Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
???  Didn't I read somewhere that Whispernet coverage would be coming to countries (other than the U.S.) this year.  My recollection is that one or two countries were going to come online this year (I think I heard England and ....?) and more countries would be added over time.  Anyone else remember where I might have read this info?  Or was I just dreaming?  :-\

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I  have not heard anything official about expansion of coverage for the Kindle.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
jseidel5263 said:
??? Didn't I read somewhere that Whispernet coverage would be coming to countries (other than the U.S.) this year. My recollection is that one or two countries were going to come online this year (I think I heard England and ....?) and more countries would be added over time. Anyone else remember where I might have read this info? Or was I just dreaming? :-\
At the time of the Frankfurt Book Fair (Oct 2008) there was a press release saying that Whispernet in Europe would be delayed until 2009. They had hoped to debut the international Kindle at the book fair but apparently were not able to secure all the wireless agreements in time. I haven't heard anything since.

L

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Actually - I don't want international whispernet - too easy to one click!  Bad enough as it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Sprint network used by the Kindles are CDMA; cell networks in the rest of the world use GSM (with a few exceptions). For the Whispernet to work in Europe, the physical parts inside the Kindle would have to be changed. I wouldn't expect to have global Whispernet until the Kindle 3.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts