Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the DecalGirl skin for K2 in Solid State Black?  Is this a flat black or is it glossy like the other skins?  I'm looking for a skin with a flat finish.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's glossy.  They don;t have any in flat and according to CS, they don;t plan on it.  The price for the 3M stock in flat is much higher. 

I couldn't find anyone doing flat.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Abouna said:
It's glossy. They don;t have any in flat and according to CS, they don;t plan on it. The price for the 3M stock in flat is much higher.

I couldn't find anyone doing flat.
Thanks. I couldn't tell from the pictures on their site.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I think a flat finish would look quiet nice on the kindle. I wonder if it would scratch more easily?  ???

·
Registered
103 Posts
I really wish they would put out a flat black skin.  I'm one of those who has a white Kindle in the Amazon cover.  I know... no fun at all.  :) But I would like the solid black skin for the screen contrast, and I've been afraid to order it because of the glare issue.  I'm afraid I'd find the patterned skins - beautiful though they are - to be distracting.

KH

·
Registered
103 Posts
Suiting the action to the word as they used to say in bad action stories  ;), I just sent the following to DecalGirl:

"Is there any chance that you might offer a skin for the Amazon Kindle 2 in a matte finish?  From the conversation on the Kindle Boards, I think there would be a market for your plain black skin in a non-glossy finish for those of us with vision issues with the gray screen."

I'll post what they reply.

KH

·
Registered
45 Posts
khrunner said:
Suiting the action to the word as they used to say in bad action stories ;), I just sent the following to DecalGirl:

"Is there any chance that you might offer a skin for the Amazon Kindle 2 in a matte finish? From the conversation on the Kindle Boards, I think there would be a market for your plain black skin in a non-glossy finish for those of us with vision issues with the gray screen."

I'll post what they reply.

KH
As I stated farther up in the thread, I called DG. They made it abundantly clear that matte finish is too expensive and they won't be offering it. Maybe you'll have better luck.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i contacted decalgirl about a matte finish skin , here's there reply:

Thank you for contacting us.

At this time all of our design have a high gloss laminate overlay so we are unable to do our designs in a matte finish. SOrry

Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.

the key point being "at this time"...perhaps if enough people contact them regarding this issue they might change their mind.

·
Registered
103 Posts
"the key point being "at this time"...perhaps if enough people contact them regarding this issue they might change their mind."

My point exactly.  If they recognize a market, they might consider offering it.  I gather it's technically possible.  I wonder how much more expensive.  I'd give them a couple of dollars more for the matte finish.

KH

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
khrunner said:
"the key point being "at this time"...perhaps if enough people contact them regarding this issue they might change their mind."

My point exactly. If they recognize a market, they might consider offering it. I gather it's technically possible. I wonder how much more expensive. I'd give them a couple of dollars more for the matte finish.

KH
I don't know about that. In my organization, when we get requests for something that we know we are not getting; we always say "at this time" even if we dont' ever plan on carrying it. But you never know. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I received the following from support at DecalGirls:

"REFERENCE NUMBER: LTK14807078111X  Please use this ticket number in any correspondence with us.
SUBJECT: Kindle 2 skin - matte finish?

Dear Kathleen,

Thanks mainly to our Kindleboard customers I have brought this issue up with the management here.  They are still discussing the possiblity of that, but it will raise the price of the skin at least $5.00 - $10.00  on top of the already $14.99 price.  Is that something that you would be willing to pay for?  We just have not gotten enough feedback as to whether customers would pay almost double for a matte finish. 

Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.

Best Regards,

Keith
DecalGirl.com
302-644-9399
1-866-841-0922
Monday-Friday 9:00am-5:00pm EST"

My reply: "Thank you for your thoughtful response.  I am posting your reply on Kindle
Boards, and I hope that the other interested users will reply to you
directly.  For myself, I would be willing to pay a bit more, since I
understand that the materials are more costly, but, obviously, this amount
has its limits.  A firm price would help with this decision."

I guess we'll see what happens now, or if anything does.

KH

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
$5 here as well.  Since the only time the glare off the skin bothers me is when I'm using a booklight, I've got a workaround in place for my Mighty Bright, and it wouldn't be worth double the price to me.  I'd be interested in a matte finish, but I have some concern about how well the patterned skins will look in matte. 

·
Registered
194 Posts
i find the glare problem occurrs mostly when reading outdoors where the sun or sky is reflected off the skin not so much indoors which has much softer lighting.  i emailed decalgirl again hoping they will make matte skins an option for those who want it.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
khrunner said:
I received the following from support at DecalGirls:

Dear Kathleen,

Thanks mainly to our Kindleboard customers I have brought this issue up with the management here. ...
You accessory-fanatics are creating some critical mass here at KindleBoards. Who'd have thought that we'd be influencing the type of accessories available for Kindle, thanks to our collective voice? Cool..!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would pay $5 more for a matte finish.  $10?  Not so much!  :)  I was thinking of taking the leftover garbage pieces on the backing after applying a skin and gently treating the surface of them with some chemicals (ammonia, acetone, alcohol?) to see if it would remove the gloss.  I'll let you know how that works.  Any suggestions for solutions to use?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Something with a fine grit in it might work... maybe a little white toothpaste? Or baking soda and water?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts