Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been ORDERED by my MD to loose weight.  Do any of you know if there is a Kindle book available that list the nutritional values (calories, fat content, salt, etc.).  I supposed to start keeping track of all that stuff.

JR

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
No I don't know of one, but I want to wish you the best of luck!  My DH is also on a very serious strict diet and I get to keep track of what he is eating  ;)

·
Registered
428 Posts
There is a series of books out "eat this not that", "buy this not that", etc..  They compare foods at restaurants, and the grocery store giving the nutritional values and stuff.  That might be handy on Kindle.  When they wanted my son to loose weight, I found one of the easier things was to just stay away from anything processed, and really look at portion size. (easier said than done)  You wouldn't believe the sodium content alone in processed foods.  It didn't work for him, tell a sixteen year old boy "no junkfood, and only 1/4 of what you normally eat" Yea, right.  I make sure whats in the house is appropriate, but only he can control how much he shoves into his mouth.

·
Registered
94 Posts
While prowling the internet for a diet I could live with, I found The Glycemic (sp?) Index. It proved to be the best for me. It also gives calories, sodium content, fat content, etc. for almost any kind of food you can imagine. I printed it out and carried with me. I'm sure you can find it if you Google it or use one of the other rsearch engines. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Rather than suffering through a diet that's very restrictive, you might look at the Mediterranean Diet  --  not really a diet in the weight-loss sense, but in the sense of an overall healthy and sustainable diet.  Lots of veggies, lean meat and fish, fruit, no processed junk.  It's something that allows you variety and pleasant taste experiences (unlike, say, plain rice cakes), and it's something you can maintain forever.

(I just know somebody here really loves rice cakes, and is going to jump on that.)

To get a quick start on that, and shed some pounds so your doctor's happy, you could also try the South Beach diet.  There are cookbooks available, and the general idea is much like the Mediterranean except that it is a bit more restrictive  --  no refined carbs  --  and there are several levels, an initial lose-weight-fast level which you're not supposed to maintain for more than a few weeks, and then a maintenance level which allows you more foods.

Good luck!

·
Registered
205 Posts
the best book i found for me when I was starting to lose weight (yay, 60 pounds down!) was The Portion Teller. Very good book, simple, easy to understand and was very helpful in trying to put all the info out there together. Especially since a lot of packaging is REALLY deceptive e.g. bread companies trying to sound like they have all whole wheat when they really don't, stuff marketed as one serving but the nutritional panel says two servings so they can cut the numbers in half. It's $9.99 for the Kindle Edition on amazon. The great thing about this book is that it's helpful even when you don't have nutritional labels (like when you go out for dinner).

The Portion Teller: Smartsize Your Way to Permanent Weight Loss

Also I highly recommend Muscle & Fitness Hers magazine which has GREAT workouts and nutrition advice and hardly any fluff like makeup crap.
http://www.muscleandfitnesshers.com/features/19

Basically, what I found that worked for me after being really overweight my entire life:
1. Dont go too low in calories or your metabolism will tank and nothing will happen except you'll be hungry
2. Always. Read. The. Label!
3. Make the calories you do consume be from lean proteins, non-starchy veggies, a little fruit, and try to make those carbs whole grain 75% of the time.
4. Don't eat 3 meals a day - eat 6 or 8! Make sure each has protein, fiber, a little fat, and carbs (no carbs at bedtime). Bonus - you won't be hungry!
5. Diet alone will not work. You gotta do 50% weight lifting and 50% cardio if you want to lose weight and be healthier.
6. Exercise every day. Really. Make it part of your daily schedule and it's easier to do. Plus, daily workouts can be shorter workouts.

I'm never hungry and I feel so good! I'm full of energy, I don't get sick as much, and I even have less acne.

Good luck, You can do it!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I have an aunt that just lost 75 pounds on Weight Watchers. I have been thinking about doing that myself. She has been raving about the diet and said she didn't feel restricted all that much. It is probably the most respected diets out there and the easiest to adapt as a lifelong eating plan.

With Weight Watchers you can go to meetings or do it online. http://www.weightwatchers.com/Index.aspx I think it's $5 a week online...billed 3 months at a time or $12 a week if you go to local meetings.

Not Kindle books but there is a lady on Ebay that is selling the Weight Watchers books. She has several different book groupings to choose from.
This is the Deluxe set of books and the one I'm thinking about getting... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110384074736
She also offers online support.

I think I will probably join online to learn the program and buy the books from Ebay. I've also ordered a Wii Fit.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I found a few Kindle books on calorie content etc. Can't say how good they are (or not)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
JCBeam said:
Try Jillian Michaels as well, very good nutritional info as well as exercise.
Jillian has an exercise program out for the Wii Fit. My Sister-in-law told me it kicks her butt and she's not that far out of shape.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ive only heard bad things about Jillians wii game, but I do know that there are many wii games that workout well, and are still fun.  This morning  "Golds Gym Cardio Workout" had me sweating my butt off, and I HATE working out.  But I have this Beer addiction......

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
sebat said:
I have an aunt that just lost 75 pounds on Weight Watchers. I have been thinking about doing that myself. She has been raving about the diet and said she didn't feel restricted all that much. It is probably the most respected diets out there and the easiest to adapt as a lifelong eating plan.

With Weight Watchers you can go to meetings or do it online. http://www.weightwatchers.com/Index.aspx I think it's $5 a week online...billed 3 months at a time or $12 a week if you go to local meetings.

Not Kindle books but there is a lady on Ebay that is selling the Weight Watchers books. She has several different book groupings to choose from.
This is the Deluxe set of books and the one I'm thinking about getting... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110384074736
She also offers online support.

I think I will probably join online to learn the program and buy the books from Ebay. I've also ordered a Wii Fit.
sebat, I have been thinking about doing WW online as well. I tried it once before when I couldn't find local classes to go to and I think I would do much better if I had someone to be accountable to. If you are interested in having an accountability partner let me know. I also just got a Wii Fit last weekend.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I've been reading this book:

I'm only about 25% into it, and haven't even got to the Here's What You Do part, but it rocks. She takes very complicated things (how the endocrine system works in relation to your metabolism and weight) and makes sense of it. Granted, I have endocrine issues and figured this would be important for me, plus I have a total girl-crush on Jillian and may not be 100% objective, but I think it's worth the $10 for the Kindle version...and when it comes out in paperback, I'll probably pick up a print copy.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Angela said:
sebat, I have been thinking about doing WW online as well. I tried it once before when I couldn't find local classes to go to and I think I would do much better if I had someone to be accountable to. If you are interested in having an accountability partner let me know. I also just got a Wii Fit last weekend.
Angela, I'm sending you a pm.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts