Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom and I have this problem. We have device, but we NEVER use them.

me:
Hair straightener. (iron whatever its called) Mom spent a lot on a brand that she heard was awesome. Mom loved it. I thought it was too much of a hassle to straighten my hair (which isn't all that fizzy in the desert) so she took it.
stereo (always used my zune. dorm habits die hard)

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I have a set of curlers, electric, that I thought would help soften my already curly hair.  Too much hassle. 

My boyfriend gave me some kind of a foot bath massager thingy.  I can't make him understand that the last thing I want to do is get it out of the box, fill it with water, plug it in, and then clean the whole mess up again when my feet already hurt.  LOL.

I too use my stereo infrequently since I got an MP3 player last year. 

I gave up on the iced tea maker.  Again, too much hassle.  Easier to make tea with my tea kettle that is out all the time.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
My boyfriend gave me some kind of a foot bath massager thingy. I can't make him understand that the last thing I want to do is get it out of the box, fill it with water, plug it in, and then clean the whole mess up again when my feet already hurt. LOL.
This is so true!

I asked for, and received, a very nice Kitchenaid food processor for Christmas, 2005 and very shortly after, I stopped cooking. So it has been barely used. I've pulled it out a few times, but not like my old workhorse Cuisinart, which I used constantly. Oh well.

L

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The cell phone.  My wife and I got a three phone plan so her elderly and ill mother could contact us more easily.  I rarely use the damn thing and I'm going to max out the rollover minutes.  In fact, 90% of all calls made are to my wife when we're at Costco and she has wondered off in a daze of shopping and I want to find out what aisle she is in. 

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
GPS - I have new and very expensive handheld GPS and my phone has GPS.  When I hike, there is usually a trail.  I don't geocache much anymore.  When I drive, I usually know where I'm going.  I know a lot of people like their GPS, but for me it's been a big waste of money. 

(but I gotta admit, I still love my little electronic devices even if I don't use it much)

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
kim said:
GPS - I have new and very expensive handheld GPS and my phone has GPS. When I hike, there is usually a trail. I don't geocache much anymore. When I drive, I usually know where I'm going. I know a lot of people like their GPS, but for me it's been a big waste of money.
I agree. Although I see the few advantages of the GPS, i.e. finding a hotel, restaurant in a strange city, I normally have no problem finding my way around. OTOH, my boyfriend is always hopelessly lost. His GPS is great for him.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The toaster.
The oven.
The fridge.
The dvd player in the living room.  (I have one in my room, and most nights just put on a movie.  But I use the one in the living room so infrequently that I've lost the remote, and may never be able to use it again.  Which is a little embarassing.)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
The toaster.
The oven.
The fridge.
Ha. That's what I was thinking just yesterday. I've been in my house for 13 years and I'm expecting the appliances to start dieing soon... except for the oven, based on it's usage it should last forever

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
kim said:
Ha. That's what I was thinking just yesterday. I've been in my house for 13 years and I'm expecting the appliances to start dieing soon... except for the oven, based on it's usage it should last forever
Well, I do use it to store off-season sweaters. And bake the (very) occasional pecan pie. But yeah, you're exactly right: my oven is also an immortal appliance. I hope it doesn't start rising after dark and stalking prey.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The $800 camcorder I HAD to have...I was preggers and my hubby was on deployment, I didn't want him to miss the birth of his son, but they sent him home for me and we never used it!

The foot spa I HAD to have...I was preggers and my feet hurt, but then I used it and it was too much hassle to get it out again.

The Kitchen aide stand mixer, with several hundred dollars in extra attachments...I will use this at some point, I just haven't gotten around to it in four years, but it was on sale!

·
Registered
234 Posts
The breadmaker!  They were all the rage a several years ago, and I received it as a gift.  I used for a couple of months, but just couldn't get into the odd shaped bread it made now it's just taking up alot of cabinet space.

·
Registered
679 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
The toaster.
The oven.
The fridge.
The dvd player in the living room. (I have one in my room, and most nights just put on a movie. But I use the one in the living room so infrequently that I've lost the remote, and may never be able to use it again. Which is a little embarassing.)
Okay - how can one not use a frig?

Good luck finding the remote...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Well, I probably shouldn't say I don't use it.  B/c right now it has a fresh mozzerella in it, but everything else is pretty much dead food storage.  I would rather have elective surgery than go to the grocery store, so it's easier than you might think to not use the fridge.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
Well, I probably shouldn't say I don't use it. B/c right now it has a fresh mozzerella in it, but everything else is pretty much dead food storage. I would rather have elective surgery than go to the grocery store, so it's easier than you might think to not use the fridge.
I guess it's a safe bet to say you won't be taking advantage of the free Cook's Illustrated Cookbook that just starting arriving on people's Kindles yesterday? ;D

L

·
Registered
599 Posts
Video camera... It records video onto these mini CDs, which I can't play on anything except the camera itself, so it's pretty impractical. I just use my point-and-shoot digital cam if I want to take a video of something, because at least then I can upload it to my computer.

Portable DVD player... I would always use my laptop as my DVD player when traveling, but I had the portable DVD player hooked up to my TV. Then my brother gave me his PS2, which also plays DVDs, so I don't have much use for the portable DVD player anymore.

Hair straightener... I used it all the time, but when I studied abroad over the summer, I needed to buy a new one that had dual voltage so it could be used in Europe. Now out of habit I don't use the old one anymore. I honestly don't even know where it is, lol.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
My husband just had to buy this really expensive slide in range. He does all of the cooking. We have had it for 3 years and the oven has only been used once and that was by our neighbor when we were out of town for Thanksgiving. ::) It really looks pretty in our kitchen.

I bought an expensive upright floor cleaner that vacumns and cleans our tile floors. It is sitting in the closet taking up room. It is easier to clean the floor with an old fashion broom and mop. I hated filling up the tank and then cleaning the brushes. Actually it was a lot easier hiring the cleaning lady to do the floors. :)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Breadmaker, exercise bike, camcorder - I did make DVDs for the family for our son's first year, but it rarely gets used now...the portable DVD player, until the base unit for the one in the car broke, now its being used there. My Bluetooth headset for my phone - it hurts my ear, but luckily, I rarely get phone calls and make them even less than that. But a new Bluetooth headset is on the way, maybe it'll be more comfortable.

And then there are the ton of toys we had to get for my son who only plays with maybe 1/4 of them.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I use my stuff, particularly the appliances since I like to cook. The one thing I have that I'm happy I've never had to use is my generator. I bought one in case I ever need it because of a hurricane, thankfully we haven't been hit since I got it. If it is keeping the hurricanes away from here, it was worth the price. ;D

robin.goodfellow said:
The toaster.
The oven.
The fridge.
The dvd player in the living room. (I have one in my room, and most nights just put on a movie. But I use the one in the living room so infrequently that I've lost the remote, and may never be able to use it again. Which is a little embarassing.)
Buy a universal remote that will fix that problem. The rest, I'm glad you like take out.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts