Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of putting a disclaimer on my series books "All books stand alone and do not require reading of prior novels in the series" - good idea or no?

The potential benefit of course would be encouraging people to buy a book they find interesting without feeling obligated to have read the previous installments, against the potential drawback of, well, less people feeling obligated to read all the books in the series.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
glutton said:
Thinking of putting a disclaimer on my series books "All books stand alone and do require reading of prior novels in the series" - good idea or no?

The potential benefit of course would be encouraging people to buy a book they find interesting without feeling obligated to have read the previous installments, against the potential drawback of, well, less people feeling obligated to read all the books in the series.
All well-written series should be enjoyable on a per-book basis.

IMO the disclaimers should be written by people whose works do not stand alone.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I think you're overthinking it. As a reader, this would be fine by me:

In a land of typing, the deadliest novel has emerged. Now Charles McSmith is going to attempt the impossible.

He is going to try THE REVISION.

-----

Book One of WRITER'S BLOCK.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm sorry . . . am I getting this right?

glutton said:
Thinking of putting a disclaimer on my series books "All books stand alone and do require reading of prior novels in the series" - good idea or no?
Aren't those two things mutually exclusive? I mean,

1) either they "Stand alone", and don't require reading of prior novels in the series . . .
2) or, they don't "stand alone", and do require reading prior novels in the series . . .

I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm genuinely confused. Is there a mistake, or do I just need more coffee?

I'm struggling with that question myself. I'm in the middle of a series that will probably end up being 6-8 books, and I don't do recaps.

·
Registered
997 Posts
John Blackport said:
I'm struggling with that question myself. I'm in the middle of a series that will probably end up being 6-8 books, and I don't do recaps.
As a side note: that blue horse is awesome. Caught my eye instantly. Sharp cover, my friend.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
You don't need a disclaimer for any of these.  If its a series, then the naming convention should easily be seen and understood by a potential customer.  Labeling it book one, two, three.  People just aren't going to pick up a book clearly labeled as book two and say to themselves, "I'm going to start here." only to later curse your name because the blurb did not say to read book one first.

If your books are stand alone, then let them stand alone.  If you try to tell people they are part of a series, the first thing they are going to ask is what's the first book.  If your answer is that they are stand alone and they can start anywhere but they use the same characters, they will go cross-eyed on you and ask for the first book again.  Readers are smart enough to figure out that they don't need to read them in order on their own but you need to make that start decision for them.  But I think if you have a bunch of books that all share characters, similar cover scheme, and share a common main/subtitle then you are handicapping yourself if you try to market them as individual books and not a clearly identifiable and ordered series.  Even baseball cards are numbered so you can tell if you're missing any.

I am not the end all authority to this question, but so far the only time I have had someone ask me a question about my books and they turned it down was my answers to the following three questions:  Is there sex in it?  Is there foul language?  How much violence is there?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
If I were you, I'd post the notice.  It's useful for a reader to know they don't have to hunt down book number one in the series to be able to start reading it.  It helps nudge an impulse buyer into making a purchase.  Besides, it's especially helpful if the later books in the series are better than book one. 

1 - 8 of 8 Posts