Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my DecalGirl skin arrived today.  I downloaded the screensaver, but am doing something wrong.  Here"s what's happening.

1. The DecalGirl screensaver is in located under "My Pictures" on the Home Page.  When I go to "My Pictures" and select it, it comes up.

2.  But if I have it as a screensaver and then go wake up the Kindle to go back to reading, it just scrolls to other screensavers, instead of "waking up."

3.  If I hit "Home" prior to waking it up (Alt -Aa) it then, goes back to my home page.  Then when I put it back to sleep, one of the random screensavers comes up rather than my DecalGirl screensaver.

So, here's my question.  Is that normal?  Can I select the DecalGirl screensaver as the default screensaver?  Any input would be appreciated.  I know there must be an easy fix for this.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
When you opened up the "book" did you hit Alt F to make it full screen? Then I believe it's Alt Z to make it your screen saver. Leslie could better answer this as I had to redo mine the other day after a soft reset.

·
Super Moderator
67,253 Posts
Check the FAQ link at the top of this forum.  One of the Q's is how to install custom screensavers.  It's explained pretty clearly there. . . . .

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Install it again. I don't believe you did it correctly the first time. Make sure the folder and subfolder you use to transfer the picture to the Kindle are spelled correctly, lowercase, no spaces.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all.  I got it to work.  I'm not sure why.  I just re-did Leslie's instructions on FAQ.  So the DecalGirl screensaver is now my default screensaver, which is great because that's what I wanted, but what made it the default screensaver?  Was it the alt-shift-0?  I'm assuming that did it.  Is that correct?  And not that I would ever want to do  return to all the other screensavers, but if I did, is that in the FAQ's as well?

Bottom line, I'm not sure what did what, but it did so I'm glad ;D

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Any custom screensaver, like the ones that come with your skin, deactivates all the stock ones. They won't come back unless you remove the custom one(s).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MonaSW said:
Any custom screensaver, like the ones that come with your skin, deactivates all the stock ones. They won't come back unless you remove the custom one(s).
Oh, that makes sense. So you can only have one "custom" screensaver at a time, since any others will be deactivated?

·
Super Moderator
67,253 Posts
Bruinboy said:
And not that I would ever want to do return to all the other screensavers, but if I did, is that in the FAQ's as well?
Yes, one of the other "Q's" is how to get rid of custom screensavers.

I do think you can have more than one, they just all have to be in the same place. . . but I admit to ignorance on this topic as I've been perfectly content with the ones amazon pre-installed. Gettin' so I don't even mind ol' Oscar so much any more. :)

Ann

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes, you can have two or more custom screensavers at the same time,  It just brings up a different one each time.  I am still trying to get one of my Decalgirl's off.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
beachgrl said:
Yes, you can have two or more custom screensavers at the same time, It just brings up a different one each time. I am still trying to get one of my Decalgirl's off.
I did a soft reset and my decalgirl one was gone and back to the preset screensavers. I had to go and search for Leslie's thread on reinstalling it :)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
beachgrl said:
Yes, you can have two or more custom screensavers at the same time, It just brings up a different one each time. I am still trying to get one of my Decalgirl's off.
It needs to be removed from the system folder on the Kindle, which is hidden. There are excellent instructions here:

kindlerama.com

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thank you Pigeon, it finally worked!!!!  My Kindle has been flipping between my Decalgirl custom screensavers for a week.  I changed to a new skin and added the screensaver and could not get the first one off.  I followed all the posted instructions, but your link walked me right through it. Thank you, you are great! ;D

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
MonaSW said:
You should have your image in a folder named "screensaver" on your Home page. Try these instructions here: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,285.msg42294.html#msg42294
I just added my Lily screensaver and couldn't have done it without this thread. Thank you Leslie for such easy to follow instructions. My Kindle is now dressed perfectly. Well I still need the Pond Oberon cover to make it perfect. I now know that my Kindle is a she and I need to think of a nice name for her. Thanks again everyone for all of the help :-*

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Kathy said:
I just added my Lily screensaver and couldn't have done it without this thread. Thank you Leslie for such easy to follow instructions. My Kindle is now dressed perfectly. Well I still need the Pond Oberon cover to make it perfect. I now know that my Kindle is a she and I need to think of a nice name for her. Thanks again everyone for all of the help :-*
Glad to hear that it worked, Kathy. Thanks for the thanks!

Leslie

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
OK, I have all of my custom screensavers loaded on my Kindle, but when I did the first ones I didn't make them full screen. It is driving me crazy. Yes I know it shouldn't, but it does. I have read everything on how to remove the custom screensavers and I'm very computer literate. I have tried to find my system folder so that I can start over with my screensavers. I have setup the option to show hidden files and folders, but I still don't have a system folder (I did this in all of the folders on the Kindle). I deleted the pictures folder that I created and that didn't work. Any suggestions? ???

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Kathy said:
OK, I have all of my custom screensavers loaded on my Kindle, but when I did the first ones I didn't make them full screen. It is driving me crazy. Yes I know it shouldn't, but it does. I have read everything on how to remove the custom screensavers and I'm very computer literate. I have tried to find my system folder so that I can start over with my screensavers. I have setup the option to show hidden files and folders, but I still don't have a system folder (I did this in all of the folders on the Kindle). I deleted the pictures folder that I created and that didn't work. Any suggestions? ???
Do you have Windows Vista? There were two boxes that I had to check in the folder properties in order to make the system folder show up. It's at the top level of the Kindle.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
No, I have Windows XP and I selected both system folders and hidden files to show up. No System folder. No hidden files of any kind. I have done this many times for other programs, but no hidden folder or files are showing up on the Kindle.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
marianner said:
Do you have Windows Vista? There were two boxes that I had to check in the folder properties in order to make the system folder show up. It's at the top level of the Kindle.
I finally figured it out. You have to deselect the option of "Hide protected operating system files" and then the System folder shows up. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts