Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The extended warranty for the new Kindle is somewhat deceptive in it's presentation. It suggests you are adding 2 years of additional warranty for $65 making it a good value. In actuality it isn't a 2 year extension it's a 1 year extension tacked onto the included 1 year warranty giving a grand total of 2 years of warranty. Caveat Emptor.

·
Registered
731 Posts
But it covers accidents which the original warranty doesn't.

PS. Consumer Reports has this to say about extended warranties: "Unless the company can guarantee the item will break within the warranty period and in such a fashion that the warranty applies, do not buy one".

·
Registered
599 Posts
LDB said:
The extended warranty for the new Kindle is somewhat deceptive in it's presentation. It suggests you are adding 2 years of additional warranty for $65 making it a good value. In actuality it isn't a 2 year extension it's a 1 year extension tacked onto the included 1 year warranty giving a grand total of 2 years of warranty. Caveat Emptor.
I noticed that, but only because I read the details... otherwise I would have assumed "2-year extended warranty" meant an additional two years. How sneaky! I am probably going to shell out the $65 for the extra year, though, because it covers a one-time accidental drop and--unfortunately--I am extremely clumsy. :-[

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yep - Square Trade is the deal.  I've got mine.  Just need to update them once I get my new K2 in hand (probably be good to give them serial number and such).  I sprung the extra $25 for ADH.

·
Registered
493 Posts
i understood that it was two years total but bought anyway,   i am clumsy,

the only way to ensure i don't drop it is to insure it.

·
Registered
599 Posts
SquareTrade does seem like a better deal, but I've read some warranty horror stories that make me wary of them. Has anyone had to get something repaired/replaced through SquareTrade before? What was your experience like?

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Setting aside Consumer Reports' worth, it stands to reason that businesses are in business to make money and if extended warranties cost them money overall, they wouldn't offer them.  That being said, I seldom buy extended warranties EXCEPT if I'm buying something for the teenage grandkids who tend to be careless OR if it's something very expensive that I know I will be carrying around a lot, like the Kindle.

I bought the Square Trade Warranty with accidental protection.  The accidental protection was an add-on to their basic protection, you have to request it.

One of our members has used them and been very happy with the service--I think it was Pidgeon 92.  If you search, there are quite a few threads about Square Trade.

Betsy

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
LDB said:
Thanks for pointing that out. I actually just started a Poll on "Lets Talk Kindle" regarding getting a Warranty. :)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Trekker said:
I suppose they would say the same thing about car insurance: "Unless your insurance company can guarantee that you will wreck your car within your insured period and in such a fashion that the insurance applies, do not buy it."
I don't think this is a fair comparison. Comprehensive insurance on an automobile is not required, collision is. Collision protects not just the owner of the automobile, unlike insurance on electronics.

·
Registered
493 Posts
The company I work for sells maintenance contracts on the equipment we sell, alot of customers think this is a waste of money but the ones who do buy it are very glad in the long run.

One of my long term customers lost their system(entirely) thanks to a flood, thanks to their maintenance contract we had them back in service in four hours at no cost to them. They will never complain again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The question is, will it cover battery replacement? I believe the warranty states that it doesn't cover "consumables" which would mean a battery I believe. I'm waiting and researching until the device arrives.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I can remember buying a rather expensive long lens for my camera and when asked if I wanted to buy an extended warranty for 2 years @ 150.00, I declined and then they called me back and asked if I would pay 75.00 for the same 2 year warranty.  This was from a very reputable camera store in NYC.  Made me doubt the value of the extended warranties at that time.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thank you for posting that luvmy4brats.  I think I may pull the trigger on this warranty even though I NEVER EVER buy warranties.  I am going for it in this case because:

1) I will be carrying this thing around everywhere (unlike my appliances LOL) and there is a bigger risk of damage with that (Do you know if theft is covered?)

2) I generally don't upgrade my electronics until they die, so I really don't forsee changing in the K2 for a K3 in a year (I know some of you guys said that too.... but I'm rather cheap, so  I just don't see it happening)

luvmy4brats, do you know if theft and battery issues are covered?

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Battery yes, Theft no:

WHAT IS COVERED:

Mechanical and electrical failures that occur during normal use of your item. Your item is covered for up to the full purchase price of your item (tax and shipping are excluded.

Some examples of covered issues include computer hard drive failures, iPod2 batteries that stop charging, cell phone keypads that get stuck, and digital camera sensor failures.

If Accidental Damage Protection (ADP) was purchased, the Service Agreement expands to include damage from liquid spills, item drops, or any other accidental damage. ADP coverage begins 30 days after purchase, and does not cover willful damage, negligent use, theft or loss. $50 deductible applies on ADP-related claims. ADP is not offered on all items.

ADP coverage begins 30 days after purchase, and does not cover willful damage, negligent use, theft or loss. A $50 deductible applies on ADP-related claims. ADP is not offered on all items.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for the info!

I wonder if amazon will continue to offer the replacement at $180 for accidental damage to the kindle. I wonder how long that policy will go for... What if I accidentally break it in Year 3... will they still offer it?
The financial risks are this:

Buy Square Trader warranty, no issue, spent $52

Buy Square Trader warranty, non-accidental issue in year 2 or 3, Saved $128 ($180 Amazon replacement cost-$52 square trader warranty) If amazon no longer offers $180 replacement, savings = $307

Buy Square Trader warranty, Accidental issue in year 2 or 3, Saved $78 ($180 Amazon replacement cost- $52 warranty cost -$50 square trader deductible) If amazon no longer offers $180 replacement, savings = $257

I think I'm going to go for the $52 Square Trader warranty once I receive my Kindle 2.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
k_reader said:
Thanks for the info!

I wonder if amazon will continue to offer the replacement at $180 for accidental damage to the kindle. I wonder how long that policy will go for... What if I accidentally break it in Year 3... will they still offer it?
The financial risks are this:

Buy Square Trader warranty, no issue, spent $52

Buy Square Trader warranty, non-accidental issue in year 2 or 3, Saved $128 ($180 Amazon replacement cost-$52 square trader warranty) If amazon no longer offers $180 replacement, savings = $307

Buy Square Trader warranty, Accidental issue in year 2 or 3, Saved $78 ($180 Amazon replacement cost- $52 warranty cost -$50 square trader deductible) If amazon no longer offers $180 replacement, savings = $257

I think I'm going to go for the $52 Square Trader warranty once I receive my Kindle 2.
I'm not sure about amazon continuing the $180 replacement cost. They're pushing their extended warranty, which includes coverage for one drop/damage incident.

The only reason I can see with going with the Amazon Warranty as opposed to square trade is the turnaround time. With Amazon, you get a replacement and then send back the defective unit.. With Square Trade, you send off the defective unit and then the either repair or reimburse you afterwards..You'll be without a kindle for a few days. You also pay for shipping with Square Trade and it's free with Amazon. At least, that's how I read it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well that's a good point.  Square Trader will actually do the repair?  I figured we'd send it back to Amazon and they would pay the repair cost.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts