Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished this. Am I the only one who couldn't get into this book at all? It was a good thing it was so short, I don't think I could have kept going much longer lol.

Melissa

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Didn't read it; now, maybe I won't.  Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I read The Reader years ago but I thought it was a great book.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.  I know most people loved Angels and Demons (Dan Brown) but  I couldn't get past the first few chapters.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sjc said:
Didn't read it; now, maybe I won't. Thanks for the tip.
There are a lot of great reviews on amazon so you might like it. It could have just been me. I wouldn't want to make you miss a book you might love!

Melissa

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I didn't like it the first time I read it years ago; oddly, after seeing the movie I picked it up again and really liked it...and it's quite different from the movie. Go figure.

·
Registered
6,214 Posts
meljackson said:
Just finished this. Am I the only one who couldn't get into this book at all? It was a good thing it was so short, I don't think I could have kept going much longer lol.

Melissa
I haven't seen the movie or read the book, but have heard of it. Who was the author? (Always good to have this info when discussing a book.)

Thanks.

Marti

·
Registered
6,214 Posts
I just looked it up...Bernhard Schlink is the author.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I liked the first half of the book. The last half seemed sort of rushed and incomplete to me. It has been about a year and a half since I read the book, and the characters are still vivid to me. That is one of the qualities I hope to find in a book. So even though I didn't like the end of the book, it was still a decent read.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
My recollection is it was originally written in German by Bernhard Schlink  and then translated into English which may be why some didn't like the way it was written. 

1 - 9 of 9 Posts