Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
It looks like a fab idea, and they are grouping/theming collections. I was thrilled to see my book cover there, until I noticed the heading "You viewed", which presumably means it's not actually on the general page and other people don't see it, but see what "they viewed" (LOL).  Would we have to add an "indie" tag somewhere in our book metadata? I'm a bit confused about that.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Not sure about this.
My first thoughts were:
Lissie said:
Hmm so long as it doesn't turn into a ghetto as the ONLY place we can add our books
Then I thought I'd check it out. So I clicked on the link, then on the 'teen' link at the side. It showed me 7 books with no scrolling bar or way to search for others except a link that says see more in the Kindle Indie Store. Clicking on that takes you back to the first page.

There are 25 books in the other categories, but I can't see an advantage to any authors who aren't one of the privileged.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Yeah, does this mean we're no longer visible alongside the "real" books? Can't say the thought of blatant segregation fills me with joy. Like does anyone actually search specifically for indie books?

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Have to say, this was my first thought...very few readers search this way.  I certainly don't.  (But then, I rarely search...I usually go to Amazon knowing the book I want.)

Betsy

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I don't know. When I tried to find the Indie section without going through the link here, I couldn't even find it. So I'm not sure it will make a difference either way. All the lists I could find had both trad and indie books on them, so I don't think they are segregating anything.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Interesting...

"Welcome to the Kindle Indie Bookstore. "Indie" is hard to define, but anything cool, creative, and different is "indie." The Kindle Indie Bookstore is a unique experience in the literary world, a place to discover the next great authors and their books."

No part of their definition actually has anything to do with being an indy. :)

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Ever the cynical sourpuss, I have a bad feeling about that.

How does Amazon know you're an indie, anyway? I have listed my company as the publisher on some of my books, to see if it makes a difference NOT to look like an indie when people look at the book page.

I do see Wool listed on the sci-fi page - I can't imagine that they'd shift him over there.  The sci-fi page has one page of titles before you have to go to the "Kindle Indie Store" for more. wth? That's just bad news, because that link is miniscule.

Then following that they list only top sellers and, for some reason Mystery & Thrillers, and LIterary.  I see no way to find titles in other categories.
I am really worried at this point.

·
Super Moderator
67,556 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Have to say, this was my first thought...very few readers search this way. I certainly don't. (But then, I rarely search...I usually go to Amazon knowing the book I want.)

Betsy
^^This.

When I do search it's by genre, not by what publisher puts the book out. I don't care about that at all. I will occasionally search on author name, but usually know exactly what book I want. . . . more often than not it's been recommended here (or sometimes elsewhere) and I'm linking directly to it anyway.

·
Registered
261 Posts
How did you find that category? I couldn't find it when I went to AMazon.com - although I'm only on my first cup of coffee.

If this is going to end up being where all indie writers are featured - a separate category for self-published - then I think we're in deep trouble. I think the vast majority of readers wouldn't bother looking in the indie section. This is my livelihood - I'm honestly very worried.

If it's just a way to promote successful indies - looking over the titles, I see a lot of huge sellers and well known names - then bravo!  God, I hope that's what it is. I was getting used to earning a living wage.

1 - 20 of 205 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.