Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just over on the Amazon site. The link at the top to join the discussion is gone. Maybe they are upset that there is so much bad-mouthing about the K2 controversy being done on their dime.

·
Registered
731 Posts
K2 has it's own boards now...populated with many, many crazy people who have obviously never purchased any electronic device before the Kindle Klassic.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you look on the left side there is a Kindle Discussion section. Just click on it and it will take you to the discussions. I eill have to look again but I only saw the single discussion group.

·
Registered
615 Posts
First, apologies to those who read both the Amazon forums and this one, as sometimes I write similar posts to both and you will see duplicates.

I posted this in response to people there who quickly assumed the forum for the now old model was being punished because of whiners and complainers, as some put it.

=======
Well, the K1 is no longer "The Kindle," and so the Amazon Kindle link takes us to the page for the new KINDLE, and it's often hard to find the old page for the K1 with the 7,000+ customer reviews of it.

No, it's time for K2.  Support for K1 will be important, but secondary.

And that continuing support will be there mainly because it's a device that keeps us in a continuing relationship with Amazon for one thing of interest to Amazon -- to buy Amazon's books FOR that Kindle. The reason for the K1 to start with.

It's a lot like DigitalTV (satellite) and cable, both of which gives its box owners discounts for the receiving device.  It's the model for cell phones too. The device is less expensive if you become a continuing member with $$ to spend.

So people who think the older discussions are being given less viewing exposure due to complaints are forgetting that it's the Kindle 2 that Amazon wants in central focus now. Both on their main ordering pages and in all their current marketing and in discussions by their customers.

However, they may well have also been influenced by talk in many forums that the old Kindle forum was filled with customers insulting other customers, calling them 'whiners' and 'losers' and 'stupid' -- new customers or those looking for help but viewing this week's boards would not be given a good impression of either Amazon or the friendliness of the boards. The lack of moderation (and the $-ability to provide it) led to people running to other forums for more conversational and less accusatory talk about how they felt about the K1 or K2 (rather than about one another's human characteristics).

I'm very grateful for Harvey for the way he runs these boards.  I think people see one another more as people than attitudes needing correction.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
ScottBooks said:
K2 has it's own boards now...populated with many, many crazy people who have obviously never purchased any electronic device before the Kindle Klassic.
That sounds like fun!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can't find them even using search. So I have asked customer support. ???
Now I read another discussion here and you can find them. Go to Kindle Store on left side and click that. then scroll down to "around the store" and you get a discussion forum.
sigh. that is too much work and a rude change without explaining.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I have said it before and I will say it again... I spent 2 days back in October on the Amazon boards. Came over to KindleBoards on November 1st and never looked back. With KindleBoards available, why would you need that other place?? :)

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
thanks, artandhistory and angela for the kind words about the Kboards.  I too arrived here and see little need to go to Amazon's boards.  Harvey had done a great job!

Betsy

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
lol, Angela, I've always assumed that people went to the Amazon boards b/c they had some bad karma they needed to work off.  I have found them to be such a mean-spirited bunch.  They're spiteful (many of them.  Not all of them, including our own Leslie) in a way that the definition of spiteful leaves you unprepared for.

Kboards is where people go to rack up good karma.  And not call people bizarrely insulting names.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Gotta agree with that, but if there wasn't some cross over I never would have found Kindleboards so I guess there is a little good karma left there.

All hail Harvey!

·
Registered
460 Posts
ScottBooks said:
Excellent, it's always a pleasure getting to read what these type of people write and discuss. Better entertainment than a movie. :)

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I came to KindleBoards after having a very frustrating experience asking questions on the Amazon boards. Luckily, I found this site thanks to Leslie. I'm so glad that I did. Everyone has been friendly and helpful. Thank you Harvey and all of the Mods for such a great job you do. :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
thanks, artandhistory and angela for the kind words about the Kboards. I too arrived here and see little need to go to Amazon's boards. Harvey had done a great job!

Betsy
We land here with great relief! I think we were originally there to help sometimes with newbies and to learn things we didn't know at the same time. But now it's like trying to cross minefields.

Here's a *wonderful* description of the current Amazon forums scene -- written/posted by Kindling Kowby in the form of a dim, distant memory of flaming-ghoulden days gone by.

http://www.amazon.com/Yeah-sonny-I-was-there/forum/FxBVKST06PWP9B/Tx3416K0OLFBAGX/1/ref=cm_cd_ef_tft_tp?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B000FI73MA

·
Registered
615 Posts
Harvey said:
Oh, man. That is brilliant.

That cowpoke needs to mosey on over here.
Someone told him he wanted a text version on his Kindle and it was
worth 99c so I made a simple text version and sent it to Amazon
for conversion (they actually do special formatting for even a .txt
file with some bolding and then also ignoring 3rd line feeds so
that the heading titles are double spaced always instead of 3 spaces).

I know I can just usb-transfer a .txt file to my Kindle but I
liked that part of it was bolded via Amazon conversion.

ANYWAY, I didn't want to spend much time on it and accepted the
Amazon conversion after I fixed the way they offset the heading and
thenI let the requester know where to get it. However, if Kindle Kowboy
is not comfortable with that, I'll take it down.

But, the text by him has, at the bottom, a link to THAT thread.
And it was fun to see how the Kindle 1 handles the forum pages
when using Default (at first) and then Advanced with javascript
with images (crash, after 3 pages) and then with images disabled,
and that worked for more pages.

Fonts can be tiny on screens like that because the Kindle will
observe the full width.

When there are too many webpage images, the Kindle's memory
freaks out.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
That was so funny. Leslie and her Swiss like neutrality....I needed a good laugh first thing this morning.

Rumor has it that Kindling Kowboy is an author but he is keeping mum on anything he has written. I'd love to figure out who he is.

L

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
Isn't there an author here who specializes in Westerns. . . . . . .

Ann

1 - 20 of 31 Posts