Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - my Kindle, bought as a gift last Christmas, now only maintains charge for about 2 days. I don't know if there is anything i can do to kick-start it back into proper charging?

Otherwise, can anyone please tell me what is Amazon's policy if I should return it?

Please let me know.

Paul

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
They will send you off a new one probably before you even return the old one.  Be sure to call KINDLE customer service, though, not Amazon.  The customer service for kindle is the best.  Usually no questions asked.

·
Registered
445 Posts
did you recently download a few books that are causing the indexing to get stuck?  Mine usually goes 3 weeks or so between charges, but a couple months back I bought a few books that seemed to get the indexing process all bound up, and the battery drained in just a couple of days.  Do a search for a nonsense word and see if any books turn up as 'not yet indexed' (not sure of the exact phrase the kindle uses but you get the point).

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Are you turning off the wireless ands or 3G if you have it, when not downloading? They will be drain the battery, ESP the later. No reason to have them on all the time.

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
To summarize the suggestions:

Check to be sure there aren't any books stuck in the index process. That can REALLY eat up your battery. From the home page type a nonsense string (xqptg or something of the sort) and click to search. You'll get a response of how many items are not indexed. If it's more than 0, click the link to see the list. Any titles you see that are grayed out, are 'in process'. Try the same thing in about an hour. You should have a smaller number now. If you don't, the grayed out title is corrupted somehow and won't index. Go back to the home page and delete it. Try the search again until it shows that there's nothing left to index.

THEN, plug the thing in, let it charge fully, and see how it does.

At some point, you may also want to reload the problem title from the search . . . . if it continues to be trouble, contact Kindle Customer Support and let them know. . . .

The next thing to try is a restart. I usually start with a soft restart from the home page: menu/settings/menu/restart. But if that doesn't work you can do a hard restart by holding the slider switch for the 30-40 seconds required for it to restart. Often that will clear out any gremlins.

If everything is properly indexed, it's had a restart, and it does seem to charge just fine -- but then still drains really fast, again Kindle Customer Support is your best bet. You might have a short somewhere. They'll replace the improperly functioning unit -- usually sending out the replacement before you have to send in the old one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts