Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always gotten VERY carsick when I read in the car.  I can not look at a map or read anything more than a one sentence direction at a time.  Forget reading books or magazines!  We took a 2 hour drive this weekend.  I grabbed my kindle - I just wanted to try to read on it in the car.  And it worked!! I can read on my kindle while my husband drives!!  This is big for me.  I always get bored on long car trips.  Yeah for the kindle!!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
hmmm I'm the same way - will have to try it out to see if it works like that for me too --

·
Registered
23 Posts
I need to try this as well though I'd probably be like crebel and still get sick.  I feel a kinship with people who can't read books or maps in a moving car.  When I was little, it was always mints and a bucket before heading out on a long trip.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I just noticed this same thing. Growing up, I could read in the car with no problem. As an adult, it makes me queasy. This weekend I took the kindle on a two hour drive and wasn't queasy at all.  ;D

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The only thing keeping me from reading when we're on a long car trip is that my DH WON'T SHUT UP.  Then when it's my turn to drive I'm exhausted and he goes to sleep.  ::)

·
Registered
599 Posts
I get sick reading in the car also, so I never bothered to try it with my Kindle. I may have to try it now! It would make road trips so much more interesting  :)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I'm not sure how the Kindle is any different than any other distraction, but since I get carsick the same way, maybe I'll try it!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wonder why that is?  I get terrible motion sickness, so I don't expect that the Kindle would make a difference.  For those who don't suffer with the Kindle, why do you think it's better?

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Could the adjustable font make a difference? Maybe the bigger letters do not require as much concentration.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
KimmyA said:
I just noticed this same thing. Growing up, I could read in the car with no problem. As an adult, it makes me queasy. This weekend I took the kindle on a two hour drive and wasn't queasy at all. ;D
That exact same thing happened to me, too. I was so happy...reading again in the car. Yeah!

L

(I've never had a problem on trains, busses or planes, however.)

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I haven't tried Kindle in the car (haven't found the auto-pilot in my car yet :D), but I'm the same as you, Leslie -- can't read in a car, but don't have a problem with larger vehicles.  Maybe some kind of minor claustrophobia/motion combo thing? I don't normally have claustrophobia though.

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
Put me down for didn't used to be able to read in the car but can with Kindle.  My theory is that with a book or a map, the page is not rigid so movement is not necessarily exactly the same all over the page.  But the Kindle screen is rigid so if there is movement, all the words on the page move together.  I think it's the slightly different movement that causes the problem on a non-rigid page.

Or, maybe I'm full of hot air. . .but I was thinking about it as I read on the bus on the way home today. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
This is intriguing--I can't imagine why it would work this way.  But like others, reading in planes/trains/ferries/etc. has never been an issue, while cars are. I may have to bully hubby into taking me someplace tonight just to try it!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I don't know why reading a kindle would be different. It's still reading, my head is bent down, looking at the kindle like I would a book, the words look like book text. Unless it's something about the screen that helps. I don't know. I'm just glad that I can read in the car again.  ;D When I was younger, my family went to the beach every year (four hours away) and reading is what helped me survive the long drive.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
SongbirdVB (but you can call me 641) said:
The only thing keeping me from reading when we're on a long car trip is that my DH WON'T SHUT UP. Then when it's my turn to drive I'm exhausted and he goes to sleep. ::)
OMG, my ex did the same thing!!! Drove me insane. I never got any rest on a trip. Men!!!
deb

1 - 20 of 38 Posts