Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apocalyptic, end of world etc is one of my favorite genres and I am sorely lacking of any on my kindle. I don't mind if its Christian based as long as its more plot than preachy.

I've read The Stand (of course), Swan Song (DTB), The Christ Clone series,Servants of the Twilight(DTB) The Road, Childhood's End and of course The Left Behind series.

I don't care if its viral, biblical or nuclear I just really like the whole civilization trying to survive plot.

Oh and it doesn't matter if it has a happy or tragic ending.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
chobitz said:
I don't mind if its Christian based as long as its more plot than preachy.
But you liked the Left Behind series anyway? :p

I don't really know any others aside from what you already named, but I'm hoping this thread gets some responses. I like this genre too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm pretty sure these are not available in ebook form and probably won't be for some time, but they have stuck in my mind for 45 years or so! - all the books by John Christopher. Most of his plots are about global disasters and how people cope (or fail to cope) with the aftermath.

These include:
No Blade of Grass, in which grass and every plant biologically related to grass is destroyed by a new disease

A Wrinkle in the Skin, in which global earthquakes cause a massive restructure of the earth's surface (land and seas changing places, etc.)

The Long Winter, in which the Earth experiences a new Ice Age

And many more. I got them in my local library when I was a young teenager, but the library didn't have a full selection so I can't say I've read everything by this author. But I remember the books as being very thought-provoking, and as I mentioned, I still think about them all this time later. According to many reviews I just looked up on Amazon, the books still hold up pretty well. Maybe we can spark a publisher's interest in putting them into electronic form. I wouldn't mind checking out some of the titles I missed in the past, but I'm really addicted to my Kindle....

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you like Stephen King you might enjoy "The Cell". I really enjoyed the book and could barely put it down.

Here is a review:

From Publishers Weekly
What if a pulse sent out through cell phones turned every person using one of them into a zombie-like killing machine? That's what happens on page six of King's latest, a glib, technophobic but compelling look at the end of civilization-or at what may turn into a new, extreme, telepathically enforced fascism. Those who are not on a call at the time of the pulse (and who don't reach for their phones to find out what is going on) remain "normies." One such is Clayton Riddell, an illustrator from Kent Pond, Maine, who has just sold some work in Boston when the pulse hits. Clay's single-minded attempt to get back to Maine, where his estranged wife, Sharon, and young son, Johnny-Gee, may or may not have been turned into "phoners" (as those who have had their brains wiped by the pulse come to be called) comprises the rest of the plot. King's imagining of what is more or less post-Armageddon Boston is rich, and the sociological asides made by his characters along the way-Clay travels at first with two other refugees-are jaunty and witty. The novel's three long set pieces are all pretty gory, but not gratuitously so, and the book holds together in signature King style. Fans will be satisfied and will look forward to the next King release, Lisey's Story, slated for October. (Jan. 24)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

G

·
You might want to check out these two classics:

The first book is actually a collection of related short stories detailing the role and legacy of one family through the next several hundred years and until the end of Humanity. Sadly, it is not yet on Kindle. At least not through Amazon. I haven't checked Baen.

The second book is a look at the new Dark Ages that develop after nuclear holocaust and Man's struggle to rebuild a civilization--this time around under the guidance of the Catholic Church, which was the only societal institution to survive the Armageddon.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone!

I guess I should say I have read ALL of King's works so yep I read The Cell. Oh and yeah I found the last few Left Behind book way too preachy but I skipped those parts ;D

Jim I sent a sample of that second book because it looked really good. I also have read its a classic in this genre but didn't want to get the DTB version.

I was hoping :

was kindled but it isn't. I use to love the movie.

G

·
Mistress Maggie:  I cannot praise either book highly enough.  I've read them both countless times.  Enjoy! ;D

Oh, and jmiked would agree with me. ;)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bacardi Jim said:
^^^Update: City is available as an Audible book.
Sadly I'm one of those readers who can't really enjoy audio books. The only audio book I enjoyed was World War Z.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
chobitz said:
Sadly I'm one of those readers who can't really enjoy audio books.
Same here. Which is why I'm not overly enthused by the Kindle 2's text-to-speech feature (even though it is potentially awesome and a killer app for the device).

·
Registered
463 Posts
S.M. Stirling's (two) series (post-failure of technology and laws of physics change):

Dies the Fire
1. Dies the Fire (2004)
2. The Protector's War (2005)
3. A Meeting at Corvallis (2006)

Change
1. The Sunrise Lands (2007)
2. The Scourge of God (2008)

E.E. Knight Vampire Earth (civilization after invasion and conquering of alien race):
1. Way of the Wolf (2001)
2. Choice of the Cat (2004)
3. Tale of the Thunderbolt (2005)
4. Valentine's Rising (2005)
5. Valentine's Exile (2006)
6. Valentine's Resolve (2007)
7. Fall with Honor (2008)
8. Winter Duty (2009)

·
Registered
92 Posts
You might try David Weber's Dahak Trilogy, available at Baen.  I think the first one, Mutineer's Moon, is available as a freebie, but the three novels are all available at a good price in one volume, Empire from the Ashes.  I enjoyed these a lot.

Book one has an amazing revelation about our moon.  Who knew?

Jim

·
Registered
947 Posts
The first Kindle book I read was

It was by an author I'd never heard of, but got good reviews, so I grabbed a sample. When the sample ended, I immediately bought it and kept on reading. Short version:

A virus is released by opening an artifact dating back to year zero, and it wipes out almost everyone in a very imaginative way (I won't spoil it). No one is immune, though some people are lucky enough to have no contact with it as it sweeps the world. Researchers decide that, because the disease is old and didn't wipe out the world 2000 years ago, at least some people at the time may have been partially (they got sick, but fought it off) or completely immune. So they begin cloning people from that time, in effort to find a viable antigen. There's a whole lot more facets to the story, but that's the gist.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Brian Keene has a fantastic end of the world series (2 books) that is actually about zombies.  I thought they were very well written and exciting :)

The Rising
City of the Dead

Good stuff!

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
In Her Name has a kinda of humanity wiped out by aliens thing going.. :)

Also Lucifer's Hammer and/or Footfall by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

And head over to www.baen.com and the free library has the Posleen series by John Ringo. I think it starts with "A Hymn before Battle" which is free!! A very good series!! All the wanton destruction of the Earth you could want.

1 - 20 of 314 Posts