Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you ready? We're good as we have cable but we did purchase one of the converter boxes just in case. . . .we can hook it up to the TV if cable goes out. Or we may give it away to someone who needs it.

How about the rest of you?

http://www.dtvtransition.org/

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I had to order two boxes for my dad.... Like anything else, the boxes are NOT created equal, you might want to do some research before buying... Based on my research, this is the box I purchased for him:

Channel Master CM-7000 Digital to Analog TV Converter Box

It appears to be out of stock right now.... He lives in a rural part of Wisconsin, and all of his channels have already converted.... He tells me that with this box, he got all of his local channels back, as well as a few he had not received before....

I got the coupons from the government program.... One I was able to use on Amazon, the other - for some reason - kept getting rejected when I tried to order the box. I verified with the agency that issues the coupon that it was still good (they told me Amazon seems to be having trouble with their verification process), and then I contacted Amazon, and they refunded me $40 on the second purchase.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I went HDTV for my main TV two years ago, so n problem there. My computer room TV is analog, but it gets driven from the satellite DVRs, so no problem there either. I need to recycle a portable TV I've had for 20 years (that hasn't been turned on in 15 years), though.

Mike

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have satellite TV and I'm thankful I don't have to deal with this.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Cable tv here so I am good to go.
Antennas really don't work well here as we are "in a low" as the locals like to say lol

·
Registered
534 Posts
I watch tv on my laptop.  We moved the tv out of the living room and into the office and haven't used it since.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
We went with a digital TV several years ago and had an HD flat screen installed when we built our house last year and are on satelite.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
So glad this thread reminded me!!  I had contacted a local radio station which was giving out those coupons, and as I recall, a coupon arrived some time ago but I never went out to buy a converter.  Guess I should do it before they stop selling them.  Now where did I put that coupon....  ???

(Only one TV in my house, a 13" portable with rabbit ears.  Don't have cable.  Only used the TV once this year so far, so it totally slipped my mind.)

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
All of our tv's were good to go, but my grandparents had to add a converter. I'm not sure which one they used.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
I'm not sure if this is true everywhere but we get several additional stations over the air with the converter box. As I mentioned, the picture is surprisingly clear. I frankly don't see much difference between our digital TVs and the converted analogs. Setting it up wasn't a hassle either. It discovered the code for the analog remote in no time. I was pretty impressed.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Susan in VA said:
a coupon arrived some time ago but I never went out to buy a converter.
FYI.... They have an expiration date on them.... They only last about 3-4 months.

If anyone needs a coupon, you had best apply now... Once the transition occurs later this month, it could take forever to get one again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts