Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fans of the show Star Trek: The Next Generation might remember many scenes where a character would come into Captain Picard's ready room and he would be reading from a device that looked remarkably like a Kindle in size and shape. Wouldn't it be great if Amazon produced a commercial that showed a close up of such a scene with "Amazon Kindle" at the top of the device?

Lots of fun with this one. Tag lines while the music is playing like: "It's continuing mission to become the best ereader . . . to boldly go where no ereader has gone before!" (and faster theme music plays). I've read some creative and funny responses in your posts, so what sort of commercial would everyone like to see?

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Those were officially called PADDs in Star Trek lingo, and I don't think they ever showed a screen, so we don't know if it was color or b&w or 3D or what. Jake Sisko actually wrote stories on one, but no keyboard was ever shown.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
There are many Kindle owners who will 'fess up that one of the reasons they bought their Kindle was for the Star Trek image.

"Make it so..."

·
6,032 Posts
Ironically, although Captain Picard and the others were often seen using PADDs of various shapes and sizes in the course of their work, when Picard was seen relaxing he was almost always reading and it was always a 'real' hardback book.

·
Registered
20,440 Posts
NapCat said:
There are many Kindle owners who will 'fess up that one of the reasons they bought their Kindle was for the Star Trek image.

"Make it so..."
I didn't buy it for the Star Trek image, but I did buy it because some of the Star Trek books I wanted were no longer available in print but were available for kindle.

·
Super Moderator
67,555 Posts
Linjeakel said:
Ironically, although Captain Picard and the others were often seen using PADDs of various shapes and sizes in the course of their work, when Picard was seen relaxing he was almost always reading and it was always a 'real' hardback book.
Yes! And I seem to recall that he had some first editions of Dickens and what not -- which, considering it's set in the 24th century, that's pretty good.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I wonder if Amazon designed the Kindle so it would resemble the PADDs in Star Trek? That's not why I ultimately bought my Kindle, but I have been reading Star Trek novels as e-books. (I think my favorite one is Star Trek: Enterprise: Kobayashi Maru. Each character describes how they confront their final exam at Star Fleet academy...)

And I also still fondly remember the episode where Captain Picard flew Wesley in a shuttlecraft to Wesley's final exam at the Starfleet Academy. Picard was reading 19th century philosopher William James.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: There's no greater challenge than the study of philosophy.
Wesley Crusher: But William James won't be on my Starfleet exams.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard: The important things never will be. Anyone can be trained in the mechanics of piloting a starship.
Wesley Crusher: And Starfleet Academy...
Captain Jean-Luc Picard: Takes more. Open your mind to the past - art, history, philosophy. And all this may mean something.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chad, thanks for posting those wonderful posters!

Yes, from PADDS to communicators, there is a lot of the Star Trek universe showing up in reality these days. I even read a recent news story about a naval long-distance laser that melted a target boat. Hopefully, the global peace will come with the technology as well.

I do remember all the hard backs Picard read, and that is an excellent point. It was nice to see a character who had a sound historical perspective, even though he was surrounded by so much technology. I remember him remarking about the end of the Roman empire and whether the contemporaries knew it was about to fall (just before the Enterprise was about to engage the Borg). His character loved history and archaeology. One of the neatest things about the Kindle is that it is making history now, and we all get to live it rather than just study it years later. It's like being alive when the printing press came out.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Although the advisability of keeping first edition Dickens and other valuable books on a ship perpetually on the brink of getting blown up every week is questionable. With a Kindle/PAAD, after the ship gets blown, he can just get a new one, redownload his books and pick up right where he left off.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Yes! And I seem to recall that he had some first editions of Dickens and what not -- which, considering it's set in the 24th century, that's pretty good.
He also enjoyed 20th century Raymond Chandler-type detective stories, there was an episode that was at least partially set in the Holodeck with Picard playing as hard-boiled detective Dixon Hill. (I had to google it to remember the character name - DH is the Trekkie around here, I'm along for the ride...)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I remember when the Deep Space 9 Irish engineer, Miles O'Brien (played by Colm Meaney) read to his daughter on an e-reader.  I also remember thinking, "There is no way something like that will replace a REAL book".  Little did I know how wrong I would be.  :-[  :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Of course, Picard read using a Kindle! And used a computer, cell phone, cat scan, and tablet.

Funny, how fast we caught up to the 23rd and 24th centuries!  ;D

·
Registered
579 Posts
Tripp said:
I remember when the Deep Space 9 Irish engineer, Miles O'Brien (played by Colm Meaney) read to his daughter on an e-reader. I also remember thinking, "There is no way something like that will replace a REAL book". Little did I know how wrong I would be. :-[ :)
I agree! And I never thought I would want to read anything that wasn't a book. It's just comfort zone, I guess. Now I love reading novels on my Kindle. However...I do have to say that if I want a full-color, coffee-table type book, I still want that in my hand. Maybe that will change for me one day, too.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
With a Kindle/PAAD, after the ship gets blown, he can just get a new one, re-download his books and pick up right where he left off.
I just hope that by the 24th century, they've found a way to automatically download the captain's e-book collection into his new device. Otherwise he'll be looking at the same frustrating experience that I had when I bought a new Kindle.

Captain Picard: Data, what does this mean?
Data (reading): "Invalid Item. Please remove the item from your device and go to Archived Items to download it again."
Captain Picard: I tried to open A Tale of Two Cities, but my new PADD is telling me I'll have to perform another download again. Are you telling me I have to separately delete each e-book, and then re-install each one individually?
Data: How many e-books do you have, sir?
Captain Picard: 2,497...
Data: At that rate, it will take you approximately 38 hours and 37 minutes to completely re-install your collection of e-books.
Captain Picard: Forget it. I'll just go play Angry Birds.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.