Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an email I just got from DecalGirl.
-----------------------
Dear Jesslyn,

Thank you for contacting us.

Since the screensaver was not an option when we got our Kindle 2. We did not do wallpaper files which means there are no codes that I could give you at this time. We here at DecalGirl will be having a meeting about this issue. Unfortunately at this time, I do not know if we will be doing the wallpapers or not.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.

Best Regards,

Keith
DecalGirl.com
302-644-9399
1-866-841-0922
Monday-Friday 9:00am-5:00pm EST
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
I told DecalGirl that screensavers are possible and got this response:

That is correct, but it involves downloading a file and re-writing code in the Kindle 2. We have been informed by several Kindleboard members about this hack...we will probably have a round table discussion in one of our future staff meetings before we decide if we will be redoing all of our current Kindle 2 files.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kim said:
I told DecalGirl that screensavers are possible and got this response:

That is correct, but it involves downloading a file and re-writing code in the Kindle 2. We have been informed by several Kindleboard members about this hack...we will probably have a round table discussion in one of our future staff meetings before we decide if we will be redoing all of our current Kindle 2 files.
My level of bummed-out-edness is rising.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
Well, they didn't say no....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,457 Posts
Given that they redesigned some of the skins to fit differently on K2 (knowing the lack of a screensaver was an issue), I'm not surprised they're not ready to just jump on it.  I think if I were them, I'd be hesitant too--after all, they went to a lot of work to format up well over 100 skins in an extremely short period, and to have to do them over to accomodate a screensaver hack that a lot of people are not quite ready to take the plunge on.....

I'm OK either way; I purposely bought one that would look great even though it doesn't have a matching screensaver, and I actually wouldn't use theirs in the majority of cases, so it doesn't bother me that it isn't available.  But then I think of certain skins, like Quest, and can see where it would be fun to have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
VictoriaP said:
Given that they redesigned some of the skins to fit differently on K2 (knowing the lack of a screensaver was an issue), I'm not surprised they're not ready to just jump on it. I think if I were them, I'd be hesitant too--after all, they went to a lot of work to format up well over 100 skins in an extremely short period, and to have to do them over to accomodate a screensaver hack that a lot of people are not quite ready to take the plunge on.....

I'm OK either way; I purposely bought one that would look great even though it doesn't have a matching screensaver, and I actually wouldn't use theirs in the majority of cases, so it doesn't bother me that it isn't available. But then I think of certain skins, like Quest, and can see where it would be fun to have.
They wouldn't have to reformat the skins, though they may have to reformat the screensavers...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
I think it's wonderful how quickly they were able to get all those skins ready for the K2 and I understand why they aren't currently offering the screensaver.  But, I'm still bummed about it.  I love using the decalgirl screensaver to complete the look of the skin.

I hope they decide to add them later.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
I mentioned in another thread -- some of us have the codes for the K1 files which I would be happy to share, if someone wants to experiment and see if they look okay on the K2. I realize some of the designs for the K2 have changed so the screensavers might not line up and look awful, but who knows? Maybe they'd be okay.

I have codes for Quest, Starry Night, Burlwood, and Symphony. If anyone wants one of these, send me a PM and I'll send it out.

L
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
Very pretty, Shizu! Nice job.

Now I need to come up with something creative to match my Orient skin....

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Shizu, does the screen savers rotate like the ones that comes with the Kindle?  I mean do you get a different one every time you put it to sleep?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
Lilly said:
Shizu, does the screen savers rotate like the ones that comes with the Kindle? I mean do you get a different one every time you put it to sleep?
Yes. I don't know if it is in order or random though. I have like 50 screensaver in my Kindle now. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
I'm sure they'll do it in the near future. DecalGirl is awesome like that!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Im a Kindle(2) newb. S i was wondering, how do you get other screen savers. Im not too fond of the ones it comes with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
kittykindle said:
Im a Kindle(2) newb. S i was wondering, how do you get other screen savers. Im not too fond of the ones it comes with.
Go to this thread New version K2 Screensaver hack
When you need things you can also search for them too. The search feature on this board is very cool and makes things easy to find. Have fun :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
THanks Pj. See i told you i am a newb :D
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top