Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I originally contacted Decalgirl about having a custom skin made for my Kindle 2, the reply I got stated that they didn't have a template for it available yet, but expected to be able to take custom orders by the end of the month. A few days ago, since I still hadn't seen it on their website, I emailed their customer service again and asked whether this would be available in the near future.

I got back an email with instructions and a zipfile containing a 3550x2650 .PSD file with three layers: art, mask, and overlay (image reduced to 600 high for posting):

The file with my artwork positioned in the template was 53Mb (42Mb zipped), which blew my ISP's email size limit, so I had to extract just the art layer (reduced full image below):

I got a reply back from Decalgirl today, they can produce it, and quoted me a price of $20 plus $7 priority-mail shipping. The order is placed, and now I just have to sit on my hands waiting for my custom skin to arrive... and look at the template and figure out how much to trim the part inside the screen cut-out to make a 'continuous' skin-and-screensaver pair.

·
Registered
194 Posts
thanks for the heads up srmalloy, i'm going to order a custom skin from decal gal and will compare it to the custom skin i get from skinit.
regards

·
Registered
148 Posts
oh.. the skins I have going through my mind  <3
lol, thanks for letting us know!!  ;D

·
Registered
52 Posts
any indication from dg if and when they will be posting the template in their forum template section, so they rest of us can start getting creative like you? nice job by the way

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still don't see it in their forum; if push comes to shove, I suppose I could stick the template file I received somewhere and post a link to it. Have to wait until I get home, though; I don't have access to the full-size PSD file from here at work.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i'd appreciate the link if you have the opportunity - i've already designed something and i'd love to give it a try as a skin - thanks much

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have put the file up here; Decalgirl still doesn't have the template file up in their forums. From their "What To Do With These Files" post in the templates forum:

These files are meant for you to create your own artwork, then send it in to us to have a high-quality, custom skin made using the design you've created. They're not intended or meant for any other purpose.

Once you create a design, flatten the image (Photoshop versions) with the cut line turned off. Zip and email to the file to [email protected] so that we can review the image to make sure there are no issues (copyrights, proper resolution, etc) and one of our representatives will then email you a link with ordering instructions.
There are three layers in the .PSD file, 'Art', 'Mask', and 'Overlay'; put your graphics either on the 'Art' layer, or on a layer between 'Art' and 'Mask'. There should be none of the 'Art' layer's color showing inside the cutout of the 'Mask' layer. The 'Overlay' layer is there so you can see where the cuts will go so you can position your graphics better; when you are satisfied with the result, hide the 'Overlay' layer and flatten the image to a single layer.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Your design is beautiful, srmalloy! Wow! Do you have a Hokusai Wave Kindle cover from Oberon to go with it?  ;)

I feel silly for being unable to find it, but does Decalgirl also offer a template for first-generation Kindles? I've designed a skin over on mytego.com, but I like to keep my options open.  =)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The forum where they have template files posted is here; as of a few minutes ago they didn't have templates for either the Kindle 1 or Kindle 2 posted there. You would want to use the 'Contact us' form on their site to ask about the Kindle 1 template.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i'd like to see how the hokusai wave skin turns out.  that painting was my first choice for a custom skin but i edited out the boats and the people so it would look like my oberon hokusai cover but then decided the painting was too busy and light colored for my likes so i didn't use it.  it does look like a nice choice for a custom skin though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I received the skin from DecalGirl today, and immediately applied it to my Kindle:

The quality of the skin is excellent, and I had no trouble applying it. Now I just need to cut a screensaver to size to link with the skin when it comes up in rotation.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi, I think there was a mix-up in the mail, and you accidentally got my skin--wait, what? Well, yeah, mine's a first-generation Kindle... what's your point? This is still totally my skin. No, really. Honest!  :D

...Absolutely gorgeous, srmalloy. Nicely done, and I'm glad to see that Decalgirl customs turn out well!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I like it. I have a calendar of japanese wood cuts (I think that is what your image is?) it is a few ears old but I love the images and still have it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's "The Great Wave off Kanagawa" from Katsushika Hokusai's ukiyo-e print series "Thirty-Six Views of Mt. Fuji".

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh, wow! I have the Oberon wave cover and would LOVE to have this skin! Is that possible? Do you have to give permission, or do you have some type of exclusive right to it, or what? I'll bet there are lots of others who would love to have this gorgeous skin. I'm guessing it's part of public domain, although I'm certainly no expert on patentable artwork. Anyway, I would greatly appreciate any information you could give me on it. You did a MARVELOUS job on it, BTW!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The art I used for the skin is in the public domain, so anyone can use it for a skin. If you're happy with the way I have it laid out, I can email a copy of the final image that I sent to DecalGirl so that you don't have to do any of your own setup, and can send it to them already prepped for printing.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts