Kindle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Kat, I found that I was holding my Kindle a different distance from my eyes than I did with a paper book.  I was forcing my eyes to work harder.  I didn't have the headaches but my eyes did get tired faster.  I went and got reading glasses and have had not problems since.  If you think that you might try reading glasses I would suggest taking your Kindle with you when you are looking.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Wow, we were having such a good time...now I have a whole different attitude toward this board.  Think I'll just lurk from now on... so much for getting my junior message status!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
betctru said:
Wow, we were having such a good time...now I have a whole different attitude toward this board. Think I'll just lurk from now on... so much for getting my junior message status!
I, for one, am not sure what has changed your attitude. There will always be some dissension on message boards, the posters are all human and have had their sahre of experiences here and elsewhere. Honest, interesting people will always be the majority."Trolls" will crop up, and be removed. I am pleased to be a moderator for this board, I run my own board elsewhere, and am a member of several others. It does not take long to decipher which posts are worth reading, and which are not; very similar to blogs. Don't give up yet, we are dedicated to providing a first-rate user experience.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Kat:  I am a long time migraine sufferer.  Light flash can trigger these things as can the need for glasses.  Investigate the situation by keeping a journal (including foods).  Write down when this occurs:  do you wake up with it?  go to bed with it?  does it dissipate or become worse?  Is it just a headache or full blown migraine?  Does darkness help?  Are noises/sound magnified?  Is it accompanied by dizziness/vertigo? 

Try 2 days NO kindle; two days Kindle; compare. 

Then take your notes to your doctor.

I was treated for migraine/vertigo; spent tons of money and came up with the "self-diagnosis" after keeping a very strict and detailed journal...I am highly allergic to (and LOVE them)...onions.  They trigger migraines.  I would be bed-ridden for 3 days at a time...with light sensitivity and vomiting. It can be anything from a food item; to an eye problem and you're linking it to the Kindle because that is the latest point at which you noticed the symptoms; and associated it with the Kindle.  Unfortunately, you can't be too sure that it isn't.

Keep a journal and visit your doctor.   P.S. my son's (age 18) allergies have been off the wall this week; they were so bad today I called the city and said pleeeeeease come pick up my yard waste!! 

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for all the advice everyone.  Just to update: I am definitely having allergy/sinus problems today, which is probably the biggest part of the problem last night.  I used the Kindle briefly today and my eyes were no worse than before I picked it up.

Before my Kindle arrived I had read about people having difficulty adjusting to the flash, or whatever you call it, when turning pages, so I was careful to look away when I did it.  That may sound silly but I was hoping to avoid any potential problems. I get motion sick if I read in a car even for a few minutes. I can't even look at a map for more than a few seconds while the car is moving. I've never met anyone else who has this problem.  Both my daughters can read for hours in the car with no trouble at all.  Everyone is different and I guess I'm particularly sensitive to things others may not be.

I love everything about my Kindle and very much hope to keep it.  I think it won't be a fair trial though until the allergy/sinus issues clear up.  Then it will be easier to judge.

I apologize to anyone who has been upset by the course this discussion has taken today. I truly meant no harm.  I'm asking everyone to please just let this thread die.  The more attention it receives the more it looks as though that was my intent.  So, please, no more posts.

Thanks,
Kat

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Thanks, Kat. I am just going to lock this right now. It seems like this discussion on this thread is done. There is another thread for reading directed to Kat and folks can continue the eye discussion there.

Please PM me if you have questions.

Leslie

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.