Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I was on the flight home from Chicago, I had Ladybug out and i was reading. A passenger sat down hit me on my knee and said "Oh you have one of those! How do you get books? It is easy to read?  Can I hold it?"

First, I have bad knees and it was raining in Chicago so my knees were quite achy.  :mad:
Second, she did not know me so why hit me.  :eek:
Third, she got no demo of all the wonderful things that the K2 does.  :(

When I called my daughter to let her know I made it home safley and told her about the experience, she said I over reacted. That the lady was probably excited to see a kindle in person.

I did demo Ladybug on our bus ride to Malaysia ~ I think the lady from New Zealand is going to buy one if she can figure out how to mail it to a US address.  ;D ;D

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Well how hard did she hit you?  Friendly pat to get your attention or balled fist with some momentum behind it?  Granted someone invading your personal space can be annoying enough.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Based on your description of the events, I would say it was an overreaction.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
You were tired after your long trip and super sensitive, but I do agree you probably did overreact, but I forgive you, whether Jeff Bezos will or not is another question.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
I think her questions were ok, taken by themselves.

But the knee hitting... is there any way it could have been meant as a gentle tap to get your attention? Though still annoying, that might be excusable.

If she kinda slapped you on the knee jovially (as in, hey old buddy!), I think you did the right thing. I would have glared at her too.

Spreading the word about Kindles is a good thing, and if/when people ask about mine I'd be happy to tell them... but not if they're rude about it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
ladyknight33 said:
Okay I was on the flight home from Chicago, I had Ladybug out and i was reading. A passenger sat down hit me on my knee and said "Oh you have one of those! How do you get books? It is easy to read? Can I hold it?"

First, I have bad knees and it was raining in Chicago so my knees were quite achy. :mad:
Second, she did not know me so why hit me. :eek:
Third, she got no demo of all the wonderful things that the K2 does. :(

When I called my daughter to let her know I made it home safley and told her about the experience, she said I over reacted. That the lady was probably excited to see a kindle in person.

I did demo Ladybug on our bus ride to Malaysia ~ I think the lady from New Zealand is going to buy one if she can figure out how to mail it to a US address. ;D ;D
I'd say it was a slight overreaction in the midwest -- on the east coast, especially New England, it could probably go either way.

The other person didn't conduct herself well, but probably didn't intend rudeness or harm.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Everybody has different levels of touchy-feeliness, different definitions of personal space, and some people are outgoing to the extent that others find them obnoxious.  It's hard to remember all that when somebody is invading your special Ladybug time.  

I certainly don't blame you for your reaction.  But, even though this lady was rather inappropriate, she didn't mean anything by it and she doesn't know she's annoying.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I doubt she meant anything by it either. What I want to know is what did you do for the rest of your trip since you put the kindle away?

Melissa

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Yes, definite overreaction. Must've been an awkward flight for all parties concerned. And no Kindle to get you through it? Ouch.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm torn on whether or not you overreacted. On the one hand, my mother has knee problems and I can def see he reacting badly if someone hit her knee and I personally hate to be touched by stranger(or anybody really) and would also have probably gotten snippy. On the other it probably wasn't that big of deal. But at the end of the day, it's about your comfort level and if she made uncomfortable then you have a right to express that. You may have overreacted but as long as you didn't brain with your kindle or otherwise physically harm her, I'd say your okay. Although I like meljackson wonder what you did after you put your kindle away?

·
Registered
545 Posts
GeorgeGlass said:
I'd say it was a slight overreaction in the midwest -- on the east coast, especially New England, it could probably go either way.
In New York, I think the OP would be considered extremely restrained. ;) Seriously, I can't imagine anyone boarding at JFK and TOUCHING another person! LOL That's what I call living dangerously.

EllenR (native New Yorker)

·
Registered
460 Posts
It's unfortunate that she bumped you, but I have a feeling she was probably just really excited to see a Kindle in person.

·
Registered
64 Posts
To me, the "hit" was a bit overboard. 

This post makes me feel guilty.  It seems when I go out with my Kindle, I am always asked about it to the point that sometimes I don't want to read because I don't feel like the attention it attracts.  To be honest, if I am reading, I am not in chatting mode.  The other day I had an appointment at the doctor's and I sat in a back corner, pulled out my Kindle and got lost in my story.  Then I hear it, "Is that that reading thing?"  I actually kept looking down hoping the person would leave.  I just said "yes it is" and looked straight down at my Kindle.  I felt really bad afterwards but I didn't want to chat and go through the whole "sales pitch" again.  At some point, I feel like I am a walking advertisement!  I have never ignored anyone like that but does anyone else get tired of the attraction and just want to left to read?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Diana said:
I have never ignored anyone like that but does anyone else get tired of the attraction and just want to left to read?
All the time. :) I'm starting to think I'm best off wearing my iphone headset (turned off) while reading so they're more likely to leave me alone--the couple of times I've happened to have it on while reading, no one's bothered me.

As far as the OP is concerned, it's all situational. Obviously you were uncomfortable with this lady's behavior--yes, she was out of line, but I tend to agree that she was just excited. Some people plain & simple are just insensitive, and she's probably one of them. If she actually hurt you, it's not really not rude to yelp, "Ouch! I'm sorry, I have bad knees and that really hurt. Yes, this is a Kindle, Amazon's website for it is really quite thorough, I'm sure you'll find the answers to any questions you have there. Unfortunately I have some reading I need to get finished before I get home." Then bury your nose back in the book & ignore her. Frankly, that should be more than sufficient to bring on a good guilt trip in most people, but if it isn't, being blunt back is probably the next course of action.

No way in heck would I put away the Kindle; it's my reading time & I'm not going to let someone else interfere. So far, the headset trick seems the best completely non-confrontational way to handle it.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
kim said:
Everybody has different levels of touchy-feeliness, different definitions of personal space, and some people are outgoing to the extent that others find them obnoxious. It's hard to remember all that when somebody is invading your special Ladybug time.

I certainly don't blame you for your reaction. But, even though this lady was rather inappropriate, she didn't mean anything by it and she doesn't know she's annoying.
Yep.

Personally, I don't like to be touched, so my automatic reaction might have also been to have packed it up, but touchy-feelies don't really get how the other half lives, and vice versa.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I say underreaction, strangers shouldn't wack when first meeting other's. Anyway, reading is a privacy thing, i hate people bugging me when i'm reading.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Since the other party was on an airplane which is a very confined space im sure they just did the "hit" as a like  'hi get your attention' type of move. You were probably over reacting because of fatigue etc. It happens!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts