Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some questions on deleting items from the Kindle. 

First, I noticed that any time I bookmark a page, make a note, or highlight that it is stored in an item called "my clippings" once I delete the bookmark, note, or highlight.  Do I just delete the "my clippings" file to clear it from the Kindle completely?  If so, is another "my clippings" file created the next time I make a note, etc.? 

Second, if I ever want to remove a book from my Kindle, how do I do that?  I know I go to the manage content area and can check the box next to an item and tell the Kindle to delete it, but does that require Whispernet access?  I don't get Whispernet at my house.  Can I do it another way if I hook the Kindle up to my computer with the USB cable, and if so, how? 

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You should also know that deleting the "My Clippings" file will delete the bookmarks, highlights, and notes for ALL your books. They are all stored in the same file. If you want to delete the bookmarks, etc for just one book, here's what you do: plug in your kindle into your computer, navigate to the documents folder, find the book. There should be two files with the same name. One of them will have the .prc/.mobi/.awz extension. That is your book. Now, I can't remember the other extension off the top of my head (I think it might be .txt or something similar), but that other file contains all the bookmarks, highlights, and notes for that particular book. If you delete this file, your book will be like new again.

Note: I haven't actually done this myself, but I'm pretty sure this is the procedure.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
mwvickers said:
First, I noticed that any time I bookmark a page, make a note, or highlight that it is stored in an item called "my clippings" once I delete the bookmark, note, or highlight.
Actually, the clippings entries are there from the time you first made the bookmark, note, or highlight.

mwvickers said:
Do I just delete the "my clippings" file to clear it from the Kindle completely? If so, is another "my clippings" file created the next time I make a note, etc.?
Yes and yes. Also, as nebulinda alluded to, deleting this file will not remove the bookmarks and things from your book, just the text record of them.

mwvickers said:
Second, if I ever want to remove a book from my Kindle, how do I do that? I know I go to the manage content area and can check the box next to an item and tell the Kindle to delete it, but does that require Whispernet access?
No Whispernet required. The book will still be available at amazon (no "uploading" or "transferring" required).

mwvickers said:
Can I do it another way if I hook the Kindle up to my computer with the USB cable, and if so, how?
Sure, you can also just hook up the Kindle with the USB and delete the book file. There are actually two files, one with the actual book (.azw, .azw1, or .tpz) and one for your annotations and such (.prb, or something like that).

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
nebulinda said:
You should also know that deleting the "My Clippings" file will delete the bookmarks, highlights, and notes for ALL your books. They are all stored in the same file. If you want to delete the bookmarks, etc for just one book, here's what you do: plug in your kindle into your computer, navigate to the documents folder, find the book. There should be two files with the same name. One of them will have the .prc/.mobi/.awz extension. That is your book. Now, I can't remember the other extension off the top of my head (I think it might be .txt or something similar), but that other file contains all the bookmarks, highlights, and notes for that particular book. If you delete this file, your book will be like new again.

Note: I haven't actually done this myself, but I'm pretty sure this is the procedure.
Actually, the "My Clippings.txt" is just an extra copy. The actual notes/highlights, etc. for each book are in the .mbp file, so if you delete that, it goes away from that book. However, even if you delete an individual note, etc., it will stay in the "My Clippings" file, since that is just an extra copy.

You can delete the whole "My Clippings" file (do it via the Content Manager to be safe), if you want to "reset" that file. I use that to track typos in books, so that I can send emails to the publishers and/or Amazon to get them corrected. Just highlight the bad line(s), then delete the highlight. Now you have a copy in the "My Clippings" file that you can copy to your pc and edit into a nice list to send the publisher.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
stevene9 said:
marianner,

How do you get a lot of different quotes from different people in the top box?

Steve
When you hit the reply button, scroll down your screen. You will see the last posts. Just click on "Insert Quote" at the top of the posts you want to multi-quote. Then you can go back into the reply box and type your response.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
stevene9 said:
How do you get a lot of different quotes from different people in the top box?
gertiekindle said:
When you hit the reply button, scroll down your screen. You will see the last posts. Just click on "Insert Quote" at the top of the posts you want to multi-quote. Then you can go back into the reply box and type your response.
^Yep. Don't feel bad, I just figured out how to do it a few days ago! ;D

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
gertiekindle said:
Lets see if this works

[/quote]
marianner said:
^Yep. Don't feel bad, I just figured out how to do it a few days ago! ;D
Holly Moly

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all for the informative responses.  I'm not tech savvy at all, so I appreciate the help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts