Kindle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about giving my dad a Kindle for Fathers Day/Birthday, and putting it on my account, as we have similar reading interests. I have a couple of "adult" books that I'd rather my dad not know about (yes, I'm a grown up, but you know....).  Is it possible to remove those books from my library on Amazon?  Other than that, I understand the ins and outs of sharing an account, I think.

Thanks!
Laura

·
Super Moderator
67,250 Posts
marianner said:
On the other hand, I'm not sure what your books are, but your dad may just look at them, think, blech, romance, and not look any closer ;D
Yeah. . . Romance titles are pretty easy to spot. He won't know how 'adult' it is unless it's called something like
"Kinky Sexy Novel".
;D

(or maybe he would like to read 'that sort of thing' and just never has because he didn't want to be caught with one of those books whose covers are also pretty easy to spot. As we've learned, with the Kindle, that is not an issue! :) )

Of course, if you just don't want him to know that you read them, well, that's very different. :D

·
Registered
514 Posts
Laura, from my experience with deleting books, the only way they'll be removed from your Media Page (and the Content or Archive pages of your Kindle 1 or 2) is by getting a refund on them. If they were free downloads (a lot of the erotica have been freebies), then just call and tell them your problem, that you really don't want a refund, just process them as a refund so they'll be deleted. If they weren't free, ask them if they can process them as a 0.00 refund and still run them through the refund process so they'll delete.

Let us know if this works!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Its silly that Amazon doesn't have a process for people to delete stuff from their media library.  I must admit, I got a free romance novel that was AWEFUL and I hate that its sitting there in my archive folder.  I don't want to be reminded of that horrible book!  I shouldn't have to call for a refund.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I called CS once to do this about 6 months ago and was told that once you 'own' (subjective considering the Kindle agreement) a book it will remain in your list and cannot be deleted.  It will be interesting to see what lists look like and what kind of list management is available 10 years from now.  :-\

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think this becomes one of our many wish list items for the Kindle. The ability to have multiple Kindles share an account (especially family members) but have some of the books be able to be "tagged" as you only or to have parental control type options.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was able to move them into "Trash", so they don't appear on my "Manage your Kindle" page, but I can't empty the Trash, so they're still there, but very hard to find.

You have to click on the plus sign next the book title on the "Your Orders" section of the Manage page. Then "View All Order Details", where you will see a "View Your Media Library" button. That takes you to a different-looking page titled "YourMediaLibrary", where you can put stuff in the trash, and it won't show up on the "Manage Your Kindle" orders page.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
k_reader said:
Its silly that Amazon doesn't have a process for people to delete stuff from their media library. I must admit, I got a free romance novel that was AWEFUL and I hate that its sitting there in my archive folder. I don't want to be reminded of that horrible book! I shouldn't have to call for a refund.
Nope, not silly but necessary. You know there would be a ton of morons demanding access to the books that THEY PAID FOR and then deleted, whether accidentally or on purpose.

·
Registered
918 Posts
LBenn said:
I was able to move them into "Trash", so they don't appear on my "Manage your Kindle" page, but I can't empty the Trash, so they're still there, but very hard to find.

You have to click on the plus sign next the book title on the "Your Orders" section of the Manage page. Then "View All Order Details", where you will see a "View Your Media Library" button. That takes you to a different-looking page titled "YourMediaLibrary", where you can put stuff in the trash, and it won't show up on the "Manage Your Kindle" orders page.
Thanks for this. For the OP, there's also an option of "Make selected items private".

·
Registered
558 Posts
Jenni said:
Thanks for this. For the OP, there's also an option of "Make selected items private".
How does moving it to the trash and making it private affect the list of Archived Items on the kindle? Do they still appear there? Sorry for asking - I just don't have my kindle with me (and don't get whispernet in my office if I did have it).

·
Registered
918 Posts
vermontcathy said:
How does moving it to the trash and making it private affect the list of Archived Items on the kindle? Do they still appear there? Sorry for asking - I just don't have my kindle with me (and don't get whispernet in my office if I did have it).
I have the K1 and I tried moving a book to the trash. The book doesn't appear on my content manager. As for making it private, I don't think it works 'cause I tried it. I guess moving it to the trash is enough.

·
Registered
184 Posts
LBenn said:

That is cool, did know that option was there. Thanks.

·
Registered
558 Posts
crueltobekindle said:
I don't think this helps where the media library, or the archive on your Kindle are concerned.
You're right, putting a book in the trash does remove it from the list of purchases on your Manage My Kindle page, but doesn't remove it from the Archived Items list on the kindle (2). Bummer. I wrote to Amazon CS about a book that I didn't want to see. I said I didn't need a refund (it was only $.99) but I just wanted to make it go away. I said it was awful. They sent me an email saying they refunded the money, and it was gone. I feel a little guilty, but really, it's their own fault for not having a way to make it go away w/o refunding the money. I think I'll ask them to take away The Babysitter's Code. It was terrible. It was free, so I don't have to worry about guilt from a refund I didn't deserve.

Cathy

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
LBenn said:

Thank you for this step by step explanation. I never would have figured that out on my own.
deb

·
Registered
581 Posts
LBenn said:

Thank you so much for posting this. I am giving my old Kindle to my husband. I have a few awful books I wanted to get rid of and never download to either of our Kindles again. I sure wish I could eradicate them from the archive as well, but this is at least something!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts