Votes: 43 16.0%
  • Much, Much Worse

Votes: 74 27.5%
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that KU2 payouts have been announced at $.005779 per page read, are you better or worse off?

And if so, why do you think?

Don't forget to mention what type of books you primarily write: short serials, children's, non-fiction, full-length novels, etc...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Way, way worse but I'm OK with that.

Mine are extremely short reference pieces and I knew that the previous payout was tilted very unfairly in my favor. I'm glad that novel writers are getting an improved payout because I am also an avid reader and KU subscriber; I want to see more books available from great authors.

I never considered pulling my short reference works from KU. I believe that all those borrows boost the ratings and make my booklets more visible to everybody, including the non-subscribers who purchase them, which is now the main source of income. I don't even look at the borrows any more.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
My book in KU is a 29k novella. About 30% less on KU, so overall about 15% lower overall. It is only a novella. I don't have a problem with that. My next book is a novel, should be 60k and if it follows a similar trajectory, KU2 will be a winner for me on that book by about 20%.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I only got in the last week of July, but since I put my lowest selling books in Select, I'm definitely doing better. Basically, I'm using KU2 to revive my older books. Those that are still selling wide will stay wide.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Sara Evans said:
Now that KU2 payouts have been announced at $.005779 per page read, are you better or worse off?

And if so, why do you think?

Don't forget to mention what type of books you primarily write: short serials, children's, non-fiction, full-length novels, etc...
Wasn't expecting it till Monday, and I am having a problem with the maths, but price wise I think it is about the same.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Lydniz said:
Way, way better, but that's because I joined Select for the first time last month. ;D
I've been with select most of the way through. I am still puzzled as to how to work it out, but I'll take others' word for it.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Doglover said:
I've been with select most of the way through. I am still puzzled as to how to work it out, but I'll take others' word for it.
Multiply total pages read by 0.005779 to get the dollar figure, yes?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Compared to what I used to get paid for borrows, I'm getting about the same for pages read in KU2. I write non-fiction and my books are priced at $2.99 and $3.99. But one important point is that I'm talking relatively low numbers. I sell a lot more than were ever borrowed / paid on a per-page basis. For July my KU2 income was 1/7 of the total income (while in June it was 1/5 of total income).

Clare

·
Registered
249 Posts
Multiply total pages read by 0.005779 to get the dollar figure, yes?
Even easier - go to the prior months royalties in your reports and scroll to the right to see what they paid you!

Clare

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I estimate KU2 cost me about $75 last month versus what I would've earned in KU1.  This month it'll be much worse.  Most of what I have in KU is short romance.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I did about the same. Switched hard to novels as soon as the announcement hit in June. With a boatload of effort, I made roughly the same kind of money I've been averaging (around the 30k mark). I thought KU 2.0 would spell disaster for me, and it did spell disaster for almost my entire back catalog, but at the end of the day hard work and determination (and maximizing the pay-plan) won the battle and kept me afloat. If things stay similar with the per-page rate going forward, I'll go UP in August.

·
Registered
214 Posts
A lot worse.  Between my pen names I have a novel, short stories, and novellas.  The most I got for one short story is $0.15 per read.  I had to put my novel in to try and make more (I wish I had put it in before).  My sales now are about 20% of what I had before. 

1 - 20 of 116 Posts