Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the Kindle books I have is filled with errors (I won't say which one because I contacted the author and publisher, and I want to give them a chance to make things right first).

The publisher got back to me and suggested I delete and re-DL the book because they couldn't replicate the errors.

I've tried that a few different ways (wirelessly, through the USB, etc.). The errors remain.

Is there any "official" procedure for deleting and re-DLing to update a book (i.e. Leslie's FAQ) or to fix errors?

I got back to the publisher with an example of a particular error in the book and how to find it using the location number (I told them my font size as well). Hopefully they'll fix it. I would have provided a screencap, but I don't have an SD card in which to do so.

I'm expecting the error to be on their end, and not mine, but I thought I'd post this question anyway just in case.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I would suggest that you use the content manager to remove the book from the Kindle. Then, using the content manager again, choose the book from Amazon and move back to your Kindle.

The only way the file at Amazon is going to change is if the publisher uploads a new file. So, if you are downloading the same file it stands to reason that it has the same errors.

Does the publisher have a Kindle to look at the file?

Did the errors occur right at the beginning? If so, you could tell me the name of the book and I could download a sample and see if I see the errors (PM the name if you don't want to post it here).

I also have an SD card and can do screenshots. We could post a pic of a page with errors here and direct the publisher to come look at it.

Last, where do you think we should move this? Tips & tricks or Let's talk Kindle?

L

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot, Leslie. I just sent you a PM with the name of the book.

I also tried your content manager suggestion. That didn't "fix" the book either. (Like I said, I'm pretty certain the problem is on their end and not mine.) I assume the publisher has a Kindle. Otherwise, I'm not sure how they could look at the Kindle version.

As for which board to move it to, I was originally going to post it in "Let's Talk Kindle," but if you think "Tips & Tricks" is a better place for it, I have no objections.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I think there are quite a few authors and publishers without Kindles so they don't have any idea what their products look like!

So, looking at the sample:

1. The TOC as numbers which is pointless, since the book doesn't have numbers. The links to take you to the chapters work, however.
2. Locations 31-36, odd spacing on C HRIS
3. Locations 36-41, indent at the top of the page (which would be the middle of the sentence)
4. On that same screen, last line "selfrighteous" (should be self-righteous)
5. Location 58-62, there is a superscripted number but it doesn't link to anything. However, at location 66-71, the citation appears in the middle of the page.
6. Also location 58-62, drugenhanced should be drug enhanced
7. Location 66-71, freakshow ...my preference is freak show but I have also seen it as one word.
8. Locations 71-75, indent at the top of the page (which would be the middle of the sentence)
9. Locations 143-147, bordering-oninvisible should be bordering-on-invisible
10. Locations 164-168, familymurdering should be two words

I'll stop there. I think it is a combination of poor editing generally combined with careless or sloppy formatting for the Kindle book.

L

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you VERY much, Leslie. If/when the publishers get back to me, I'll be sure to send them your list of errors. If they don't get back to me in a few days, I'll send it anyway.

With words like self-righteous, drug enhanced and freak show, I'm sure everyone is wondering just what the hell we're reading. LOL.

G

·
CS said:

With words like self-righteous, drug enhanced and freak show, I'm sure everyone is wondering just what the hell we're reading. LOL.
You find my bio? I thought it was out of print!

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
But if you transfer a book from your Kindle with your bookmarks, highlights, notes to Amazon and then some time later transfer it back to your Kindle your bookmarks, etc. stay with it / do not change.  So maybe wouldn't the "edition" of the book stay the same?  If you wanted a corrected edition, maybe Amazon would have to cancel your purchase of the book and credit your account for purchase amount (totally delete it from your Amazon library).  Then you would repurchase the book.  I would expect at no higher price.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
CS said:
Thank you VERY much, Leslie. If/when the publishers get back to me, I'll be sure to send them your list of errors. If they don't get back to me in a few days, I'll send it anyway.

Since you have your library in your signature, we can make it a contest and let people guess. I wonder how many votes The Amazon Kindle FAQ will get? LOL.

PS, You better add: Bacardi Jim: A Life Lived Out Loud to the list... ;)

L

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I think 'drugenhanced' should be 'drug-enhanced'. 

Sounds like the kinds of errors I've seen a number of times where they apparently converted or scanned the book, and had issues with leaving out hyphens where they shouldn't, and running words together, or leaving a space where words would have been hyphenated (split) at the ends of lines in the physical book.

I've had several books with this kind of formatting error, so it must be fairly common.  Publishers are apparently either not able or not willing to view the final formatted output.

It drives me completely crazy to try and read books like this.  Fortunately, the 'highlight' feature of the Kindle makes it easy to gather up all the errors in the 'My Clippings' file so that I can email Amazon and/or the publisher.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Sandpiper said:
But if you transfer a book from your Kindle with your bookmarks, highlights, notes to Amazon and then some time later transfer it back to your Kindle your bookmarks, etc. stay with it / do not change. So maybe wouldn't the "edition" of the book stay the same? If you wanted a corrected edition, maybe Amazon would have to cancel your purchase of the book and credit your account for purchase amount (totally delete it from your Amazon library). Then you would repurchase the book. I would expect at no higher price.
Bookmarks and other notes are stored on another file on your Kindle that goes with the book you downloaded. As soon as you open an Amazon book (.azw, etc.) a file with the same name is created, with extension .mpb. If you delete the .mpb file from the Kindle, when you open the book again on your Kindle all of your markings will no longer be there.

There is a Kindle option whereby you can have Amazon keep track of your markings (the .mpb file) or not. I elected to not have that file upload.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Sandpiper said:
But if you transfer a book from your Kindle with your bookmarks, highlights, notes to Amazon and then some time later transfer it back to your Kindle your bookmarks, etc. stay with it / do not change. So maybe wouldn't the "edition" of the book stay the same? If you wanted a corrected edition, maybe Amazon would have to cancel your purchase of the book and credit your account for purchase amount (totally delete it from your Amazon library). Then you would repurchase the book. I would expect at no higher price.
Supposedly, if the publisher uploads a new version of the book, if you re-download it, you will get the corrected version. I actually haven't tried this myself but I have been told on numerous occasions that is what happens.

Your bookmarks and notes are in the .mbp file attached to the book. What I need to find out is, if you delete the book, does that file get deleted to? But that doesn't really make sense. On the other hand, if a book changes substantially, then how would the bookmarks like up in the new version if they were generated from the old?

Theoretically I can understand the various permutations and know what I would do to test them. I just haven't had time, nor do I have a book that I know for a fact has been revised (although I did buy one that I complained about, so that one might be different).

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
There is a Kindle option whereby you can have Amazon keep track of your markings (the .mpb file) or not. I elected to not have that file upload.
Where is that? Interesting info. Thanks, Pidgeon.

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
SusanCassidy said:
I think 'drugenhanced' should be 'drug-enhanced'.
I debated that one. I also did not like headfirst but it can be one word.

Sounds like the kinds of errors I've seen a number of times where they apparently converted or scanned the book, and had issues with leaving out hyphens where they shouldn't, and running words together, or leaving a space where words would have been hyphenated (split) at the ends of lines in the physical book.
Also, just from the 150 locations I read, I think the book could use a good editor, but that's my opinion.

I've had several books with this kind of formatting error, so it must be fairly common. Publishers are apparently either not able or not willing to view the final formatted output.

It drives me completely crazy to try and read books like this. Fortunately, the 'highlight' feature of the Kindle makes it easy to gather up all the errors in the 'My Clippings' file so that I can email Amazon and/or the publisher.
Good idea. It drives me crazy, too.

L

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Leslie said:
Where is that? Interesting info. Thanks, Pidgeon.

L
You know, I will have to verify that that function does what I think it does....

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Leslie said:
Since you have your library in your signature, we can make it a contest and let people guess. I wonder how many votes The Amazon Kindle FAQ will get? LOL.
LOL. Guess away, everyone. :)

I'm running out of sig room, but I like displaying my collection, so I'll have to figure out another way to do it. :)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
From the User Guide:

Automatic Backup will backup your last location read, all of your notes, and bookmarks
you make to Amazon.com on any of your purchased content. If you delete an item from
your Kindle or your Kindle is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can automatically restore
your annotations, bookmarks, and the last location you read by downloading the item
from Your Media Library.

You can enable or disable automatic backup by following the steps below:
1. If you are not already on the Home screen, press the Home key.
2. Scroll to the Menu selection, and press the select wheel.
3. Select "Settings" from the menu.
4. Select "Enable" or "Disable" from the Annotations section.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Leslie said:
I think there are quite a few authors and publishers without Kindles so they don't have any idea what their products look like!

So, looking at the sample:

1. The TOC as numbers which is pointless, since the book doesn't have numbers. The links to take you to the chapters work, however.
2. Locations 31-36, odd spacing on C HRIS
3. Locations 36-41, indent at the top of the page (which would be the middle of the sentence)
4. On that same screen, last line "selfrighteous" (should be self-righteous)
5. Location 58-62, there is a superscripted number but it doesn't link to anything. However, at location 66-71, the citation appears in the middle of the page.
6. Also location 58-62, drugenhanced should be drug enhanced
7. Location 66-71, freakshow ...my preference is freak show but I have also seen it as one word.
8. Locations 71-75, indent at the top of the page (which would be the middle of the sentence)
9. Locations 143-147, bordering-oninvisible should be bordering-on-invisible
10. Locations 164-168, familymurdering should be two words

I'll stop there. I think it is a combination of poor editing generally combined with careless or sloppy formatting for the Kindle book.

L
I downloaded a sample of a devotional/bible that had issues much like this... I am glad I did not purchase. I reported my findings to Amazon and I posted to customer comments to Kindle users to beware...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts