Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night, after downloading a new book, I settled in to start reading, and my K2 screen went totally and completely...weird. It has ghosting to the point of burn-in, where the words from a previous page are completely superimposed over the current page, and a strange grid pattern of vertical and horizontal lines that cover portions of the screen. Needless to say, I freaked out. I tried alt-G. One page worth of improvement on the ghosting, no effect on the grid. Turn the page, ghosting's back. I tried a reset. No effect at all. Then I tried hyperventilating. Oddly, that didn't work either. Of course, this was after Kindle customer service closed, and they didn't open back up until this morning.

I called this morning and spoke to Dave, who was very nice, and seemed to understand what I was saying even though I was totally and completely panicking. They are sending out a replacement, and I just have to send mine back within 30 days in the packaging the replacement came in. He indicated this was a replace, not a repair situation, which sounds to me like they've come across it before. I've scoured both these and the Amazon forums, and come across some vaguely similar situations, but mostly just with the sun fade issue, not the burn-in or the grid thing. CS seemed to know exactly what I was describing, so I'm guessing it's a known defect, but I haven't heard of this specific one. So my panic has subsided, my new Kindle's on its way, and a thumbs up for Kindle CS for a quick and easy fix.

Anyone else heard of this specific issue?

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I don't know if your specific experience as described is a known defect, but screen problems in general with Kindles have happened occasionally since Kindle 1.  Amazon just replaces them if resets (which often work) don't solve the problem.  Keep us posted, let us know when the new one arrives!  Be sure to check for the fading in the sun before you send your original back!

Betsy

·
Registered
118 Posts
So glad that Customer Service was good to you!!  I would be wigging out as well my dear, sweet K2 started acting up like that!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
WOW - good luck!  As Betsy says, be sure and let us know how everything turns out,

·
Registered
460 Posts
Good luck with getting that resolved, and I'm glad the customer service people treated you well. I've never had to deal with them, but hopefully if I have a problem I get the same level of service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had a similar problem.  Turned my K2 on, there were grid lines an inch from the top, a big one down the middle and the left corner is stuck on a screen saver!  I too panicked, I called Amazon, Walter was extremely helpful and my new Kindle is coming tomorrow!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lisam, that sounds EXACTLY like mine, except the right corner is the stuck one! I'm glad they are replacing them straightaway- I was expecting to have to put up a little bit of a fight, and was very pleasantly surprised when I didn't. I think I was too panicked to have fought anyway!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I haven't heard about the ghosting. Hope the new one you get is alright.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Let me ask you...have you received a confirmation or shipping email from Amazon?

I talked to CS Sunday morning to get a replacement for sun fade and ghosting issues. This will be my 2nd replacement.

As of this evening I have received no type of email confirmation. I called CS on my lunch today to be sure I was "in the system" because
usually you get an email right away. They said yes I was listed for a replacement and should receive an email sometime today. I am wondering
if I may be getting a refurbished unit instead of a new one. Which at this point I really don't care as long as I get one that works!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't received any emails from CS. I spoke to them this morning, so maybe I'll receive one tomorrow? The rep said it was likely my new unit would be here by tomorrow or the next day.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I guess I was worried because with my first replacement I received an email right away.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This was the email I received from CS today:

Hello,

I'm sorry your Kindle isn't working and am sending you a replacement Kindle via One-Day
Delivery to get it to you as soon as possible.

If you get an order confirmation e-mail indicating a charge for the order below, don't
worry. I've adjusted the cost to zero for you but couldn't stop the automated message
showing a charge from going out.

Here's your replacement order information:

Order Number: {edited}
Estimated Delivery Date: May 6th

Remember to remove any optional accessories you may have added to your Kindle and back up
your personal content to your computer. You'll be able to access your existing Kindle
library and change your subscription delivery options on the Manage Your Kindle page http:
//www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle when your replacement Kindle arrives.

Please insert the Kindle into a plastic bag, put it in original packaging if available,
and send it back to us within 30 days from the date of this e-mail. If we don't receive
the device by then, you'll be charged for the replacement Kindle.

A pre-paid shipping label can be printed here:

https://www.ups.com/{edited}

Thank you for allowing us to work through this problem with you. Your replacement Kindle
will be there soon.

Best regards,

Eric C.
http://www.amazon.com

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's exactly what happened on my screen when I dropped it. Everything stuck. 1/2 screen saver, ghosting, etc. Maybe I didn't break it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine happened just when I turned it on after downloading a new book- I wonder if it's something glitchy with the screen and when you dropped it, it "glitched" it. I have mine in the Amazon cover all the time except for at the beach when it's in the trendydigital waterproof cover.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm glad I never had that problem with my Kindle and keeping my fingers crossed that it will never happen. But I agree with Betsy that be sure that you have recieved your replacement before sending your defective K back. But I agree that the CS are very fast and professional. They are one of the CS I have encountered to be very good and keeping up with the name of their company.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That happened to mine after I bumped it on the door jamb.  My K2 was in the amazon cover. I was willing to live with it since I could still read the whole page but it got worse, then I found out my neighbor dropped hers on concrete with no cover, and her K2 was fine.  I talked to CS, and they sent me a new one the next day (they also gave me a credit for my skin). I have noticed a huge difference in the two Kindles, no sun fading, better battery and better contrast.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got my replacement Kindle today! The contrast actually appears to be better than my original- it's rainy today, so no sun fade test yet. Fingers crossed. I'll give it a few days before I send my broken one back- just in case.

I'm a little worried that people are saying the screen problem sounds like user damage- mine just happened, no drop or anything. Should I be worried that I'm going to get a hard time or charged after the fact for my replacement?

·
Registered
22 Posts
No do not be worried, I believe you really had a defective devise, I'm sorry if it sounded like I was insinuating otherwise.  Amazon is a wonderful company, I truly think they go above and beyond for customer service.  I have read a lot of posts about K2's being in car accidents, dropped and sat on with no damage done, and posts about it being bumped while covered and in a bag with damage.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
mattswifeof15yrs said:
That happened to mine after I bumped it on the door jamb. My K2 was in the amazon cover. I was willing to live with it since I could still read the whole page but it got worse, then I found out my neighbor dropped hers on concrete with no cover, and her K2 was fine. I talked to CS, and they sent me a new one the next day (they also gave me a credit for my skin). I have noticed a huge difference in the two Kindles, no sun fading, better battery and better contrast.
Wow, you got a credit for your skin? I have lost two DecalGirl skins because of several replacements for sunfading. I never thought to mention it to CS. Wish I had.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts