Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted a (rather long) post on what appears to be a new 5-device limit on DTP/independent author books that are in the Kindle store. I won't re-post it here, due to it's length, but would appreciate it if any authors here would take the time to read it and leave a comment there (or here). Readers are, of course, also invited to do so, as this limitation may affect many of you, as well.

Device Limited Kindle Books

Thank you in advance (and moderators: please move this, if needed, to another forum, but the Bazaar does seem to be where the indie authors hang out and I'd like to make sure they see this and are aware of this limitation on their books).

Thanks in advance, Karen

·
Registered
188 Posts
Tried to post this anonymously to your blog but for whatever reason it didn't go through.

I can tell you (having just published my second book to the Kindle via DTP and hardcopy via Createspace) that this is NOT an author limitation. Nowhere in either process was I asked how many devices I would authorize. I will say that I just noticed this entry on the Kindle version of my books today.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I just noticed this last night, in checking out some Kindle book choices, and this is VERY disappointing, if it's a new Kindle trend. First, they take away the MUCH touted text-to-speech feature of MANY popular books, and now DECREASE the, again, much touted "6 kindles for each book" feature.

And before anyone jumps on me for the "6 kindles" NOT being guaranteed, I realize this, but it was clearly a widely advertised perk for Kindle buyers from the beginning, to encourage multiple Kindle purchases within a family.

Wonder where this came from, and at who's request?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I noticed the new 5 -device limitation on my books last night. I don't remember ever being given this option on DTP, so I have to believe that since authors everywhere are being slapped with this restriction, that this is an amazon instituted policy.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Kevis Hendrickson said:
I noticed the new 5 -device limitation on my books last night. I don't remember ever being given this option on DTP, so I have to believe that since authors everywhere are being slapped with this restriction, that this is an amazon instituted policy.
But this new 5-Kindle limit is NOT on all Kindle books, and for the ones it is, the description states: "Simultaneous Device Usage: Up to 5 simultaneous devices, per publisher limits" - Amazon specifically gives responsibility to publishers.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
r0b0d0c said:
But this new 5-Kindle limit is NOT on all Kindle books, and for the ones it is, the description states: "Simultaneous Device Usage: Up to 5 simultaneous devices, per publisher limits" - Amazon specifically gives responsibility to publishers.
It's starting to look like Amazon has arbitrarily added this limit to all DTP/self-published titles. No publisher (or author) has selected this restriction (there are exceptions - Wiley only allows four devices, for example, and always has). This is simply a new, retroactive limitation on books already published and a handicap of self-published titles that publishing house titles do not have (their default is six devices, which is what the Kindle is advertised as, as well as what the FAQ page says).

·
Registered
188 Posts
r0b0d0c said:
Just an observation, but they make their own position perfectly clear when they place this restriction on the books that they themselves are the publisher of (Createspace, Booksurge, etc.).

This is sure to fan the flames.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Tanner Artesz said:
Not owning a kindle yet, I can not check my own books. I did not put any restrictions on the number of devices. I AM the publisher of both kindle versions (Shadow and Legacy). So if amazon says that mine are limited and claims the publisher limited it, they are lying.

Tanner
Your books are indeed subject to this limitation, Tanner (you'll see a new line beneath the "Product Details" entry on Amazon for your books.)

I think in this instance (like us Createspace authors), if you used DTP to publish your book, Amazon would claim that they are the publisher, not you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
BP Myers said:
Your books are indeed subject to this limitation, Tanner (you'll see a new line beneath the "Product Details" entry on Amazon for your books.)

I think in this instance (like us Createspace authors), if you used DTP to publish your book, Amazon would claim that they are the publisher, not you.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction here. I'll be sending amazon a quaint little note about this tonight.

Tanner

·
Registered
188 Posts
Tanner Artesz said:
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction here. I'll be sending amazon a quaint little note about this tonight.

Tanner
Thanks. Just irks me no end that potential customers will see the word "limitation" on offerings such as yours and mine, and yet no such limitation will appear on those books offered by the big boys. Don't we have it hard enough?

If they don't want us publishing, just pull the plug on DTP and be done with it. But this is just ridiculous.

·
Registered
132 Posts
BP Myers said:
Thanks. Just irks me no end that potential customers will see the word "limitation" on offerings such as yours and mine, and yet no such limitation will appear on those books offered by the big boys. Don't we have it hard enough?

If they don't want us publishing, just pull the plug on DTP and be done with it. But this is just ridiculous.
I've sent an e-mail and posted on the dtp forums. I'll let you know if any answers come of it.

Tanner

·
Registered
809 Posts
This was pointed out to me today too.

When I published Wrong Number, I noticed something was up. That was on June 11, right around when the 20% discount went away too. Stalker, which I published a few months earlier, had me list a publisher, so I put Klordny Productions. I put the same thing for Wrong Number but noticed it never went through.

I'm assuming Amazon considers DTP titles to be published by them too.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tanner Artesz said:
This was posted by dtpadmin on the forum:

Hello,

We have identified an error in our system. We are fixing the problem to remove the device limit for DTP titles. We apologize for this error.
Tanner,

Which forum is this posted in? I noticed that the thread on the main Kindle forum seems to have been completely deleted, rather than info posted about the error.

Yet, they've left a dozen or so threads about them deleting books with no notice (without dropping into let people know that it was due to them being unauthorized copies).

·
Registered
132 Posts
koland said:
Tanner,

Which forum is this posted in? I noticed that the thread on the main Kindle forum seems to have been completely deleted, rather than info posted about the error.

Yet, they've left a dozen or so threads about them deleting books with no notice (without dropping into let people know that it was due to them being unauthorized copies).
Amazon DTP » Support Home » Forums Home » Ask the Community » General Questions >> 5 simultaneous device licenses for DTP books?

Sorry for the delay in answering. I've been kind of busy today.

Hope this helps,

Tanner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts