Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally getting my navy Hokusai Wave cover from Oberon has opened the accessory floodgates for me and my first-generation Kindle: I've emailed Melissa from Borsa Bella about a custom Kindle bag, and I've been designing skins over at mytego.com. I wasn't originally interested in a Kindle skin because I was concerned that it would distract me while I was trying to read, but I've read that many people feel the white of the device is actually more distracting, and I can see how that would be true... plus, I want to "dress up" my Kindle even more now that I have a gorgeous cover. =) I mean, really, a nekkid Kindle in a cover this beautiful is surely some sort of crime:

I haven't seen any skins on Decalgirl that strike me as really "me," and I'm loath to buy a skin from 3acp.com after reading that their skins leave residue once removed (although their skin #138 is super cute...), so I'm looking at mytego.com for my Skindle needs. These are some of the designs that I've come up with today:

Please don't reuse these designs; I make them using primarily my own photographs and/or artwork.

I'm almost certainly going to go with the first one, at least for now. I want to start off with something kind of subtle and unobtrusive, color-wise; also, it makes sense to me to open a cover with a wave on the front and find seashells inside. :)

Even though I'm going to start off with one, I can see how skinning can be addictive, especially with the ability to create custom skins!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I think that shell one is going to look fabulous with your wave cover!  Can't wait to see it. :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, ladies! :) I'm having so much fun making these; I know mytego.com takes forever to ship their custom skins, so I really ought to put in my order ASAP, but I keep waffling over which skin to get! I like the seashell one and it looks decent in the mock-up that I did in Photoshop to see how it would look on my Kindle, but, with the option to make custom skins, the possibilities are endless.

Please don't reuse these designs; I make them using primarily my own photographs and/or artwork.

Decisions, decisions!

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
jesspark said:
My husband likes that one, too, Kind. What I like about it is how cool it would look with a corresponding screensaver to fill in the blanks:

Oh, I wish I could get 'em all!
I like this one the best. The seashells are a nice, but this one seems to be better with the cover. :)

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Great job(s) - I like them all, but I'd have gone with the seashells too.  Looking forward to seeing the final result!

·
Registered
361 Posts
jesspark said:
Thank you, ladies! :) I'm having so much fun making these; I know mytego.com takes forever to ship their custom skins, so I really ought to put in my order ASAP, but I keep waffling over which skin to get! I like the seashell one and it looks decent in the mock-up that I did in Photoshop to see how it would look on my Kindle, but, with the option to make custom skins, the possibilities are endless.

http://pics.livejournal.com/jppix/pic/004w0z4c.jpg[/img]

Decisions, decisions!
[/quote]
LOVE that! It would look great! Your good at this. I have never been to their site, I may have to check it out.
kjn

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"Beachy" is definitely my style, Sweety18! =) I've lived in Florida all my life, I surf (poorly) and scuba dive, I used to work with dolphins and other marine mammals at a well-known marine facility, and my condo is decked out in very tropical, tiki-inspired décor.

Finding appropriate skins for my Kindle has been difficult -- Decalgirl's "Tropics" design didn't really do it for me, for some reason; and 3acp's design #138 is super cute (if a little bright), but I want to wait until they resolve their adhesive issue before ordering -- so I'm really happy to have the opportunity to put together my own skins. I just hope the one I ordered turns out well... if so, I'll probably be ordering more.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some new contenders for skin number two (provided I like the construction of skin number one, of course!):

The first two are personal photos from Hawaii (specifically, from the top of the Diamond Head crater) and the Monterey Bay Aquarium in California; the third one is a favorite fresco of mine, the dolphins in the Queen's Megaron in Crete (seen here; it's also the inspiration for my dream Oberon cover). Taking a horizontal picture and making it vertical was difficult, and I'll probably wind up editing this post a dozen times to reflect changes I make to the third skin, but I'm pretty pleased with the overall look of it. :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I normally try to post custom skin ideas in batches, but I love this one so much that it gets a post all its own! :D

Please don't reuse this design; I scanned and edited it myself.

This image is from an old travel poster that I have framed on my wall. I also have a postcard version of it, so I scanned it, removed the airplane from the picture, and now I'm seriously considering making this my second custom skin. =)

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
jesspark said:
I normally try to post custom skin ideas in batches, but I love this one so much that it gets a post all its own! :D

Please don't reuse this design; I scanned and edited it myself.

This image is from an old travel poster that I have framed on my wall. I also have a postcard version of it, so I scanned it, removed the airplane from the picture, and now I'm seriously considering making this my second custom skin. =)
This one gets my vote, Jess - LOVE this!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, Meemo! :D I can't take all the credit for this one, though; when I'd mentioned to my husband that I wanted to make some vintage travel poster screensavers (which I finally did), he pointed to the poster on our wall and said that, with the position of the woman in the lower corner of the painting, it would also make a great Kindle skin. My own husband is an enabler! =)

I really, really hope that the Tego skin I ordered turned out well, because I'd like to give them a lot more business in the future!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts