Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Goodreads reader gave my novel The Old Mermaid's Tale a lovely 5-star review:

Naomi B rated it 5 Stars:
I have to be honest with the reader of this review. I had received this book as part of a package deal with the author's other book, Each Angel Burns, which I had been dying to read...and def. lived up to its' promise. I went into this book with a bit more trepidation as the description of the book didn't tickle my fancy in the least and I was concerned that I would be giving it a poor review.

Every so often, I am shocked about my reactions to a book. This book was a wonderful example of a MATURE, coming of age book that was written with a poignancy that with the age of the main character didn't come off as shallow, stupid or superficial and best yet, I didn't feel like I had dropped a couple of IQ points with often sticky, sweet, cutsey literature that women are forced to endure in reading books about women's issues, particularly with the age of the main character (late teens-early twenties)

This is def. an author I will be seeking out. Her writing has def. hit me with an enjoyment of drinking a fine glass of wine.

But, of course, this begs a question: what in the description turned her off? I didn't respond to the review on the page but I did email her, thank her for the review and asked if she would care to offer any suggestions on how to improve the description? Would you have done that?

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Congrats on the great review and for the reviewer being kind enough to offer blurb suggestions.  A win win all around.  :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
What a lovely review, Kathleen! Congratulations! :) I think your contact with the reviewer was just fine--professional and courteous. And she responded in the same fashion. You received some valuable insight about your description that you may not have if you hadn't asked her about it.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
That's excellent Kathleen, especially as some reviewers might have given you a 4 or lower for not liking your description.

;)

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Wow! What a great way to start the week. I'm curious about the prod desc & what the reader didn't like. Did you agree with her points once she raised them? Would you be willing to give us a bit more info? Prod desc are very important & difficult to write. I don't want to oversell -- or undersell. IMO a tricky balance to get just right.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've actually gotten another email from her since and one of the things she said is that she loved the fact that several of the characters -- not just the main character -- were struggling to come to terms with their sexuality but all in different ways. The question is, how do you phrase that in a description without sounding sort of creepy? For instance, when Clair, the main character, has sex for the first time she is very, very disappointed in the experience. Especially because her best friend is glowing with her first experience. It's not something that needs to go in the description, I suppose but I definitely have to work on this....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts