Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the beginning of September I set a Kindle countdown promotion for my book Predatory Animals. I paid for three separate ads. None of the expensive ones. Just a few of the smaller players. I also did an all out twitter assault and facebook self-promos. I kept the price at $0.99 for the whole promotion and sold around 200 copies.

I set up another countdown for Guarding the Healer to run from October 1st through the 8th. I did all the same things except for taking out the three paid ads. Everything else is the same. This time around I haven't sold one copy. Not. One. Copy.

Did those three ads really make all that difference or is it that this book is less appealing than my other one. Here is a link to Guarding the Healer. Does anything jump out at you? What did I do wrong?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005342GQY

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
The whole process can be very discouraging at times. I'm dealing with the same issue right now with what I consider to be, by far, my best book to date, and I'm still trying to gain some traction with it.

But overall I'm extremely encouraged that anyone who IS interested is able to get it at a reasonable price. After having a book, traditionally published, be out of print and unavailable for six years, just having my work available is an enormously rewarding situation.

Now it's up to me to make my work discoverable. It's a daunting challenge, but we have a good number of ways to answer that challenge. At least it's up to ME and not to some intern at a publishing house to do what needs to be done!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I paid for ads with BookEnds and Kindle Books & Tips. I submitted to POI, but I don't think they posted my book. I'm just wondering if it was the ads that made the difference or if there is something wrong with Guarding the Healer, like the cover or description, or maybe even the subject matter.

I know I could drive myself crazy with this. Chalk it up to my neurotic nature.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I have found that I usually get some sales from a KB&T ad. They are one of the few smaller advertisers I use or suggest using. 200 is probably more than I usually get but they really don't reach my target audience too well. (Not many advertisers do except the obvious one).  I'm not acquainted with BookEnds so with that one I can't help you, but from my own experience, I would say it is possible that the ads gave you at least most of those sales.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I suspect it was the ads, too. I think a countdown by itself does very little. How would readers know it's on sale?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Andie said:
I suspect it was the ads, too. I think a countdown by itself does very little. How would readers know it's on sale?
The only way they would know is if readers have your book on alert through tracker at Kindle nation daily where they track your book's pricing. When I did my countdown deal, I had no ads lined up until the day after it started, to make sure that it was really on sale and there were no foul-ups with Amazon. I got a number of downloads as soon as that 99 cent price posted. Same thing with my permafree--as soon as that free price posted, I got a number of downloads before I ran any ads.
That being said, there's no real substitute for a good promo!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Gabriel Beyers said:
I'm just wondering if it was the ads that made the difference or if there is something wrong with Guarding the Healer, like the cover or description, or maybe even the subject matter.
Cover is cool. Description pulled me in. You got at least one sale :) Must be the ads.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Gabriel, Just writing as a reader, I'm a little confused as to what genre your books are in. Your covers don't tell me.

Is it just that it's clearly a genre (whatever it is!) that I'm unlikely to read. I mainly read mysteries and historicals.

Somebody tell me if I'm wrong on this. God knows, I'm no expert on covers.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CherieMarks said:
Cover is cool. Description pulled me in. You got at least one sale :) Must be the ads.
Thanks. I appreciate that.

hardnutt said:
Gabriel, Just writing as a reader, I'm a little confused as to what genre your books are in. Your covers don't tell me.

Is it just that it's clearly a genre (whatever it is!) that I'm unlikely to read. I mainly read mysteries and historicals.

Somebody tell me if I'm wrong on this. God knows, I'm no expert on covers.
My books are mostly paranormal thrillers with leanings toward horror. Guarding the Healer is about angels and demons. Predatory Animals is about a deadly monster and a trio of unique dogs. And Heart of the Dead is about ghosts, vampires and zombie(ish) creatures.

I do need to make a correction. It was BookSends not BookEnds that I bought an ad from.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Booksends + KBT could definitely help you move 200 copies. Great results, congrats! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts