Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, for some reason known only to the deep recesses of my brain,  ??? I've totally bypassed all of the Discworld books.

I'd like to correct that.

When I went to Amazon, one of the search terms that came up was having the Discworld books in order...except, from a thread on here, it looks as if Amazon didn't get that right.

So what I'd like to ask is...what book do I start with? What's the next in the series? And are there any that I should avoid because they're boring/too long/whatever?

I'm a huge fantasy fan, and it's embarassing to admit that I've missed out on all the fun of this particular series for such a long time.  :eek:

·
Registered
508 Posts
http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg

The above location will provide you the orders of the various story arcs (The Witches, The Death Books, The City Watch, etc.).

If you like, you can also go to Wikipedia and get a list in publication order.

Finally, the below link provides a really good introduction to the series as a whole...and all in a single page:

http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/discworld/

Kind of tells you what Sir Terry was trying to accomplish. Or, perhaps more accurately, what he actually accomplished while attempting to do something else entirely.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
If you want to read them in publication order, start with The Colour of Magic followed by The Light Fantastic (the only two books in the series that are truly a series -- the rest being more stand-alone, though often related to others).

For a graphic illustration of the various story arcs and relationships between the books, see http://www.ebookworm.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg (and my blog article about it).

For a complete list in publication order, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld#Novels.

I often recommend starting with Guards! Guards! or Wyrd Sisters, as they are the beginnings of the two strongest story arcs (IMO) and the point where Pratchett really gets things together in terms of character development and thematic elements -- not that the earlier books aren't good, but they might not grab you as totally as those two will. However, if you're an epic fantasy fan, you'll probably have no problem enjoying The Color of Magic as the loving parody that it is.

I started with Guards! Guards! purely through happenstance, got hooked, and then read everything available at that time in publication order. I've since read everything at least one more time, and many of them more than that, usually picking one story arc and reading all of them in sequence. So I've definitely gotten my money's worth. :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm not sure where I started reading him, but it was a long time ago and I read all I could find.  After that then I read them as they came out over the last ten years or more.  I'd suggest publication order, but I don't think you can go wrong where ever you start.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just ordered The Colour of Magic to see if I like what I read. (I have a feeling I probably will.) But I was sucked in by reading the first couple of books in the World of Time series, bought the next 3, only finished the next 2 before giving up on Book 5.

So we shall see what we shall see.  :)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I don't know if I would start with The Color of Magic. Even Pratchett admitted that it isn't his best work. I agree with reading "Wyrd Sisters" or "Guards, Guards!" first.

My first Discworld book was "The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents".

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
As others have said, they don't really need to be read in order - even within a story arc.  I think I started with Witches Abroad back in the day which is the 3rd of the Witches of Lancre arc and didn't feel lost at all.  I do find, though, that I need a book break between Discworld novels.  I can read 2 back to back but then I'm exhausted and need to read something unrelated to cleanse my palate ....

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Nancy Beck said:
Just ordered The Colour of Magic to see if I like what I read. (I have a feeling I probably will.) But I was sucked in by reading the first couple of books in the World of Time series, bought the next 3, only finished the next 2 before giving up on Book 5.

So we shall see what we shall see. :)
The "Wheel of Time" series (I'm assuming that's what you meant?) is different in that it is one continuing story in many (large) volumes. "Discworld" is more a collection of related yet separate novels, and as such I find they are generally fresher to me, compared to reading one book after another telling the same story and never seeming to get to the end. When you finish a Discworld book, you've finished that story (except for the very first book).

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I started reading Terry Pratchett's Discworld back in 1996, and I've been hooked ever since.

I recommend chronological publication order, but you can read the books chronologically by story arc if you wish, or just start with the standalone ones (Moving Pictures, Pyramids, and Small Gods are all great ones). My favorite are the "Death" books -- I love him! I wish we had books starring my favorite character more frequently. ;)

·
Registered
436 Posts
I read The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic first, then took a break for a month or so.  Then Equal Rites and I believe I'm going in the order printed at the beginning (end?) of that book.  I just left that book on that page so I flip to it and see what the next book is.  I work with a guy who said he bought all of them one year as a christmas present for himself.  Now that I'm on like... book 15 I think...  I can totally see where someone would do that.  I told my husband it will be several months before the credit card bill calms down.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I started with Pyramids and laughed myself silly, especially at the footnotes. I'd call it a good one to start with as it's stand-alone, but a few people I've spoken to have always recommending starting with the one they started with, so maybe that's just a thing with the Discworld books.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
NogDog said:
The "Wheel of Time" series (I'm assuming that's what you meant?) is different in that it is one continuing story in many (large) volumes. "Discworld" is more a collection of related yet separate novels, and as such I find they are generally fresher to me, compared to reading one book after another telling the same story and never seeming to get to the end. When you finish a Discworld book, you've finished that story (except for the very first book).
Whoops, that's what I meant.

My bad. :p Major brain fart.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, everyone, for all your suggestions.

Me, I have an obsession to start with the first book of a series, but it sounds like with this one, I can sort of pick and choose beyond the first, depending on how I feel, lol.

I remember starting on To the Nines in the Stephanie Plum series because the book was in fluorescent orange; kinda stood out from all the others. Loved it, went back and bought the first two of the series, and went on from there until my interest petered out around Book 15 (I think; something fairly recent). But I don't like to start that way because of how my brain is wired (Must. Start. At. Beginning. No. Matter. What.).

I'm hoping to get the book next week, so I'll see where I go from there (if anywhere).  ;D

·
Registered
286 Posts
The Tiffany Aching books were my daughter's gateway drug. Now, she's a full fledged addict; a sad state for a nine year old. I'd seek help for her, but since I share her addiction, that seems rather hypocritical.  ;D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts