to come out... and I'm anxiously looking forward to more True Blood in May despite the differences between book and tv series.

G

·
robin.goodfellow said:
Oh yeah? Hot stuff? I may have to check those out. So many people here are reading them, it's like a 5-star recommendation! lol, at what point in the hour did your hands go to sleep? And will you be joining us for Living Dead in Dallas? Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease?
Robin, you really must try out the Dresden. First book contains a shower scene to rival Sookie and Eric's.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I don't know.  Sam's pretty hot.  And broody.  I also looked Sam up on IMDB.  He's old enough to be....me.

mumblegrumbledangteenagersmumblegrumblegetoffathegrassmumblemumbleborninthenintiesgrumblegrumble

G

·
I was a little disappointed in the TB version of Pam.  hopefully we will see more of her in season 2 and she will become more like her printed self.

Season 2 of TB will be loosely based on Dead in Dallas so it should be a lot of fun.

Due to my economic situation, I have dropped HBO.  When May rolls around, I'll have to turn it back on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We don't get HBO so I conned a friend into recording it for me and then I would go to her house and watch it with her.  I got her hooked on the series too.  I like it and I don't.  I'm not crazy about the actors, it doesn't follow the books, which I adore and think they are actually quiet humorous, which the HBO series completely MISSES.  I think the only actor I really like is Sam.  I guess I'd have to say at this point I have split them and see them as two completely different entities.  They aren't much alike anymore.  I am interested to see what they do with season two though.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I didn't make it past the first few episodes of True Blood, for 2 reasons. Reason 1, we dropped HBO about 4 weeks in, but the main reason is that I had such a clear picture in my mind of these characters and they didn't match a single thing that the show had. I have to agree with many of the previous posters:
  • I found Bill too nice and the way they portrayed Sookie just...not right
  • The thing with Jason was just odd
  • no clue where they are going with Tara
  • The overall feel of the characters were just...off for me

All that being said, I did put the first season on my NetFlix list and I will see if I can get past it. I talked this over with my Dad (we are both major fans of the books) and we had the same feelings on True Blood.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have to admit, I was leery when I heard about TB. I love the books and you know how it is when they do a film adaption of your favorite books.

However, I think I'm glad they tweaked some things..The changes to the Tara character didn't bother me..I like the TB Tara. Sure, she's abrasive, loud etc but at least she's not boring. She wasn't a huge enough character in the books to make me upset with the changes. I adore Lafayette! So many things about that guy just aren't right ie
selling vampire blood
but the character always makes me laugh. I also like the part when he
beats up the homophobic ******** in Merlotte's

I like the TB Jason better. I kind of figured HBO was going to run with his promiscuity..it is HBO after all! :D He's also a character who makes me laugh, because he's such a dingbat. Except when he
slaps Sookie at their grandmother's funeral
. I had forgotten that part was in the book.

Anna Paquin is growing on me as Sookie..not sure that any actress would have been good enough in my eyes. I think she played her a little too sweet and innocent in the first few episodes. She's getting better though

Bill is spot on, IMO. I like the way the actor portrays him. Eric I pictured a little more rugged in the books.

I got the DVDs of season 1 for my birthday( don't have cable) and have been enjoying them. Like someone else said..I've been trying to see them with fresh eyes..I actually think it'd be boring if they copied the books to the letter. Part of the fun for me is seeing where they changed things.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.