Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
There has been a lot of abuse of tagging.  It could be they removed them, or they could just be down while they revamp something.

Camille

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Following up on what Camille said, I know some readers had gotten upset about perceived abuse of tagging.  They might have contacted Amazon.  I find it unlikely that would cause Amazon to remove ALL tags, though, so I think the revamping theory is more likely.

·
Registered
638 Posts
This happened once before as I recall, there was a thread here about it. Then book tags came back. Wait and see, I guess.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Interesting - my tags are gone, but the "Look for similar items by subject" list, which is based on the tags still has the same list for the tags I had on there.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Oh, that's interesting, modwitch. The paper edition of Stranger in a Strange Land has tags, but the Kindle edition doesn't. Weird-- shouldn't it just carry over from one edition to the other? The reviews do.

That tends to suggest to me that it might be deliberate, but then again, it could just be a fluke. Wait and see, I guess...

·
Registered
768 Posts
I've only been here since the end of March and tagging has always been glitchy. I'm thinking this is something technical rather than a sign that tagging is being removed permanently.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
No tags on.com or.co.uk

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm guessing this is a reaction to the "9.99 boycott" thing.

·
Registered
610 Posts
edwardgtalbot said:
Interesting - my tags are gone, but the "Look for similar items by subject" list, which is based on the tags still has the same list for the tags I had on there.
Same here.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
GrouchoKindle said:
I'm guessing this is a reaction to the "9.99 boycott" thing.
And there has been a boom in junk and self-promotional tags out there. People spamming their name or product all over the place in tags, and others putting in random words. Tagging horror as Christian and Christian as horror, and putting erotica tags on children's lit, etc. Putting the tag "llamas" on random books.

When indies do the tagging club thing, it's easy for Amazon to just change the algorithm to neutralize it -- but this abusive stuff is a problem. (Especially with authors complaining to the management about every loose tag -- abusive or not.)

Modwitch is probably right that this is a glitch, but I would not be surprised if they didn't remove it to revamp the system thoroughly either.

Camille

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
daringnovelist said:
There has been a lot of abuse of tagging. It could be they removed them, or they could just be down while they revamp something.

Camille
Tags were becoming meaningless. I don't think it would be a big loss, unless they had some kind of verification that only those who had bought the book could tag.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts