Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know - I know - I should not get stressed about it because the one guy that said the scanner fried his Kindle was flooded with responses from people that have not had any issues.  It was probably just a troll.  ......but did anyone else get a twinge of anxiety?

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
There have always been these anecdotal reports for electronic devices and old-fashioned camera film. I'm not saying they're not true, just that they are usually very isolated experiences. Not all scanners worldwide or within the US are set at the same level, and there could be some that are mis-calibrated and are too high. I liken it to being struck by lightning. It's pretty rare. I've never had it happen to me, knock on wood.

Note that an insurance company was mentioned in another thread;
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,180.msg1515.html#msg1515

Betsy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
As I posted over there, my Kindle has been through security probably a dozen times and so far (knock on wood!) I haven't had any problems. I've taken it out of my bag and put it in the bin with my iPhone and shoes (the computer requires its own bin). Usually it's been in sleep mode. Everything is fine.

There was a flight attendant who posted several months ago, saying she was on her third Kindle because the scanning was destroying them. The threads were similar: her post, followed by dozens from people who haven't had a problem.

There was one woman whose 4 yr old granddaughter dropped her Kindle -- a distance of 2 feet -- and the screen went blank and was unrepairable. Another guy reported that his Kindle flew off the roof of his Jeep at 30 mph and was fine -- not even a scratch. So I guess the moral of the story is, some Kindles are sturdier than others.

L

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well......  I'll be testing it myself for the first time in about 3 weeks...  I'm not worried about it per se but the thought is at the back of my mind that it could happen every once in a while.

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
Kirstin said:
Well...... I'll be testing it myself for the first time in about 3 weeks... I'm not worried about it per se but the thought is at the back of my mind that it could happen every once in a while.
If you're truly concerned, ask that they hand check it.

'Course, this'll slow up your progress through security because besides just turning it on and showing that it works you'll probably have to explain what it is and HOW it works and buy a book just to prove you can. :)

Ann

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
My husband travels on business frequently. I would estimate his Kindle has gone on ~50 flights, through the x-ray every time. So far, so good.

I wonder if there might be a shielding issue with some Kindles, or if some of the x-ray machines may not be calibrated correctly.....

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I've had mine through security >25 times and haven't had any problems.  I do turn it off before I put through and I leave it in my backpack.  The only problem I had was on Maui where the x-ray guy made me take it  out and send it thorugh in a separate bin because he thought it was a computer.  They said he was new.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Like most everyone else, I have traveled through security without any issue, though maybe only a dozen times or so.  I don't recall exactly, but my Kindle was probably on "sleep" during most of the scans.

I think this thread really sums up my thoughts on the subject -- a security/x-ray mishap could happen, not too likely, nothing I can do to avoid the possibility, and if my Kindle is damaged, there is a good chance it will be replaced by Amazon, either for free (if we believe the Amazon poster) or half-price.

So I'm not canceling any travel plans, and not losing any sleep either.  If I do have an issue, I'll deal with it when it happens.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I would think that Amazon would replace your Kindle in this situation, since it is really an innate problem and you
did nothing negligible?

When I use to shoot film (I am a photographer) I use to always insist on hand checking my film.
Sometimes they would try and tell me it "should be fine" if it was under a certain Speed but I told them I had too much at
stake to take any chances. When they would see how much I had they always did it...

So I would think you could ask for a hand check, though I will probably just turn mine off and leave it in my carry on.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Didn't have any problems with mine going to Vegas. It was in my bag and turned off...though I did see the TSA scan my bag slowly versus it coming right out...

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Leslie said:
...There was a flight attendant who posted several months ago, saying she was on her third Kindle because the scanning was destroying them. The threads were similar: her post, followed by dozens from people who haven't had a problem....

L
Note that, even for frequent flyers, the exposure to the scanners is much less than that of a typical flight attendant. It could be a cumulative things. Only time will tell.

Betsy

·
Registered
874 Posts
chynared21 said:
Didn't have any problems with mine going to Vegas. It was in my bag and turned off...though I did see the TSA scan my bag slowly versus it coming right out...
Ha! Mine too! Not only did it go really slowly, but it went back and forth a few times with a group of TSA men pointing and whispering amongst themsevles. In the end I went on my way...no harm, no foul. :)

Tris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts