Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have given up on Kindle! I have had two. Each was treated with kid gloves..always in its case, never dropped, no spills etc
I love the concept of the product but it falls way short. I packed my first one on a trip to Jordan. Midway through the trip, several lines of the screen went dead, rendering the unit unusable. I had not packed any physical books and was in a country where English books were hard to find. I go CRAZY without reading material on hand!! After a very expensive call to Amazon, they said there was nothing they could do other than replace my unit. Fine but of no help for my trip. Lo and behold after a month with the replacement unit, I turned it on one day to find the entire screen reduced to black lines. Completely unusable. I give up!! Amazon needs some quality control.

A

·
0 Posts
I've had my K1 for 7 months now with no problems. It sounds like you were rough on your Kindles. When you said you packed yours on your trip did you mean in your suitcase? That was a big mistake. No Kindle, in a case or otherwise could survive that kind of rough handling. I hope you'll get another one, they are the most wonderful devices!

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
NYC, it doesn't sound to me like she was rough at all. . . .just got bad units.  You apparently got a good one first time and that's great. . .I did too.

leedoty, I'm sorry you've had bad luck. . . .but I wouldn't give up. . . .a lot of us haven't had any trouble and Amazon has been good about replacing defective units for those who have.  Of course, statistics mean nothing when it keeps being YOUR unit that has trouble.  I feel for you!  Especially as you were left with no access to English language reading material.  I'd go nuts too!  Call Amazon and let them know your displeasure. . . .I'm sure they'll send a new one. . .maybe third time will be the charm!

Good Luck!

Ann

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
leedoty don't give up. I've had good luck with my Kindle but there are several members here who have had to have 4 or more replacements. It is such a wonderful device I would at least give it one more try.  :)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Hi Leedoty,

Welcome to KindleBoards! Glad to have you here.

I do agree that the quality control for Kindles seems to be spotty. Some folks are very lucky and have Kindles with no problems at all. That was me, until last week, when my 2 month old K2 decided to pop open and show me his private parts! LOL. But meanwhile, my one year old K1, and Kindles I have bought as gifts for family and friends, are all going strong and working perfectly. On the other hand, we have several members who have had to replace their Kindles multiple times for various issues: screen fading, whispernet problems, etc. The good news is that it seems that Amazon is committed to making it right for their customers when they have legitimate problems. So don't give up. Eventually you'll get a Kindle that meets and exceeds your expectations.

L

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Wow, that's frustrating!  I bought my Kindle in large part for trips.  But, Linda, Leslie & Ann are right, we've had members who've had multiple returns due to screen problems. Keep going.  I know Leslie has made many trips with her Kindle(s) and her son took his to Jamaica, was it, Leslie?  So they CAN travel.  I flew mine (Eleanor) to San Diego for a vacation, she really appreciated it.

Note to self:  pack at least ONE paperback for emergencies when going to Finland this summer.

Betsy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts