Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a story today that makes me want to leave this post just in case it saves a dog.  A friend of mine has a neighbor that went on vacation, and left their dog outside tied up.  She couldn't reach her water and ended up dying.  It was 95 on tuesday and hailed golf balls on wednesday.  That poor dog lived through that, then suffered and died of either heat stroke or dehydration on thursday night. 

I can't even think about it without tearing up, it's just so sad.  Please, please don't do that to your dog.  Don't leave them in the car either - even if you think the windows cracked makes a difference.  I was telling my husband this story and 2 minutes later a story came on the news about a police K9 dog that died in the car.  It's so common, and so unnecessary.   

I don't own a dog, but have a cat and I can't imagine not loving her as my own.  If you have one, treat them like you would your child, please!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I probably shouldn't post because this is one of those subjects that really makes me angry. I live in Florida and it gets down right miserable here, high temps and humidity, and people still leave their pets in their cars. Hubby and I were at a diner we go to and some people came in. After about 20 minutes we (and other diners) noticed they had a chihuahua out in their van....thought there was gonna be a riot in the diner, soooo many people were upset that they left their dog in the van. A few people did go up and tell them they needed to get the dog out of the van, or to take it home. I have sat in the car while hubby was pumping gas...in just those few minutes the car gets really hot and uncomfortable.

I also can't understand why you would go on vacation and just leave a dog outside. Even if the weather was nice and the dog had shelter...anything could happen, and who would know? If you can't afford to kennel or hire a dogsitter for your pets...stay home. Hubby and I stay home often because we have pets...but we chose to have them so it's our responsibility.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
There was a story here this past week where someone left a dog in a car - the temperature was in the 90's. Police were trying to get to the dog when the owner showed up... coming out of a tanning salon. The temperature in the care was 152.  :mad:

Unbelievable.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Along the same lines, and while not life-threatening, may I add to please think before you walk your dog on hot asphalt?  If it's too hot for a bare human foot to walk on comfortably, then it's too hot for a dog's paws!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These people haven't even come home yet, they don't even know!!  They are having fun on vacation while thier dog suffered.  I heard later that the neighbor saw her stretching for her water and collapsed, that's when he took her to the vet but it was too late.

I can't get this image out of my head, it makes me sick.  I know the police were called, but I'm tempted to call my friend at NBC and get her involved.  In my opinion, these people should be tied up outside and left for days without water.  There is NO other punishment good enough.  My friend said he's holding out hope that someone was supposed to come get her and didn't, and they didn't know it - but regardless, they left home without making sure their dog was taken care of.  They should suffer too.  The punishments for animal cruelty aren't nearly severe enough.  To me, it's the same as murdering a human. 

A girl I know posted on facebook today that she wants to give her cats away because she's a kid mom now, not a cat mom.  I told her to get rid of the kid, she made a commitment to the cats first.  What is wrong with people?!

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
How sad. We're having a terrible heat wave right now so I had my dog's hair cut and am trying to keep him indoors as much as possible. He doesn't seem to want to go out much when it's this hot. Mostly he just wants to stay inside and lie down on the cool tile.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This is terrible. If you knew that they had made no arrangements for the dog, I would say definitely get your friend at NBC involved. Otherwise, I'd be tempted to leave a sign on the ground in their yard:
"this is where your dog died. She couldn't reach her water. She endured days of waiting faithfully for you to care for her (as is your responsibility as a pet owner). She endured hailstorms and extreme heat. She waited and waited, and tried to reach the water herself, but by neglecting your responsibilty to your loyal dog, you made sure that her death was slow and painful.  Maybe as you look at this spot you could try to imagine her suffering."
There is nothing too harsh for people who don't take care of those that depend on us, whether it's pets or children. Every year there are stories of people who "forget" babies in hot cars. I don't understand how that happens. I don't understand how you enjoy a vacation knowing your dog is tied up at home with nobody taking care of it.
Let us know what happens after they get home.
vickie

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Some people should not be allowed to have pets or children...

·
Registered
373 Posts
In the U.K a few years ago a police dog died because the policeman left it in the car, which was shocking. You would think a dog handler would know better. This topic does really upset me, as I have two dogs and I live in the new forest. It is a big tourist area in the U.K and you would be surprised by the amount of people that walk their dogs in the forest in the summer and then lock them in the car, as they have a picnic. The dog is already worn out from the walk, no water or anything. They all sit in the shade eating, whilst the poor dog is stuck in the sun in the car. It is shocking. Where we live we have the forest commission on our doorstep. So, a polite word with the local person who watches over that part of the forest and they have a polite word.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts