Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While trying to find a definition for 'women's fiction' I came across Askville by Amazon.

http://askville.amazon.com/identity-define-book-genres/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=5061035

Women's Fiction: Women's fiction, also known as "Chick Lit," is sometimes considered a sub-genre of romance. It borrows some elements of romance, yet does not necessarily focus on the pursuit of one relationship or the happily ever after ending. Chick Lit tends to feature sophisticated, savvy women in their 20s and 30s, although characters can be older or younger. The characters might bounce from man to man in search of the perfect relationship, or they might focus more on their friends and jobs. They are generally looking for a perfect something, whether it's a perfect man, a perfect figure, a perfect job, or a perfect pair of shoes.

I wasn't aware that women's fiction was interchangeable with chick-lit ::). I wonder if the average reader knows the definition of women's fiction, literary fiction etc.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Jan Hurst-Nicholson said:
While trying to find a definition for 'women's fiction' I came across Askville by Amazon.

http://askville.amazon.com/identity-define-book-genres/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=5061035

Women's Fiction: Women's fiction, also known as "Chick Lit," is sometimes considered a sub-genre of romance. It borrows some elements of romance, yet does not necessarily focus on the pursuit of one relationship or the happily ever after ending. Chick Lit tends to feature sophisticated, savvy women in their 20s and 30s, although characters can be older or younger. The characters might bounce from man to man in search of the perfect relationship, or they might focus more on their friends and jobs. They are generally looking for a perfect something, whether it's a perfect man, a perfect figure, a perfect job, or a perfect pair of shoes.

I wasn't aware that women's fiction was interchangeable with chick-lit ::). I wonder if the average reader knows the definition of women's fiction, literary fiction etc.
I'm no expert, but I always assumed that chick lit was a sub-cat of women's fiction or humour, not romance. Colour me embarrassed :-[

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ruecole said:
I didn't read them all, but they definitely got the Women's Fiction definition wrong! :eek:

Rue
But perhaps they are using the definition as defined by the average reader. Until I learned differently from the KBoards, I had assumed that Women's Fiction consisted of books most enjoyed by women readers. ::)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I'd class Jodi Picoult as "women's fiction" but not as romance and definitely not as chick lit!

To me, chick-lit is a light fluffy beach-read, while women's fiction has that extra dimension, a bit deeper and may feature older women.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Interesting.

I wonder why Scfi-Fi & Fantasy aren't separated in the book industry. They are clearly different and defined genres, and yet they're always lumped together.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I wouldn't class women's fiction and chick-lit in the same category either! And as for sci-fi and fantasy being in the same section of every bookshop and library I've ever been in for the past 30 years, it still annoys me to this day ;) There may be some crossover, but they are not the same!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts