Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I browse the Kindle Store via my laptop most every day and have never had trouble sending to any device on my account when changing the drop down, although for years my mother's Kindle was listed as the default device (both alphabetically and by choice so she didn't have to remember to change it when buying a book).

As of this morning the choice that shows up on any Kindle book page is "Your Kindle Library" which I've never even seen as a choice before. I went to Content and Devices and made sure my mother's Kindle is listed as the default device. Later returning to a book page, "Your Kindle Library" is still the choice showing, and "Baby Radar" (mom's Kindle) was the first one below it on the dropdown list.

Books I purchased and sent to my Oasis2 as well as DH's Paperwhite2 via changing the dropdown still arrived just fine on the appropriate Kindle, but the default will not change from "Your Kindle Library". I tried again to change the default to my "Midnight at the Oasis" and it just moved it to the first dropdown choice below "Your Kindle Library". :-\

Anyone else? Just me? If this is a deliberate change by Amazon, I wonder if the lead-up is what has caused the various glitches folks have had getting books to download directly to their devices.

edit: Have changed thread title and throughout that the default is staying at "Your Kindle Library" not My.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I just checked this and I don't see that. I still see my default device. When I click the drop-down, I see my list of devices. I do not see "My Kindle Library".

*checked via my Windows laptop.

·
Super Moderator
67,287 Posts
I think this is just a change in behavior when it randomly deletes whatever device you'd set as default. I had mine set to my Oasis ("Bedtime Reading" since it lives on my nightstand. I checked just now and, as crebel noted, it said "your kindle library". BUT, I was able to go to content and devices and change it back to the Oasis and, for now, that seems to have stuck.

FWIW,  the last time I looked at a book, maybe earlier today or maybe yesterday, I'm pretty sure it hadn't changed. But I might not have noticed since I didn't actually click through to buy. And I haven't borrowed anything from the library lately. I did get my December KOLL book but did that on the kindle and the behavior is a bit different there anyway.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
I just checked and the default was Your Kindle Library. I manually changed it in manage content and devices and so far my Voyage is once again the default.

·
Super Moderator
67,287 Posts
I guess this way is better than randomly picking a device in your list that you may not even have any more .....

O'course it would be even better if it didn't keep randomly changing it! :eek:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for letting me know what others are seeing. I guess it doesn't really matter to me since I buy or borrow for multiple Kindles frequently by using the dropdowns anyway. I hadn't seen that as an option before, though. Did they change the Kindle Cloud terminology, is that what it used to be?

I'll try again in a day or two to see if I can get one of the devices to stick through Content and Devices. Maybe it was just being glitchy there for me.

·
5,900 Posts
My account is with Amazon UK and at the moment it's still showing my correct default Kindle - but like everyone else I've had problems in the past with that randomly changing.

There is currently no 'Your Kindle Library' option on my list, but I agree that it could very well be that when it does randomly change it now automatically changes to that option - which will explain why book purchases are sometimes only going to the cloud. Although having said that I've had problems where I've sent a new book to two Kindles and it's arrived on one and not the other.

The databases they're dealing with must be so enormous though - and it only takes one simple slip up when someone is writing some code and the whole thing can go pear shaped and be really hard to fix. I suspect that all these little glitches are the result of them trying to do something behind the scenes and every time they fix one thing something else unravels!  :eek:

·
Super Moderator
67,287 Posts
crebel said:
Thanks for letting me know what others are seeing. I guess it doesn't really matter to me since I buy or borrow for multiple Kindles frequently by using the dropdowns anyway. I hadn't seen that as an option before, though. Did they change the Kindle Cloud terminology, is that what it used to be?

I'll try again in a day or two to see if I can get one of the devices to stick through Content and Devices. Maybe it was just being glitchy there for me.
FWIW, I just checked again -- 'cause you never know what a difference a day makes! :D My default kindle has not changed. When I click for the list, 'cloud reader' is still an option.

What's MORE annoying to me, is it still lists an old phone I no longer have or use twice, and it lists my tablet twice. BUT if I try to delete those phantom devices, it also un-registers my existing phone which it only lists once. I have de-registered all of them so it shows NO phones or tablets -- but then when I put the app back on my tablet and current phone, the phantom devices come back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts