Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://brennaaubrey.net/2013/12/08/in-which-i-explain-why-i-turned-down-a-three-book-new-york-print-deal-to-self-publish/

It peaked in the low 100s on the Kindle Store on December 12, 2013, judging from this blog post (maybe even lower)

http://theseasonforromance.com/wordpress/2013/12/interview-giveaway-at-any-price-by-brenna-aubrey/

I was also lucky enough to have Brenna by for a virtual sit-down and here it is.

**P.S. AT ANY PRICE is currently #137 in the Kindle store. Woot!!!

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
If I had a friend who got offered a million dollars for three books, one already written, and she hadn't self-published before, I'd tell her to take the money and start writing two more books. It's a million dollars. Sure, maybe you'd get more self-publishing. Totally possible. But it's a million dollars!

If anyone offered me an advance like that, I'd start writing up those three books real fast. :)

I apologize for being very stupid. I thought it was a million dollars. If it was more like 100,000, that's a different story.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Good for the author.  It was likely a wise move, depending on what was in her contract.  I'm guessing she didn't find something too terribly palatable in there.  Or maybe she just sees the writing on the wall.

Yes, a million bucks is great right now, but if there was something restricting her from writing more or publishing however she wanted with any books that weren't in the three-book deal, I'm not sure a million would be worth it.  It all depends on what was in that contract.  ;)

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Brenna said:
Word. I've been dragged through the mud over there all day. Called a liar, a fraud, difficult, stubborn, and idiot who doesn't understand "big publishing business things." Poor little woman so unedumacated. Grrrr. Don't mind the smoke coming out of my ears. sigh.
You won't be called those names over here! Congratulations!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Brenna said:
Word. I've been dragged through the mud over there all day. Called a liar, a fraud, difficult, stubborn, and idiot who doesn't understand "big publishing business things." Poor little woman so unedumacated. Grrrr. Don't mind the smoke coming out of my ears. sigh.
I defended you, Brenna! :)

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Brenna said:
It wasn't a million dollars. LOL. Six figures, not seven.
GAHHHH I hate myself! I always get that wrong. I take back my comment then. I will go sit in the corner being stupid. ;) ;)

This is why I get no offers, LOL.

EDIT: Also, hello Brenna! Now I feel double stupid for talking about a member. You are one of us. I will have your back from now on, LOL.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
This is why I hang out here where it's nice and quiet and one can get opinions and advice without being shouted at, down and over.
I won't bother checking that thread out (not starting the New Year with negativity) but, in the end, I'd think the contents of the contract are what clinches it, not a wild guess on current trends.

Welcome, Brenna and congratulations for such a huge event, no matter which way it shakes out.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I know Brenna *HI HUN* :-* She didn't just do this with no thought behind it, she made a very difficult choice and weighed the pros and the cons. She did what felt right for her, I do not understand why anyone would give her flack over it (not talking about anyone here, but I read those comments on absolute write and I got a little steamed from it :-X)

I support your decision to do what felt right to you girly.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I do think that there's good reason to work with publishers, but I can't think of any for a debut author. I spent months at AW, and quietly realized that I needed to find places online that supported self-publishing, because it seemed like a really good thing. That's what I learned from the hotbed of SPing Sucks.

I'm not going to read the thread. Not the best way to start the new year.

Brenna, you rock.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just read your blog post, Brenna and it's inspiring. Congratulations and glad you made this decision. The book sounds great!  :)

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Brenna said:
This bodes well. My career positively took off after being called nasty things on that site. ;D

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Brenna said:
Haha Mimi, no worries. :) Hello to you. I forgive you for kicking my *ss on the NA top 100 with your $#%#^ boxed set. :p hehe (I'm Team Peaches btw)
Hey, thanks! Good luck with your whole trilogy. I did the boxed set a bit earlier than some might, so it would be easier to give as a Christmas gift. Really, you never know. Self-publishing is full of tough choices every day, but it sounds like you made the right one.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
@ Brenna --Congratulations! I turned down a horrible contract from a small pub a few years ago, but nothing with an advance. The rights grab was the killer there. None of mine have done as well as yours in the paid store, but I've been satisfied self-publishing. Who knows--continue doing well and you may end up with a better offer. ;)

As for AW, I quit going there years ago too. Once I found KB, I knew where I belonged.

Hugh Howey said:
The understatement is strong with this one. :)
ROFL ;D

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
romanceauthor said:
I defended you, Brenna! :)
It won't do any good. They refuse to believe anything anyone self-publishing says. You could have video and they wouldn't buy it.

Brenna - Congratulations. I wish more authors said no to crappy contracts.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Jana DeLeon said:
It won't do any good. They refuse to believe anything anyone self-publishing says. You could have video and they wouldn't buy it.

Brenna - Congratulations. I wish more authors said no to crappy contracts.
lol, Jana. I had to laugh at their responses to your posts about the author who got a six figure deal and no bookstore placement. I'm pretty sure I know who you're talking about. If not, I know someone else who had the same situation. It floors me that they are so quick to assume you or your friend are just lying. Because seriously, why would anyone lie about that?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Brenna, good for you for following your heart and intuition! I, for one, found your story incredibly inspiring and empowering!

I've lurked on AW for a long time and have learned a lot from it, but that thread made me super mad and I wanted to hulk-smash everything. I just found the tone really disrespectful and condescending. Ugh.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Brenna said:
Don't even go there. Let them all wallow in their ignorance. They don't deserve to be enlightened.

1 - 20 of 231 Posts