Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the Twilight series over the weekend after my boss showed up with the books gushing about them and swearing I would love them, she couldn't put them down, etc.  So I read the four volumes this week.  While I did find them mildly entertaining, I didn't find it great literature, or even something I would recommend to someone more in the target audience.  The ideas were pretty standard: vampires are sexy, vampires and werewolves are enemies, girl who thinks she is plain is really beautiful, girl is a better parent for herself then her own parents.  The age group for the books is "teens" but below what I would consider an appropriate teen reading level, and a little too risque for pre-teens.  Though my opinion may be a bit biased, I never read "teen" books as a teen, I was reading normal adult books. 

So I gave the series 2 out of 5 stars on goodreads.com.  I thought it was okay, but I don't understand why they are such a sensation or have the following they do.

Lara Amber

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I have the first one that was given to me as a thank you present.  I have not heard all that great reviews on it here and have so many other really good books to read it is getting dusty along with my other DTBs.

·
Registered
918 Posts
After a friend raved to me about it, I decided to read the first book. I didn't continue on after that. I guess it was pretty good, but it was too mushy-mushy for me. Also, I'm used to reading paranormal romance that are geared more towards adults (Sherrilyn Kenyon, Christine Feehan, etc.), I think it was just too boring for me.  :-\

·
Registered
32 Posts
(raises hand)...my 17yearold loved it, my 32 yearold sister loved it.

I just...its....I just...it was like High School(and I guess thats the point), but dude is a couple of hundred years old and she, what 16.....pedophile, and she made me want to shake her...a lot.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I enjoyed the series as a light read but I don't think it was all that the hype made it. Yes, there was quite a bit of predictability but there were a few twists to the standard mythos. I "read" the first one through Audible and enjoyed it enough to purchase the others for my Kindle. I don't have these on my top reads but I did find them enjoyable for what they were. So, I didn't LOVE them but I didn't hate them. I am not sure that the 4th book was really necessary and I thought it dragged on.

Just my 2 cents. For the record I thought the movie adaptation was atrocious.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Rhiathame (member 2790) said:
I enjoyed the series as a light read but I don't think it was all that the hype made it. Yes, there was quite a bit of predictability but there were a few twists to the standard mythos. I "read" the first one through Audible and enjoyed it enough to purchase the others for my Kindle. I don't have these on my top reads but I did find them enjoyable for what they were. So, I didn't LOVE them but I didn't hate them. I am not sure that the 4th book was really necessary and I thought it dragged on.
This is pretty much how I felt about them. As they went on I got a bit sick of the 'he's so beautiful and I'm just a klutz, boring, average...etc.' Made me want to infuse some self-esteem in her. I wish I didn't bother with book 4.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I was going to read it, but my daughter told me it was terrible, don't bother. She couldn't even finish it. So I won't buy it, but I may check it out at the library.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I've only made it through the first book. I thought it was good but have yet to get to any of the others (read the first book back in december) just hasn't been an 'Oh my, gotta read them all now' series for me.

But my niece and sister both loved and read them all as quick as they could.

theresam

·
Registered
399 Posts
My wife has the series. I tried it, but couldn't get into it. Not my cup of tea I guess.

Like someone said in the other thread, "It was not written for a (56) year old straight male."  ;)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Meh... my roommate keeps trying to get me to read the series, but it's just so overhyped that it makes me not want to go anywhere near it. (I probably would have felt the same way about Harry Potter if I hadn't read the first one before anyone had heard of it!) I told my roommate that I'd read Twilight when he reads Harry Potter... which means I never have to read Twilight :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with the self esteem thing.  Sad when these girls are reading about a main character who is so down on herself.  Now, that is just the conclusion I drew from the first book because I couldn't entertain the thought of going on!

Stephen King said she couldn't write worth a darn, and I agree.

But, it is keeping a generation reading, just hope parents are telling their girls how beautiful they are while they are reading this series.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I'd hardly call them great literature either, but I enjoyed them - I'd never read them again, though.  My daughters, on the other hand, are crazy about them (they're the ones who got me reading them) and they're in their 20's. 

I think the whole self-esteem thing is why teen girls relate to them, and Bella, so well, because for most teen girls, it IS how they feel about themselves.  Sad but true. 

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
*Stays away from this thread* ;D

Seriously, Twilight threads have a habit of turning nasty on this board. It must be some kind of curse. :p

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
CS said:
*Stays away from this thread* ;D

Seriously, Twilight threads have a habit of turning nasty on this board. It must be some kind of curse. :p
On every forum I frequent this series has come up and discussion usually does elevate. I usually just watch when things get bad.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rhiathame (member 2790) said:
*snip
Just my 2 cents. For the record I thought the movie adaptation was atrocious.
My thoughts Exactly!!! I read the series. I liked it. Can't say it was a fav of mine but I've read worse. Probably wouldn't read it again but I don't think it was as bad as the movie, IMHO.

**ducking the rotten eggs

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I tried to read them, but they just didn't hold my interest. I don't like to read the vampire books, hate the blood sucking. My daughter liked them and she is 36.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
As a series, I liked, not loved it.  It was a fun, light read for me, since I generally enjoy YA books.  I didn't like the ending, though.  Book 4 started out OK (but also not great), but I thought the ending was horrible.  It kept building up, but then it seemed like she didn't know what to do or was on a deadline or something and just wrote anything.  I'd probably give 1&3 4 stars and 2&4 3 stars.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I'm pleased with the level of discourse so far.  A Twilight thread was the first thread I'd ever locked.  ;D

I have the four books on my landing that my daughter-in-law loaned me.  She didn't expect to like them but did.  I haven't been able to bring myself to pick one up after reading on my Kindle....sooooo huge.

Betsy

1 - 20 of 48 Posts